Onwards and...Hiluxing Southern Africa

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
rob-ffrey
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 2.4 Hilux D/C

Onwards and...Hiluxing Southern Africa

Post by rob-ffrey »

Hi all

My wife and I have been travelling in Os (nickname Zero's) for the passed month seeing plenty parts of Western RSA and then Bots. We absolutely loved every single place we have seen so far.

Our route, which can be recommended especially in terms of easy border crossings entailed...Cape Town, Cedarberg, Van Rhyns Dorp, Louriesfontein, Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mabuasehube (Kgalagadi & at this point north from the gate to Hukuntsi that has the cheapest and best fuel in the world) Kalahari Rest Camp along the A2, Maun, 3rd Bridge, khwai (river crossing was absolutely no sweat, though others had hair raising encounters with this point), Savuti, back to Maun, Khumaga (in Makgadikgadi - crossing the ferry at 120 pula for Os), the to Gweta and south towards Sua Pan crossing Ntwetwe Pan staying at lekhubu island (this is an amazing place - stunning stunning stunning, but costs 250 for two camping with nothing but a hole in the ground), then to Deception Valley and across to Tsau gate, Ghansi and now into Nam. We did very little driving due to our large time span. this was great for the vehicle and for our bones as the roads we chose were always the worst we could find.

We are currently in Nam and planning to head Northwards from Windhoek as the rest is close enough to do over a holiday in the future. Probably Spitzkoppe and onwards towards the coast, not too sure yet, will see when we get there.

A couple of tips we picked up: 3rd bridge still rocks. Costs less than most other Bots park camp grounds and the game was plentiful. cheetah, wild dog (daily) and lion. Leopard spotted by the couple in the next camp site. Savute is over rated and over priced. Not our favorite place, though seeing the canal full now is quite astounding. The swamps are heavily under water, so as hard as we tried to cross the wet tracts of land, we failed each time. There are new dry routes that Tracks4africa don't have on the latest version.

The salt pans and especially Baines Baobabs are such remarkable places that I highly recommend visiting this area...even if just for one or two nights. (a week would be overkill as the game is less and the scenery only changes if you move).

A couple of photos attached.

I ask very quickly for any information (good or bad) about the delta north of Etosha on the angolan border...any recommendations about travelling here, or not.

PS - our home built canopy is standing up brilliantly so far. only our one fridge runner is giving us any problems, the rest is status quo and the highlight of the unit are the built in glass wine-glasses!
Attachments
IMG_4886.jpg
IMG_5027.jpg
IMG_5164~1.jpg
IMG_5407.jpg
IMG_5486.jpg
IMG_5673.jpg
IMG_5587.jpg
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Re: Onwards and...Hiluxing Southern Africa

Post by GI Jane »

Looks like you guys are having a wonderful trip... enjoy
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

I wish I could be in places like that!!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Geoff, excellent, tx for sharing :thumbup:
rob-ffrey wrote:I ask very quickly for any information (good or bad) about the delta north of Etosha on the angolan border...any recommendations about travelling here, or not.
There are a number of places along the river near Ruacana bothe East and West. If there has been recent major rain a large amount of camp sites could possibly be flooded. But you will find :thumbup:

Very scenic along the river and then there are the Ruacana falls which when in flood are beautiful.

Shout if you require more info, and a quick search will also bring up some info and pics :wink2:

Njoy :thumbup:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Thanks for sharing. Like the pics
To God be the glory
ROOFER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

:thumbup: enjoy Geoff :!:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Great start, Rob! :D: These 'on the fly' reports are certainly more riveting but rely on connectivity and can limit the number of pics. Nonetheless, I look forward to you doing your best to overcome and will be following your progress with interest. :thumbup: Cool pics so far! :thumbup: ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Taljaag
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3D4D

Post by Taljaag »

Geoff you guys myst enjoy the trip.My trip to Namibia start next month.I will follow your trip report.Send the foto's.Thanks.

Life is Easy.....! It's the freakin' people that make it difficult!
rob-ffrey
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by rob-ffrey »

Yes thanks for the interest and info on the Namibian North. After a frustrating couple of days in Windhoek - simply because cities are not the target on our trip, we headed onwards to the Spitzkoppe. What a fantastic must stay place. The camps are basic to say the least, but the location is dramatic. loved doing a couple of short hikes in the area too.

From there an easy task was to get to Swakop and what a lovely coastal "city" this is. Lovely place for a short stay to rejuvinate. It was at this point that we have once more left civilization behind. Travelling along the beach for portions in the so-called Dorob national park (fishing mecca) and visiting the large seal population at Cape Cross (this place stinks but is very exciting with the seals right there in front of you, so might be good fun with younger kids). We immediately turned inland from here along what is apparently a 4x4 route. Rather a "clearance needed" road through some spectacular rock formations and desolate areas. We then drove to the middle of the Messum crater, still fairly good roads and turned off straight towards the Brandberg Granite Mountain. This road provided little challenge for Os, but was tiring due to rocks here and there that always pose a sidewall risk. Lovely place. There are numerous "camps" along the way that should defenitely be used rather than rushing through. A great time in a great place.

Tomorrow we begin our journey further north, attempting to stick to the Ugab river from Uis, where we have found a hot shower. Apparently this road is a slayer all the way to Rhino Camp. We will have to see and being a solo vehicle, we will take precautions. Have already arranged with the people here in town to call when we get to Twyfelfontein - 5 or 6 days from now.

I am also cautious of Divorce pass which leads north east from Rhino Camp, however will talk to the locals there about our options before proceeding - alternate is the Dorob crater to the north (apparently much easier).

From there still heading north towards Kaokoveld and intend to do Van Zyls pass and visit Ruacana, Epupa and the little delta if possible.

That is pretty much the planning we have completed...so wish us luck.
Attachments
View of Uis and the Brandberg in the distance...bit windy on this day
View of Uis and the Brandberg in the distance...bit windy on this day
Must be Sid
Must be Sid
Seals
Seals
NAM!!
NAM!!
Talk about a tin shack
Talk about a tin shack
Spitzkoppe in the morning light
Spitzkoppe in the morning light
Camp at the foot of a massive granite peak at  Spitzkoppe
Camp at the foot of a massive granite peak at Spitzkoppe
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Nice pics, Namibie is always beautiful anytime of the year :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Loooovly :thumbup:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Great Country, Great Pitches & Great Holiday...ENJOY :mrgreen: :taunt: :yahoo:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
rob-ffrey
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by rob-ffrey »

Well, we have now completed the Kaokoveld too and what a beautiful world this is. We went from Uis along the Ugab river. This is a tough drive indeed. We crossed several marshes and boulders, thick sand and of course overgrown tracks. All in all, this is not for the faint hearted but my goodness it was lots of fun for us. I would not recommend anyone go here in one vehicle as it is extremely isolated. Did I say this road is technical and tough...tough. We skipped only a short 2km stretch, as it was getting a bit too hairy for my wife and I on our own.

After this we went up Divorse pass and went to Gai Ais (a real genuine oasis in the dessert). Following this to Twyfelfontein, the road on T4Africa is apparently very tough, but we found the going here pretty reasonable and predominantly 4x2 type driving.

I can highly recommend the areas on the Ugab and the Huab. They are so beautiful and offer some tough driving...visit it in the holidays with a pal and you will love it.

Following this we went to Kamanjab and on to Ruacana. The river road to Epupa was very gruelling due to its length. Several small passes to go over and a couple of really scary bits where the river has eroded the bank beneath the track. A land cruiser must have fallen in within the last year or so at this point, so a real danger lurks here.

All in all the scenery is once more brilliant, but the road gets a bit tiresome...very do-able though.

From epupa, which is a wonderful spot to visit, we travelled to Van Zyls pass camp, where we did camp with their very good facilities. Tackled Van Zyls, which though scary after the viewpoint is totally do-able and ended up being a fun morning out. At the top of the Marienfluss we had a wonderful camp site at Camp Syncro which can be recommended and even found a spot to swim, avoiding the very evident big crocs in the water.

We went all the way south passed red drum and free camped around 25km north of Puros. We were fortunate to find the dessert ellies in this area near Puros and they are quite something living out there in the dessert.

The water levels on all the riverbeds we drove are quite low and only some of them are flowing, crossing these is a piece of old takkie at the moment.

We eventually got down to the huanib and traced this for several km. also a lot of fun and three more elies on the way. Lots of lion and leopard evidence and tracks, but no luck for us.

Sesfontein had very limited stocks in the shops, but did have fuel. We later on drove all the way up the khowarib river bed which is dusty in patches, but remains the thickest sand we have encountered on this portion of the trip. It was 50km of tough, thirsty stuff.

Now in Grootfontein after a brief totally over priced Etosha stay - SA reserves are much more worth while and therefore enjoyable. Heading for Khaudum this morning.

Have a good week, will load pics when we have more bandwith.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Ts Geoff, seems you are all over!

Njoy Kaudom, don't expect much (camp site wise) ....

Buy beautiful and isolated indeed :thumbup:

Return to “Trip Reports”