Kalahari Trip

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Rampie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: '10 Pajero Sport

Kalahari Trip

Post by Rampie »

We left on Tuesday for a camping trip into the red Kalahari dunes in the Mier vicinity. The company consisted of the trusted Hilux SRX and Prado3.4, both towing heavily laden trailers. Tuesday evening saw us camping just outside Van Zylsrus on top of a dune with views for miles at R60pp. Swambo tried her newly built-in kitchen unit in the Hilux for the first time and was very happy.

Wednesday we travelled through to Askham where we camped at Molopo Lodge, with camping costing R100 pp. This was the last stop before the red dunes so all equipment was checked and tanks filled up on Thursday before we left for Mier.

On the very last dune before our intended camp site the large trailer on the Prado broke. The rest of Thursday was spent trying to find a fix as everything was closed for a 100mile radius. Also the group was joined by our friends from Gauteng with another Hilux and a Patrol, the quads were playing the whole day and the kidz had a whale of a time.

Friday the Kalahari had other plans for us. A very strong wind blew most of the time and almost took the campsite out, but the afternoon we got some rain at least, which turned the pan into a skidpan and off course the kidz went crazy! Swambo refused to clean their clothes and dumped the lot on the poor unsuspecting ladies at the laundromat today.

Saturday early morning yours truly managed to miss the top step of the RTtent on getting out and took the quick way down, with a sprained ankle as the result. We packed up Saturday morning and returned to Kuruman as Van Zylsrus was fully booked with hunters. We only arrived at about 10pm after the new towhitch came loose and a burst tyre, to stay in the Klipwerf Guest House. Alda and Johan our hosts made us comfortable and even assisted with arranging food for 18 people from the local Spur.

Sunday saw everyone safely back home. I tried to add pics but the board wont even let me upload a small avatar.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Kalahari Trip

Post by BenHur »

Andre

Sounds lekker. How's the foot now? Take your pics to Eric if you do not come right. Looking forward to seeying them :wink:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Thanks vir die trip report Andre. Sal baie graag daai foto's wil sien :)
took the quick way down

Haven't we all done this at some stage :lol: :lol: :lol:
To God be the glory
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

CasKru wrote:Thanks vir die trip report Andre. Sal baie graag daai foto's wil sien :)
took the quick way down

Waar dink jy kom die vredefort dome vandaan?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

BenHurBul wrote:
CasKru wrote:Thanks vir die trip report Andre. Sal baie graag daai foto's wil sien :)
took the quick way down

Waar dink jy kom die vredefort dome vandaan?
Jy sien :lol: :lol: :lol:
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Rampie, tried to phone you twice today, but you were "unavailable".

Let me know if I can help you with the pictures.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Rampie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rampie »

F_D
Sorry about that, the days are just hectic and its one meeting after the next. My cell was with Henriette but she didn't tell me that you've phoned. Only got your voice mail this evening. I'll pop around with the photo cd.
Glad your diff's getting fixed!
Cheers
Family_BullDog wrote:Rampie, tried to phone you twice today, but you were "unavailable".
Rampie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rampie »

Only heard today that the Prado had a very close call near Welkom, similar to F_D's incident on the way back from Lesotho. Apparently an oncoming car simply overtook another, missing the Prado and trailer so closely that it cut and took both back tires off the quad on the trailer!! One rim also stuffed!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The problem with these large rigs that we tow is that due to the pure size of it one can't swerve out of the way.

Return to “Trip Reports”