africa trip part one..

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
african dust
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Seychelles + Montagu
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 4x4 22R LTD. Land cruiser FJ60, 1981, old and tough. Prado 150 vx v6.

africa trip part one..

Post by african dust »

Not quite certain of how to structure the report...so my apologies if the photos and story don't quite match.
quality control 102....all approve. The verdict is that roof racks were built for kids to have jungle gyms whilst travelling
quality control 102....all approve. The verdict is that roof racks were built for kids to have jungle gyms whilst travelling
what was an rough plan conceived one stormy night whilst sailing between the distant islands of the seychelles was finally hammered together with a leap of faith and some blatant taking a chance. Finances are always a limited thing. I needed to find a vehicle. I was nurtured on a landrover but realised that the way forward would have to involve a hilux. I trawlled the usual suspects of gumtree and the like. I found a great one but sellers regret steered it away. With the help of a friend and the verdict of Hoppy I found another one that was mechanically sound enough for my needs. It was really difficult buying something without having set eyes on it and relying on other peoples opinions.
I recieved the vehicle with mixed feelings..it was/is a classic case of a vehicle that was once loved once but passed through the hands of many who neglected the small things that when viewed together make a difference.
the rust is widespread, the paint is dull from standing out in the sun too long, there are dozens of wires and buttons that go nowhere, the door panels have been pulled off without any knowledge on how they actually come off time and time again !
But the true test of the hilux is the mechanics. This put the smile back on my face. Hoppy serviced it and gave it a thumbs up. It is rough as only a SFA can be..thirsty too.

We traveled from rondebosch to franschoek to montagu mostly on sand roads where the Hilux is far happier. Thanks to T4A one can avoid the tarmac quite well. In montagu we stayed at a place called Rainbow glen. Reasonable rates and great for kids. In town but a smallholding so have space for kids to run around safely and enjoy the farm animals they have there. Also at the doorstep to some good hiking to the hot springs.
Went to a farm that is owned by a friend. serious 4 X 4 potential....and this is were the wheels fell off somewhat...kids 6,4 and 7 months do not like to be shook up on a winding farm track for hours on end.....the missus too gets decidedly grumpy. So unfortunately that part was somewhat curtailled....for now. some pics posted to show the potential...maybe some in the western cape feel a need to join for a trip in the future. It is rough and wild. the 4 X 4 winds up for about 5km starting at 300m above sea level and ends close to 800m. Has not been driven for a few years...now there is a challenge!
unfortunately african flu laid us low for the last part of the trip ....so many things are left for the next time. Photos were the last thing on our minds sorry. The Hilux with diff-lock low range proved pretty unstoppable even with the wrong tyres. This is were the true metal is shown and the vehicle earned its name of the Komodo dragon ! the vehicle is now waiting for me in George and will soon make a visit to the people who will help sort out the years of abuse to the body. the money drain continues. Now back at home...we plan the next trip. Things we learnt:
- the hilux has a heart the size of a lion..they refuse to die
- Kids don't like being shook about in the middle of nowhere for too long..neither do wives
- the warm and hospitality of the small karoo is still there in abundance amongst the farming community
- this was just a taster trip.
thanks to all who helped.
Matt
Attachments
the main 4x4 left for another day. it is btw montagu and barrydale.
the main 4x4 left for another day. it is btw montagu and barrydale.
building the road as we went along.
building the road as we went along.
Is that a 4 X 4 track I see ?
Is that a 4 X 4 track I see ?
country roads...somewhere along the breede valley.
country roads...somewhere along the breede valley.
quality control 101....7 months is a good age to start loving africa and the vehicle that will take you through it ! ( mother hovering off picture to catch he if she falls)
quality control 101....7 months is a good age to start loving africa and the vehicle that will take you through it ! ( mother hovering off picture to catch he if she falls)
the other half of the lux looking over franschoek.
the other half of the lux looking over franschoek.
IMG_0771 (Medium).JPG
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: africa trip part one..

Post by OOOOMS »

Nice pics, tx Matt :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Thanks for the report so far....
To God be the glory
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Lovely thanks Matt
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Thanx Matt for the pics and sharing, good lessons learnt but with time the family will get used to being shook. I've also learnt to first make them comfy and that way with time there's less complains.

Good luck on next trip. :beach:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Nice story and pics!!
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Nice pics and trip report,thanks.great part of th world that :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Thrill of a lifetime, Matt! Good show!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “Trip Reports”