1000 km roundtrip, 700km gravel, 3 Hiluxes, 5 days

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

1000 km roundtrip, 700km gravel, 3 Hiluxes, 5 days

Post by Hoppy »

The 3 Hiluxes left the Paarl tolgate just after 7 on friday morning, we stopped for breakfast at Ceres and filled the Luxes. We left the tar road on the famous Ceres/Calvinia strip and turned right soon after, a very wet Karoo was a pleasant surprize, atleast the heat and dust wasn't a problem.
The first two nights was spent at Swifty's farm called "Koedoesberg" (more about this later).
Day 3 took us towards the Tankwa karoo and up Ouberg pass into Sutherland for a quick stop, we left half an hour later towards Merwevllle and down another gravel pass with the best scenery you can imagine.
Day 4 woke us in a hunting cottage outside Merweville, we headed into town for a Breakfast(wich was served at lunchtime), we filled our fridges with Karoo lamb and headed through Laingsburg and towards Seweweekspoort, we set up camp under the trees at the Wagendrift Bush camp, another great find.
Day 5 we made a brunch and left on another scenic gravel road towards Ladysmith, Montagu and back to Cape Town.
IMG_0040 (Small).JPG
IMG_0067 (Small).JPG
IMG_0068 (Small).JPG
IMG_0286 (Small).JPG
IMG_0317 (Small).JPG
IMG_0322 (Small).JPG
IMG_0445 (Small).JPG
IMG_0445 (Small).JPG (34.03 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
IMG_0430 (Small).JPG
IMG_0430 (Small).JPG (75.07 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
1000km roundtrip, 700km gravel roads, 5 Days, 3 4x4 routes, 3 Hiluxes, 8 special people, thanks. :thumbup:
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 1000 km roundtrip, 700km gravel, 3 Hiluxes, 5 days

Post by Mud Dog »

Short-n-sweet Allan! :D: Nice pics, hope there's more to follow (I see you've already posted some from Wagendrift ;-) ).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

IMG_0153 (Small).JPG
A view over Swifty's farm, the only spot with Celphone coverage, a 90 min drive from the campsite!
IMG_0237 (Small).JPG
Coming down the 4x4 trail towards the campsite, co driving GI Jane :shock:
IMG_0355 (Small).JPG
The Pro Photographers at work!
IMG_0363 (Small).JPG
Leaving me behind.... again.
aev@iburst.co.za
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Seems interesting :thumbup:

You got my attention :dance1:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Lekker outing Allan. Dankie vir die pics
To God be the glory
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks friends for an amazing trip.... Wonderful company, driving through some of the best countryside, in the most capable vehicles...

The Karoo had quite a bit of rain before we arrived so we had some muddy patches to contend with. We only managed to due a small section of the 4x4 trail at Koeddesberg because of time constraints, but what we did do, had some interesting and tricky sections in the most beautiful surroundings... I love the Karoo and just being in that countryside is magical for me... Definitely would be great to get a group of hiluxers together for a weekend to do the trail. Martin (Swifty) thanks for your hospitality and making your piece of heaven available for townies to enjoy...

Oh and the really good news is, that I have stopped smoking.... Took only one packet of cigarettes with me which I finished halfway through the second day...thought it would be good to be with a group of non smoking friends to quit... and because they are good friends thought they could cope if I got grumpy, which I did'nt.... The dry birds nests in the trees started to look good at some stage and I thought that they maybe okay to smoke if I rolled them in toilet paper... but fortunately never got that desperate... In fact never got desperate at all....

Lots of driving during the 5 days... but off road and in places we miss because we are always in such a hurry... Sutherland was closed when we rode in to town... excepting for a supermarket, where I resisted the temptation to buy cigarettes, much to my friends surprise, who behind the scenes were taking bets that I would cave in...

All in all the scenery was spectacular, the gravel roads in pretty good conditions, the people we met in the small towns, very friendly...and of course my trusty Hilux was on her best behaviour for the entire trip...

Photo's, sorry never took many of those because I was driving all the time, but saw a good couple of places I need to go back to, to get those good shots...

Thanks Hoppy and family, and Altie and Susan for some unforgettable memories..
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Well done Val! :thumbup: Now it's just a case of resisting the urge if ever it arises. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Me and Val has a bet, i'm NOT going to chicken first! :cool:
aev@iburst.co.za
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

lyk na 'n lekker trippie julle.

voorspoed met die ophou rook, mens is nooit te oud om op te hou nie. My pa het na 35 jaar van gunston rook opgehou (pakkie 30 per dag), en hy is nou al 12 jaar sonder rook en is baie gesond.

Julle kan dit doen
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

IMG_1131 (Small).jpg
Dawn on Koedoesberg
IMG_0966 (Small).jpg
On our way
IMG_1182 (Small).jpg
Preparing Brunch on Ouberg Pass
IMG_1183 (Small).jpg
Brunch???, i need a smoke!!! :twisted:
IMG_1271 (Small).jpg
The Karoo is not always dry :yahoo:
IMG_1312 (Small).jpg
Parked at Merweville
aev@iburst.co.za
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Gooi daai pics Hoppy....nie geweet jy weet eens hoe nie ... :oops: :o:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Just some more nice pics my wife took with the SLR;
IMG_1378 (Small).jpg
IMG_1378 (Small).jpg (37.69 KiB) Viewed 3329 times
IMG_0905 (Small).jpg
IMG_0926 (Small).jpg
IMG_0926 (Small).jpg (36.53 KiB) Viewed 3329 times
IMG_1304 (Small).jpg
IMG_1319 (Small).jpg
IMG_1319 (Small).jpg (34.27 KiB) Viewed 3329 times
aev@iburst.co.za
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

baie nice :thumbup: So wat is jou bet. gaan jy ophou drink :mocking:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

OOOOMS wrote:Gooi daai pics Hoppy....nie geweet jy weet eens hoe nie ... :oops: :o:
Moet seker die een of ander tyd begin leer
Gideonvanzyl wrote:lyk na 'n lekker trippie julle.

voorspoed met die ophou rook, mens is nooit te oud om op te hou nie. My pa het na 35 jaar van gunston rook opgehou (pakkie 30 per dag), en hy is nou al 12 jaar sonder rook en is baie gesond.

Julle kan dit doen
Ek rook nie, ek is (was) n Coke addict, veral as daar Red Hart in is, ek het gese ek sal ophou Coke drink as sy ophou rook, dit gaan maar swaar, TAB doen dit nie vir my nie, maar ek kan nie dat die antie my wen nie!
aev@iburst.co.za
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Ek rook nie, ek is (was) n Coke addict, veral as daar Red Hart in is, ek het gese ek sal ophou Coke drink as sy ophou rook, dit gaan maar swaar, TAB doen dit nie vir my nie, maar ek kan nie dat die antie my wen nie!
Wipskie en water raak ook lekker.Sal jou kom leer :dance1:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Nee, daai goed maak my tande skurf en laat my ingels vloek, dit sal maar Red Hart en TAB moet wees vir nou
aev@iburst.co.za
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Hoppy wrote:Nee, daai goed maak my tande skurf en laat my ingels vloek, dit sal maar Red Hart en TAB moet wees vir nou
Dan drink ek liewers Red Heart en Rasberry.Niks slegter as TAB nie :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
ROOFER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

thanks for nice pics guys :thankyou:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Wat van Pepsi? :think: Rum met gemmer bier is ook 'n verfrissende alternatief, asook met yskoue rooibos tee ..... as die tee te bitter vis vir jou smaak kan jy dit met 'n bietjie 'glucose' versoet, baie meer gesond as om suiker te gebruik. :thumbup: Try dit. ;-)

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Awesome pics Allan & Val... Allan is the 1GR finally fitted in the KZ?
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks for the pics Allan and Suzette... Mr B have not posted any photo's only took a handful... was busy driving and just enjoying the beautiful surrounds..
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Val without you and your awesome Hilux in the pics, they just wouldn't be the same! Hehe!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Mr_B wrote:Awesome pics Allan & Val... Allan is the 1GR finally fitted in the KZ?
I sold the 1GR, i bought the complete drivetrain from George JVR out of that burnt KZTE, the engine and hubs was badly damaged, but i could use most of the drivetrain. I fitted a 2.8 Colt injector pump and dumped everything electronic, i get 1100km range from 135L tanks fully loaded, think it's better than the 1GR?

Ps: My 5D finaly packed up(water damage), i'm downgraded to a mik & druk, a G1X, it took all the pix exept the last lot Suzette took with her 7D. I didn't have the manual, got the camera as we left, so all the shots was on the green setting, full auto, think it can do much better on manual settings.
aev@iburst.co.za
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Hoppy wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:Gooi daai pics Hoppy....nie geweet jy weet eens hoe nie ... :oops: :o:
Moet seker die een of ander tyd begin leer
Gideonvanzyl wrote:lyk na 'n lekker trippie julle.

Julle kan dit doen
Allan, Help!!! taking strain today :beg: :beg: :beg: .... am really dying for a smoke and wanting to eat everything in sight.... my boxers are following me around the house, they must beware I will even eat them.... turning into pacman..... have to increase my gym to 4 hrs a day or else I will grow to the size of a house!!!!!!!! :aggresive: :aggresive: :aggresive:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

When i stopped smoking, i chewed bubblegum, in those days Beechies was still in flat boxes, i always had three flafours ready in my top pocket.
It's better now, you can get sugar free gum, less fattening.

Last night i needed something sweet, i looked at the Coke in the fridge.... ....i attacked the condensed milk instead.
aev@iburst.co.za
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hoppy wrote:When i stopped smoking, i chewed bubblegum, in those days Beechies was still in flat boxes, i always had three flafours ready in my top pocket.
It's better now, you can get sugar free gum, less fattening.

Last night i needed something sweet, i looked at the Coke in the fridge.... ....i attacked the condensed milk instead.
x2 Sugar free beechies work..... :thumbup:
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

Ek rook nie, ek is (was) n Coke addict, veral as daar Red Hart in is, ek het gese ek sal ophou Coke drink as sy ophou rook, dit gaan maar swaar, TAB doen dit nie vir my nie, maar ek kan nie dat die antie my wen nie![/quote]

Sorry Hoppie, bly om te hoor jy rook nie.

Om coke te los is net so moeilik, jy sal moet vasbyt.
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
Wickedwilley
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2000 SC Hilux 2.7

Post by Wickedwilley »

My reply at last!!
Thanks all for a wonderful trip. Val, how is the nonsmokers' club treating you? Here are some more fodies.
Attachments
_MG_3405_1.JPG
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Lovely pics and looks like an awesome trip, you guys mean coke or Coco-cola? :mocking: :lmao:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Wickedwilley wrote:My reply at last!!
Thanks all for a wonderful trip. Val, how is the nonsmokers' club treating you? Here are some more fodies.
Altie, that was one photograph... :tease: :tease: :tease:

Nonsmoker's club is great... Also thanks to you for leading the way and taking us through those amazing places...

And Donkey yes Coke as in Coca Cola .... that stuff that is loaded with tons of sugar and eats away at your stomach lining, and to be honest I think it is nearly as addictive as nicotine... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Trip Reports”