southern Namibia, the C15, kgalagadi and Molopo

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

southern Namibia, the C15, kgalagadi and Molopo

Post by mushroom »

So its me, swambo, the mistress (imbongolo - '88 hilux 2.2 4Y) and 27 days. We decided to do southern Namibia and some other stuff on our own, no convoy, no sat phones. Just a toolbox, passports and some cash....and lots of beer :beach: :beach:

Leave Krugersdorp to Red sands Kuruman on the N14 - not a bad campsite, but saw better
DSC_0111.JPG
Then thru Upington, past the pienk padstalletjie - cold cokes, and an awesome story about some Oom who's cab was tusked by a charging elephant - the panel is on display..
DSC_0122.JPG
DSC_0123.JPG
Then to Augrabies campsite - where the baboons are so big the vervets even poefie themselves... :o: :o:
DSC_0134.JPG
The falls were amazing, even though there was very little water around
DSC_0162.JPG
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Re: southern Namibia, the C15, kgalagadi and Molopo

Post by mushroom »

Do yourself a favour and take walk to the twin falls if you havent already been there, very lekka..
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
DSC_0192.JPG
DSC_0192.JPG (74.06 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
Then we headed towards Pofadder and turned right about 70 kliks out of augrabies - see the following link for the map. Any co-ords can be given on request: viewtopic.php?f=156&t=20881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We hit our first gravel, and the imbongolo breathed a sigh of relief - now, not to break into a plitical slandering, but our Govament has spent millions on changing road names to things like Malibonwe and suchlike, but for whatever reason (perhaps cos its in the middle of nowhere!!!) they havent changed this one... :?: :?: :?:
sign.jpg
So through Ontseepkans border post - no questions on any meat, wood, beer, cheap ladies etc..and on to Ai-ais via Karasburg. Gents,and ladies, you have to stop at the SPAR here - lamb rib chops R55/kg !!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Ai-ais was as hot as Hades, and only the cold Fish river to cool off in.
DSC_0202.JPG
One night there and then we headed of to Hobas - passed this old rusty thing with bullet holes in it - something about a war remnant - could have been a Landy...
DSC_0217.JPG
Then to the Canon roadhouse for lunch - these okes know how to do it - in the middle of nowhere - order the venison schnitzel - kudu - excellent, especially when washed dwon with BEEEEEG ice cold Hansa draughts.... :thumbup: :thumbup:
DSC_0227.JPG
DSC_0227.JPG (84.39 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
Back to the Hobas campsite to chill :beach: :beach: :beach:
DSC_0244.JPG
Treated to an awesome sunset, and all was peacefull, with a couple of drops of rain...and then...
DSC_0252.JPG
DSC_0252.JPG (40.34 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
within minutes I heard what sounded like a Landy or twenty, running low on oil (as they do..) and we suddenly had a bloody mini tornado run through the camp. The Tentco RTT handled very well, my legs got sandblasted as I hid behind the bongi, and swambo was tucked in the cab. The camp manger came round after and said it was the first time he had ever experienced something like that, so I didnt feel bad changing my now dirty jocks.. :oops: :oops:

From there past Seehiem and Goageb to Aus where I had my first offer on the Hilux by the dude who is the village mechanic - declined the offer and went to have a draught at the Aus hotel. !0 kliks out of Aus is Klein Aus vista - very nice campsite.
DSC_0267.JPG
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

Two nights at Klien Aus, and then off to Luderitz. Now reports say the feral desert horses are not common to see. We rock up and count over 100 of these horses - just luck I guess.. :thumbup:
DSC_0309.JPG
Dont get to Luderitz on a Sunday, the place is deader than the ghost town up the road !! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: so the GPS said go to Dias point - found a little coffee shop which could sort us out with 10 oysters and a cold glass of wine right on the beach :beach: :beach:
DSC_0328.JPG
We camped at Shark island for two days, and went to Kolmanskop to check out the ghost town. Crazy to think they were picking diamonds up off the sand. :o: :o:
DSC_0355.JPG
If you are in Luderitz, on the road to the campsite at Shark island about 800m from the campsite on the left is a place which processes fresh oysters - stop in, have a cold one and plenty of fresh oysters. At R4 an oyster you have to (we ate 46 !!!).
Then onto the road I have dreamt of driving. The D707 runs between the Namib desert and the Tirasberg. When all the other 4x4's and tourists are driving on to Helmeringshausen turn left.....trust me, you want to do this part of the country. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
DSC_0392.JPG
DSC_0392.JPG (50.05 KiB) Viewed 6031 times
We stayed at a place called Namtib - spaced out campsites - only 6 of them, each under a big camelthorn tree, and a good 100m from the next oke....awesome place.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
DSC_0395.JPG
We were all alone, and has a couple of visitors. All small expect for this okie.
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0088.JPG (60.11 KiB) Viewed 6031 times
He was set free to roam for food that night, but the next visitor was definitely not what I expected...........
jgduvenage
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 4x4, Alu Cab canopy,Onca rear bumper, Onca rock sliders,front suspension lift.

Post by jgduvenage »

Very nice report!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Great so far.....next :thumbup:

ps. nice pics :wink2:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

LEKKER lees ek dan nou. :)
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Sounds like you had a whale of a time, James! ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

I like your pics, please post some more :thumbup: :thumbup:
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4X4

Post by arnize2 »

Ai, dit bring lekker herinneringe. Jy kan maar nog gooi. :thumbup: :thumbup:
RooiLux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria-Mayville
Vehicle: 1992 2.2-EFI Hilux 4x4 with Maus conversion,freeflow,Rear Electric Locker'2005 BMW 320i, 2015 Hilux 3d4d dc 4x4

Post by RooiLux »

[quote="mushroom"]So its me, swambo, the mistress (imbongolo - '88 hilux 2.2 4Y) and 27 days. We decided to do southern Namibia and some other stuff on our own, no convoy, no sat phones. Just a toolbox, passports and some cash....and lots of beer :beach: :beach:

Leave Krugersdorp to Red sands Kuruman on the N14 - not a bad campsite, but saw better
The camp sites re not that nice,we slept in the chalets when we went through there to kgalagadi but overall red sands is a very nice place but I also think they should upgrade the camp site maby some grass as there is not that much of it or even paved stands with some more trees.

Also don't think the red sand is very tent friendly.
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

Thanks guys, episode 2 of 5 will continue tonight... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ja Marius - shade is a premium at red sands, and the sand does get in everywhere :laugh2: :laugh2: but there was lots more sand to come ... :yahoo: :yahoo:
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

So where was I,...oh ja, the Namtib sunset, and the other visitor
DSC_0398.JPG
DSC_0398.JPG (41.19 KiB) Viewed 5960 times
So, at 02h00 I hear a crunching noise. Knowing its a brown hyena, I'm out the RTT kaalgat shouting abuse and gooing stones at the "brown" hyeana. Climb back in the rtt all proud.....crunch,crunch...grab torch, open door, look.....poefie myself, the biggest spotted hyena I have ever seen. This oke ripped our campsite a brand new ringpiece. Now folks, I always thought the "cadac" story was a fireplace story...this oke picked up a newly filled 7kg cadac bottle and just cruised off as if he was carrying a tiny chop bone. Told sawmbo all is well, as long as he doesnt go for the rtt cover wedged between the bullbar and the grill.....you guessed it right. When he tugged the rtt cover, and the whole 2 ton hilux lurched twice I really soiled my boxers. After a while he buggered off, but did leave some damage. The only benefit I missed was when he must have crapped out half our washing up bowl - he must have howled like no-ones business.. :evil: :evil:
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG
So, woke up and mourned the loss of the poef stool, the washbasin, and the near miss on the kettle and cadac cylinder. Quick chow and off to Solitaire via Bettas. Saw this cabbie, a real mix of everything but the lads at Ols Man Emu could learn a trick or two from this bloke.. :thumbup:
IMG_0117.JPG
then we hit the solitaire road...
IMG_0121.JPG
Get to Solitaire, too early for the apple strudel, and hectic traffic waiting for petrol - the bowsers empty..eish - poor planning okes.. :idea: :idea: :idea:
DSC_0548.JPG
DSC_0548.JPG (70.4 KiB) Viewed 5960 times
DSC_0552.JPG
so we jacked a jerry can into the cab and off we went to sossuslvlei. Hotter than hell, but an afternoon drive to Elim dune to soak in the sunset..
DSC_0460.JPG
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hope part 2 is going to be longer than part 1... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

Eish guys, made a hash of that one - solitaire was after sossus, not before, apologies... :alvarin: :alvarin:
Anyway - to continue...
Took a drive out to the sossusvlei and the dead vlei, I thought the deadvlei was better, swambo likes the sossusvlei - which had water in it !! not often that happens
DSC_0519.JPG
DSC_0523.JPG
DSC_0523.JPG (52.42 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
DSC_0532.JPG
Had the first of many scorpions come visit in the camp - just a tip: they are attracted to light, so sitting chowing your dinner with a headlight on is not a good idea, cos the okies want to climb your leg to get in on the feast..
DSC_0544.JPG
swambo bekuked herself...
Dont want to bore anyone so will skip the Walvis/Swakop mission - only to show the salt works in Walvis bay. Lekka colours around, but be prepared to get the cab salty and unhappy.. :cry: :cry:
DSC_0558.JPG
We ducked through Windhoek - with the obligatory stop at Joes Beerhouse - had the venison knuckle. About 1kg of kudu hindquarter....great stuff.
We then headed due south towards Mariental, but turned off on the C15 and then up another M road to camp at Bagatelle on the dunes. Very nice, with the campsites placed far apart and your own private shower, bodger box setup...swambo happy :laugh2: :laugh2:
DSC_0579.JPG
DSC_0579.JPG (43.07 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
Spent the night there and then stocked up in Marientall, where they have the best SPAR in Namibia - best meat at the best price. From there I needed to get to the C15, and didnt want to backtrack 25 kliks, so punched in the next destination and just drove. It spat us out of Mariental on the M29, what a lovely isolated road....didnt see anyone for about 70 kliks..
DSC_0598.JPG
We turned off the M29 and took a dune road to Gochas, the dune roads are very up and down...even my man boobies were bouncing up and down. At Gochas we turned right down the C15 to our next stop Red dunes campsite. Now Dr Piet (Oom) runs this farm, and whata lekka place. He is a champion, and his wife very nice too. They had a deep freeze full of Gemsbok steaks, springbok fillets and other venison things at a good price. He drives you about 3 kliks out into the dunes, and shows you to one of only three campsites. You will need low range to get to them :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
The bathroom is all outside under a tree, and the whole dune is yours.....people, go with me on this one, you have to stay here...
DSC_0605.JPG
will continue the red dune story......
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Need these red dune co-ords pleeeeeeez :thumbup:
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

OOOOMS wrote:Need these red dune co-ords pleeeeeeez :thumbup:
Send those co-ords please, I'm staying in Gochas for a few nights, so I would really like to check it out.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Great read and pics so far James!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: hilux 2.2

Post by Andre du preez »

Baie mooi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

Gents, the co-ords for Red Dunes
25 07' 48.07"S
18 56' 58.39"E
GO on to google earth and check it out :thumbup: :thumbup:
Will try and finish the report tonite - otherwise tomorrow evening :crazy: :crazy:
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

One cannot forget the red dune toilet area - which is for your exclusive use. Probably the best setting for a morning constitution that a man could ever want...check it out... :thumbup: :thumbup:
DSC_0628.JPG
DSC_0628.JPG (116.17 KiB) Viewed 5897 times
So hen we head off down the C15 towards Mata mata. Stop at the Kalahari bush lodge, and pick up some really good Gemsbok billo's for R160/kg - well worth the spend..
Get to the border post and see massive wood pile with a sign saying " N$ 8 balle" - I think to myself this is the best priced wood in the whole country. Big burly Nam customs dude comes strolling over to check vehicle and passport...
"Howzit my man, any chance I can but some of your cheap wood there?"
"ehhhhhh, NO, you must take your wood off of the veeehical"...oh sherbet....they confiscate ALL firewood, only for sale if your going into Nam. Lucky I only had a half bag on the roof. The newly wed dude and his new wife in the Hilux next to me have two BEEEEG mielie bags of wood...."Off the wood please sir"..I thought I saw a tear trickling down the poor okes face as I drove into the Kgalagadi Park...
Anyhows, mata mata, lots of game. Saw this old man with some porcupine quills stuck in his mane
DSC_0677.JPG
DSC_0677.JPG (81.65 KiB) Viewed 5897 times
Lekka campsite
DSC_0707.JPG
Saw lots of game, but its always the small things that make any trip into a game reserve, this poor okes horn went on its own mission, but he seems to be grooving along irrespective..
DSC_0874.JPG
DSC_0874.JPG (74.01 KiB) Viewed 5897 times
For those who have been in the Kalahari, and been treated to the chorus of the barking gecko's, with the help of a ranger I eventually found one. Little buggers relative to the noise they make.
DSC_0927.JPG
After 6 nights in the park we head out and due east to Van Zyls (the plan was to do the border road from the gate, but time was not on our side)
IMG_0306.JPG
Then took some back roads east, and after about 190 kliks stumbled across a cattle auction in the bush. Toyota country this is... :D: :D: :D:
IMG_0307.JPG
Got to McCartys rest and then took the border track east along the Botswana border. The road is good when on the river bed, but turns in every klik or so over the dunes, deep soft, red sand. Didnt see a soul - perfect.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
IMG_0311.JPG
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

That was the "river" road, heres one of the "dune"road
IMG_0314.JPG
Got to Molopo game reserve. What a great place. Cos its so bloody far, hardly anyone goes there. We were one of two campers in the place, and we saw the other okes once. Real bush solitude, you cant beat that. The tracks through the reserve are very sandy, and this gave swambo the chance to hone up her low range skills (after learning how ot lock the wheels !! :acute: :acute: )
IMG_0315.JPG
Driving around this reserve is just lekka... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
IMG_0327.JPG
DSC_0931.JPG
DSC_0931.JPG (44.73 KiB) Viewed 5897 times
The campsites are placed far from each other - as long as you can camp in sites # 9 and upwards.
DSC_0937.JPG
And after two nights here peoples, we had to head our way back to Krugersdorp. Will never forget this trip,....ever. Now to decide whether its Botswana, or Northern Namibia next year...mmmm, at least it lekka to have choices in life... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mushroom signing off, adios :wave: :wave:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Very, very nice :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tx for the great report and lovely pics :wink2:
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Thanks for the co-ords, will check it out :thumbup:
Elize
Town: DELMAS
Vehicle: VW Amarok

Post by Elize »

Molopo Game Reserve? Wat het jul betaal vir kampering? :)

Sal beslis volgende keer Red Sand onthou. Dit klink en lyk pragtig. :cooldude:
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

Hi Elize,

Molopo was R60 pppn and then a R25 per person park fee. Really reasonable and well worth it :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Kids are cheaper if they are under 12yrs
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Nice report James
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Post by Dodging »

I think you just helped me plan next year's holiday :thumbup:

Great read :cool:
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
Jingo73
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Zebra (Fortuner)

Post by Jingo73 »

9/10 for reporting skills. Lyk baie lekker
All things that are, are with more spirit chased, than enjoyed.
William Shakespeare
Wegbreek
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZTE

Post by Wegbreek »

Nice report and thank you for sharing.
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Racing snake »

Brilliant report, James. Only problem is next time all the campsites will look like the cattle auction. Realy enjoyed the pics, thanks.
Elize
Town: DELMAS
Vehicle: VW Amarok

Post by Elize »

Baie dankie. Gaan beslis Molopo onthou as ons Februarie Kgalagadi en Mabua besoek. Is nogal op pad huistoe.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Elize wrote:Baie dankie. Gaan beslis Molopo onthou as ons Februarie Kgalagadi en Mabua besoek. Is nogal op pad huistoe.
Hi Elize, sorry to forward this bad news to you but we passed Molopo 7 days ago, nice small park, however seems the 'management' were fast asleep and the cleaning staff were all on leave....for weeks before we arrived.

The ablutions were so disgusting one could not enter the area...........

Hope they sort this out quickly...sadly only in ZA..... :thumbdown:

Return to “Trip Reports”