December 2012 trip

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: 96 Hilux 2.4 efi DC SFA, Gomad canopy,

December 2012 trip

Post by Tonto »

DECEMBER TRIP 2012
After owning a Hilux 1996 for 2 years, the opportunity arose to take a trial run to PE for the Christmas period. After sorting out some sort of packing system and building a new battery box for the auxilliary battery, I mounted my Engel 40 l on the back seat position and off we went.
We travelled from Paarl through Bainskloof to Ceres and then to Laingsburg. There we bought some biltong and droewors for the trip and a plastic 9 liter bucket from one of the most interesting stores still operating.[we looked for a galavanized bucket but could find none] From there we visited the Floriskraal dam and proceeded to our first nights campsite.
At Sandrivier, Op die plaas camp, we spend the evening watching various bird species visiting the dam, all at their own time spot. The only ones enjoying permanent residence being the "waterhoenders". We were the only residents and it was pleasently quite and relaxing. This first nights camp gave us some time to sort out how to pitch our newly aquired awning, and I must admit, it was not designed for speedy assembly. The awning is quite solid however.
After a nice hot shower, we proceeded the next morning through the Seweweeks poort to Amalienstein. Then to Calitzdorp to buy some veggies for the next few days. It was schorchingly hot in the Little Karoo.
We took the dirt road through the foot hills of the Swartberg to De Rust.
Here we had lunch at the Village trading post under the water coolers who fought a loosing battle against the extreme heat.
After lunch, we were supposed to be on our way to the Baviaans, but I saw the alternator was nor charging. A local helpfull guy tightened the loose connection on the alternator, but this did not help. We were referred to a auto electrician in Oudtshoorn, where the voltage regulator was replaced after waiting for the engine to cool down.
Hats off to Quinten and his guys who suffered in the 45 degrees heat. The charging voltage was down, but at least we got some results. I put it down to the heat. We filled up in Willowmore and proceded to the Baviaans. On the way to Bo-kloof, our first two nights stand, the alternator stopped charghing again. I thought it might have been one of the river crossings we went through a bit fast, but there was no recovery and this left us with a big problem.
We were to spend 3 nights in the Baviaans and could not travel without a working alternator. Quintis and Anine form Bo-kloof guest farm were the perfect hosts and accomodated us in one of their guest houses as we were greeted by a impressive electrical storm and were too late to set up  camp.
The next morning we pitched camp and I took some time to check all connections. After cleaning the terminals, I got a full charge! I let the engine run for a while to allow everything to heat up. The charging indicator stayed in the green. I then used my Benton charger to get the 105 ah Deltech high cycle back up to speed. The power kept on failing due to the electrical storms, but I managed to get it up to about 80 percent.
We spend the rest of the day in the kloof to get away from the heat and realized once again that we live in a beautifull country with lovely people. The next morning saw me under the bonnet within 200 metres from the campsite with the same charging problem. I realised by now that the problem could only be connections and I re-crimped the connectors on the terminals and that sorted the problem once and  for all.
We spend the rest of the day travelling the Baviaans and enjoyed the splendour and water. We pitched camp at Rooihoek and had a nice swim in the pristine pool while 2 monkeys raided the vehicles. In hindsight we should have been more carefull, but we saw no monkeys in the campsite and very little in the wilderness area. No damage was done and we were more carefull following their visit. A huge bushbuck ram walked through our camp towards the evening and made our day.
On the 24th, we left Rooihoek and travelled the rest of Mr. Bains longest creations to Patensie and then PE for Christmast with the family. I had chance again in PE to plug the Engel into a 220 vac source and gave the Deltech a rest.
From PE we travelled to Natures garden and the next day through another of Bains creations to Angies G-spot in the Prince Alfreds pass. After some good conversation and refreshments, we went down the excellent Montague pass to George and on the Mosselbay. We had time again in Mosselbay to connect to Ac power and I charged the Deltech, which was getting lower all the time. It was obvious the aux. battery was not charging properly although we travelled quite a bit during the day. The alternator also does not seem to be up to the task as the voltage drops to 12,8 volts with the fan, aircon and 2 Batteries running. This does not seem to be enough to charge the aux battery.
After the aux battery was fully charged, things seemed a bit better with the alternator keeping up better. We then proceeded to Cape Agulhas via the Malgas pontoon. Quite a change of scenary from the very green Eastern Cape, but I can only imagine the splendour of this area in winter! From Agulhas we travelled through Elim to Stanford and on to Hermanus and Onrus. Luckily the massive fires have subsided and we had no delays. It is sad to see the destruction caused by these unneccessary fires to the environment.  

The complete trip was 2200 km with an average fuel consumption of 6.4 km/l. Bit heavy, I will have to get the set up checked once back home.
Some good thoughts:
We really have a beautifull country. You can have great fun in an old Hilux. There are a lot of places where you can stay for the night without it costing you an arm and a leg. Thomas Bain must have been a exceptional man. Hankook AT tyr.es works well. The Baviaans rules OK. Bo-Kloof is worth at least a day. Gomad canopies works well. Led lights are worth it.
Some things I would like to change:
My packing system. The door rubbers on Rooi Oog. The aux battery charging system and a bigger alternator. Get a solar panel. Spend more time at Angies G-spot. Get a better camera. Worry less about security in the "civilisation". Reduce the heat transfer from the gearbox into the cab.

I would also like to travel all the Bains passes. [is it still possible to drive the Bloukraans?] Apart from the charging issues, Rooi Oog never missed a beat.

Photos will follow.
A good 2013 to all,
Regards, Andre and Marlize.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: December 2102 trip

Post by CasKru »

Thanks for the TR and glad you got the alternator sorted (sort off). The standard alternator on the old SFA's just can't produce the power we need. IIRC they are 45Ah. With all the electronics we add on they just can't cope. They can however be rewired to a 90 or 95Ah alternator which generate the appropriate amount of juice.

Looking forward to those pics
To God be the glory
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks Andre, for a wonderfully detailed trip report... I agree that we live in the most beautiful country, we just need to get out there and see it...
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Nice trip report Andre.. En baie nice plekke wat julle besoek het. Dit klink na 'n trippie om te oorweeg in die toekoms, die SuidKaap is baie mooi. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: December 2012 trip

Post by Mud Dog »

Nicely detailed report Andre'! :thumbup: Looking forward to the accompanying pics. ;-)

( P.S. Changed the year date in the topic title, since otherwise you would have done the trip 90 years in the future .... or have you discovered time travel. :D: ;-) )
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Excellent trip report, Andre!

The standard SFA Alternator varies from 40 to 70A according to the Service manual. The early models (40A, 45A, 50 or 55A) were fitted with an external Voltage Regulator while the later models (40A, 45A, 60A or 70A) had a VR integrated with the Alternator.

It would be wise to ensure that if you do fit an upgraded Alternator, that you fit a heavier duty cable from the Alternator as well.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Andre, lekker trip report dankie. Verlang sommer terug Baviaans toe en sal self nie omgee om die Bain passe te ry nie. Behoort nogal n lekker trippie te wees. :thumbup:
Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tonto »

More to follow
Attachments
8 Bo kloof aircon.JPG
(145.68 KiB) Downloaded 1042 times
6 Friendly repairs.JPG
5 Swarberg mountains.JPG
4  Entranve to7 weeks.JPG
3 First night camping.JPG
1 Baviaans bo!!.JPG
7 a Bokloof thunderstorm.JPG
1 7 weeks farming.JPG
ROOFER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

Thanks for the trip report pics Andre' really nice !!!
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

:thumbup: thanks for the lekker trip report,some great pics there :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Self lus vir 'n trippie.

Thanks vir dit.................en jou trok lyk goed. :thumbup:
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tonto »

Mud Dog wrote:Nicely detailed report Andre'! :thumbup: Looking forward to the accompanying pics. ;-)

( P.S. Changed the year date in the topic title, since otherwise you would have done the trip 90 years in the future .... or have you discovered time travel. :D: ;-) )
Thanks Andy, although some of the places made us feel if we were indeed from the future!
Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tonto »

CasKru wrote:Thanks for the TR and glad you got the alternator sorted (sort off). The standard alternator on the old SFA's just can't produce the power we need. IIRC they are 45Ah. With all the electronics we add on they just can't cope. They can however be rewired to a 90 or 95Ah alternator which generate the appropriate amount of juice.

Looking forward to those pics
Thanks Cassie, it seems that some type of charging regulator with a solar panel is the preferred option other than spending more money on increasing the current and then you have to drive for long periods as the battery cannot take the full charge in any event.
Does anyone know if the guy in Stellenbosch is still active? I think he supplied the BC 1212 chargers.°C
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Nice TR Andre, sounds like you had a good time, nice photos. :thumbup:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Nice Trip Report, thanks for sharing, Rewire your alternator to 70/75A then it will be fine. A Solar Panel will also not be wasted for bush camping.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tonto »

Thanks guys,

Here follows the last of the photos.
Attachments
21 Little thief tracks.JPG
22 Trophy ram.JPG
23 Beaut till the end.JPG
25 Prince Alfred pass.JPG
26 Not so bad at all.JPG
27 Montagu pass.JPG
29 3 man power.JPG
30 Agulhas.JPG
Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tonto »

this precedes the previous.
Attachments
9 Dont feed or speak to them (Copy).JPG
(225.53 KiB) Downloaded 976 times
12 Nice camping at Doringkloof.JPG
14 Baviaans got talent.JPG
18 One of Bains creations.JPG
19 Refreshments from everyside.JPG
20 Lovely Rooihoek.JPG
4x4Maniac
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Very Nice TR Andre, would love to go there on day...
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Post by mushroom »

Great report and awesome phodies !! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Tonto wrote:Does anyone know if the guy in Stellenbosch is still active? I think he supplied the BC 1212 chargers.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ek weet Jean verkoop die eenheid en n paar manne hier het ook al by hom draai gemaak.

Hoop dit help Andre.
Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tonto »

Dankie Niel, sal bietjie lees.

Return to “Trip Reports”