Botswana/Namibia

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Sebata
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Botswana/Namibia

Post by Sebata »

A tale of 2 brothers, 2 countries and 1 Hilux

Day 1
Our day one started @ Vaal, where we had to attend to a traditional wedding ceremony, meat was galore, coz two sheepskin were slaughtered and were also given Patkos , which should last us approximately 2 days.

We left Vaal for this S25.47004 E026.08114 , where we were supposed to camp for the night, well as we got there @ 20h00, the owners told us we can't camp there coz the place is booked out for some wedding. We drove around till we reached S25.56323 E025.66282, well that's pretty much middle of nowhere. We quickly opened up RTT & got some rest, only to be woken up by SAPS, interrogating us, why, we are sleeping there & ended up accusing us of rhino poaching, REALLY??

Day 2,
After the SAPS drama, we woke up @ 7h00 & we did all the necessities that a man must do after waking up, warmed up the patkos that was packed for us, off we were on the road heading towards the Pioneer gate to cross over into Botswana, an hour & half later we were on the road towards Lobatse to fill up the truck.

466 kms later we checked in @ Kalahari rest camp, RS23.51368 E22.61227 Rian & his crew were welcoming, paid P80 pp, for quite a nice camp spot & 30 min later the crew started the donkey, amazingly even Donkey was happy to have a nice hot shower. After the shower & supper we hit the bar to have a taste of the local beer ST.Louis. Nothing to write home about that beer, I'll stick to my Castle lite thanks you.

Looks like Lady Luck smiled on us, coz we were chilling in the bar, late arrivals check in, Gustav and his crew were from Randburg plus we had a guy from CA that joined us, we joburgers know how to party, the rest was history as the heads were sore in the morning.

Day 3

Myself had a lovely rest and some peace, twice I woke up to go pee. Quickly made breakfast and since I had a shower last night, why would I waste water? Anyways the Donkey had figured out a sweat rate, which translated to one shower per 3 days! Checked out and went to fill up the truck some 20 odd Kay's down the road. As we head to our next campsite, which is 65km outside Ghanzi - El Fari, we stopped to help a guy on the side of the road in a Cruiser 80 series that had electrical problems, but sadly could not be of any good but another guy who had also stopped, offered to tow him to Ghanzi. We stayed with them for about 180km until town and helped looked for an auto electrician Who sorted the problem in mins, lots of smiles and cured cruiser ego and lots some pics off we went on our route.

Stocked up on essentials at the Spar in Ghanzi, and of course some Mother's Milk. Got to El Fari and the owner very welcoming. We were the only campers and had more peace. Ablutions are out of this world and I had to break my cycle and shower less than 3 days as my plan. The facilities come 2nd in my books after the ones at Thaba Monate in Warmbarths.

Quick breakie and we were off to our next campsite, Guma Lagoon.

Day 4,

After leaving El Fari, we headed North east in search of our next home being Guma Lagoon, according to GPS it was supposed to be 253kms away, but as luck played tricks on us our coordinates were totally out & ended up taking a wrong turn into the bush, followed the jeep track till we flipped the coin to see if we turning back or forward, that was after good 51kms of nothing, we headed back to the main road, continued on our north east direction, 20 kms down the road, whalla , the sign to Guma Lagoon. Now the smiles & beers came alive again.

We followed a love jeep track down to the river for about 15 km, and well, the scenery is out of this world, lovely camp site as well. Donkey was happy that his fishing rods will come out to play. Formalities were done, paid P110 pp. had our supper and we were warned of the hippo that comes to visit campsite in the middle of the nite, Donkey put few can on a string and tied them on the entree to our campsite as a early warning system just in case our visitor comes, we'll seems like it worked coz in the morning we saw the foot prints rite by the alarm...

Donkey had lekker time fishing and off we left for the Namibia border.

Day 5,

Through Mohembo border post we entered Namibia, effortlessly we were in, headed North east in search of Gwabacoa/N//bacoa community camp, lovely camp site rite n the Popa falls, we got a campsite with the viewing deck of the fall, which we decided we will pitch tents on, after supper beers flowed normal as per usual norm, as soon as we hit the bed, terrible storm hit us and almost had my tent blown away with me inside, jeez, had to quickly wake up, pecks my tent together with Donkey's and hoped for the better, terrible nite.

This same night I used my two man tent, quicker to pitch, but I too got rained in cos open vents and saw myself seeking refuge in the Lion's tent. Morning eventually came and storm was gone and so we looked forward to another day in Africa.

Day 6

After a lovely brekkie we decided to the picnic area, which is a small beach overlooking the river, nothing more than 30m. Under-estimated the depth of the sand and we got stuck in sand more than knee deep of it. Tried all sorts of tricks to come loose without any luck. Eventually thought I would winch in rocks under the spinning wheel. That trick worked only to move us about a meter to solid ground. We continued to battle until we decided to go look for help at the nearby prison 4 km away. This was around 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Managed to get a prison tractor to help - two prisoners and a guard came to assist. Got unstuck and off to the garage for daily supplies and more beers. Got to the next campsite around 19:30 and they were fully booked but owner, Andy let us camp on his lawn for the night as there would be space available the next day.

Day 7 and 8 and 9

Still camping at Samsiti and enjoying ourselves. Made friends with a couple and camped next to them, they happen to own a boat and now and then enjoyed a ride with them. When stopped we'd take turns fishing -what more do you ask for? How long we will stay here I do not know, but what I do know is it the best place so far and the host so friendly. As I write this report now I'm on the top deck sipping on a cold Windhoek Lager, boat slowly making waves as we head upstream, cool breeze encapsulating my upper body from the back, man! This is the life I had in mind.

Our adopted family kept us quite busy, with free boat rites, we even touched Angolan, soil without being noticed by authorities, risky I tell you. After lunch, we joined the local BEE guys who had, year end function @ the swimming pool with their staff. Well, we drank till we almost crawled to our tents, 30 meters away.

Day 10,

Started bit emotional, as we had to bid farewell to our adopted family and a very homely campsite, we called home for 3 days. Now it was time to search for our new home, SW we drove, on the Ruacana direction, we got delayed at one of the check points, where we were unceremoniously made to cook all the meat left in the freezer, because there was no way we were leaving all that meat there, but we still managed to sneak in some raw meat, hidden under the beers.

So we cooked our lunch in front of the gate, and we were on the road again, with the time against us we opted to rather spend a night in Grootfontein, found a neat campsite (Mauri). We again made friends here as we found 2 couples from Poland, who started their trip in JHB, they told us, they have done Swaziland,Zim,Bots, Nam and going back to Jozi, some people are lucky to have a five weeks holiday.

Day 11 & 12,

We left Grootfontein quite early, to avoid the morning sun, we reached Otjiwarongo just as the city was starting to buzz with everyone, doing their last minute Xmas shopping, Wimpy breakfast came handy and we went into Spar to stock up on necessities then we were off to Etosha, for a day trip, on our way we checked in at Ombinda lodge, just outside Outjo. Lovely campsites, the place must the 4 star of campsite, so we quickly set up camp, met the neighbors, whom were also from GP, soon the campsite was flooded with GP cars and we turned the place mini Gauteng. Myself and Donkey we then hit the bar, well the rest is history and that's when a drunk old man started a racial war with us, which we vowed never to back down on, we quickly went all Joburg on him & taught him a lesson.

On Xmas we decided we are not going to drive, so we extended our stay, and the owners told us there will be serving a 3 coarse Xmas buffet for R130 pp, well Donkey just couldn't stay off the sea food. After lunch we jumped into the pool, just to sober up, and continue and yes we woke up with a moerse bhabhalas.

Day 13,

With heavy heads we got on the way towards Torra bay what a lovely scenery through the mountains, then desert,never thought I would make it this far, the gravel road was awesome. Begged they guy at the gate to grant us permit to drive through the Skeleton national park as he was about to close, papers sorted, drove to Torra bay which we found full of SA cars, so this is where this guys. Escape to?, found a nice camping spot , close the shop of cause for beers & closer to the beach. Lovely day overall, drinking ensued.

Day 14,

Left Torra bay early and had breakie at Hentiesbay, from there we pushed to Swakorpmund. Bit of fun then we headed to Windhoek, after struggling to find a campsite, decision was taken to have supper then shoot straight home via Rietfontein. Pushed thought the nite, reached bode rpost @ six.

Overall an awesome timeout, every penny well spent. Of cause we are doing it again.

:celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate:

Donkey will follow it up the the photos to complement the report :celebrate: :celebrate:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Botswana/Namibia

Post by CasKru »

Thanks for the TR. Look like you guys had a lot of fun. Looking forward to those pics
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds like you had heavy consumption figures .... how many kilos to the pint? :twisted: Geez, with all the partying, did you even get time to take pics? :D:

Well it sounds like you had fun all the same! :thumbup: ...... Waiting for those pics! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Sebata
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds

Post by Sebata »

ok if my maths hasnt failed me, i think we went through 8 cases of beer & a bottle of scotch.

here is the few that i managed to take during my sober moments :tease:
Attachments
IMG-20121224-00267.jpg
(115.38 KiB) Downloaded 1432 times
IMG-20121224-00266.jpg
(135.62 KiB) Downloaded 1432 times
IMG-20121219-00264.jpg
(116.55 KiB) Downloaded 1432 times
IMG-20121219-00263.jpg
(149.75 KiB) Downloaded 1432 times
IMG-20121218-00255.jpg
(187.98 KiB) Downloaded 1432 times
IMG-20121218-00254.jpg
(109.68 KiB) Downloaded 1432 times
IMG-20121217-00251.jpg
(158.9 KiB) Downloaded 1432 times
IMG-20121217-00250.jpg
(162.1 KiB) Downloaded 1432 times
Tau Sello
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Don't want to alarm you... but there is a donkey on the roof of your truck :twisted:
To God be the glory
Sebata

Post by Sebata »

some more from the semi-soberness
Attachments
IMG-20121226-00276.jpg
(150.69 KiB) Downloaded 1425 times
IMG-20121226-00275.jpg
(134.54 KiB) Downloaded 1425 times
IMG-20121226-00274.jpg
(158.96 KiB) Downloaded 1425 times
IMG-20121226-00272.jpg
(142.68 KiB) Downloaded 1425 times
IMG-20121226-00271.jpg
(142.71 KiB) Downloaded 1425 times
IMG-20121226-00270.jpg
(145.09 KiB) Downloaded 1425 times
IMG-20121226-00269.jpg
(147.71 KiB) Downloaded 1425 times
IMG-20121224-00268.jpg
(111.75 KiB) Downloaded 1425 times
Tau Sello
Sebata

Post by Sebata »

eee, looks like i still have more.... and all were taken with a blackberry :blackeye:
Attachments
IMG-20121226-00286.jpg
(99.39 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times
IMG-20121226-00285.jpg
(127.29 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times
IMG-20121226-00284.jpg
(89.59 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times
IMG-20121226-00283.jpg
(84.21 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times
IMG-20121226-00282.jpg
(76.07 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times
IMG-20121226-00281.jpg
(141.23 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times
IMG-20121226-00280.jpg
(173.91 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times
IMG-20121226-00278.jpg
(135.57 KiB) Downloaded 1423 times
Tau Sello
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

CasKru wrote:Don't want to alarm you... but there is a donkey on the roof of your truck :twisted:
Donkey or dronkie ??! :twisted: :lol:

Some nice pics in there! Thanks guys! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Post by mushroom »

Awesome trip report (about bloody time !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ) - a some great shots off the Blackberry....my only concern...there was mention of a cruiser that had to go to an auto electrician, yet the sticker on the side of the bakkie in pic 1 say auto electrical :?: :?: :?: :?: ...perhaps I'm dronk :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I'm glad the overlanding bug has bitten.....see you in another country sometime ?? :yahoo: :yahoo:
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Nice, thanks for sharing. If you finished the beer & scotch on the first day, what did you drink on the rest of the trip? :taunt:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Thank you Sebata for the TR, busy resizing and will post more pikchas tonight still.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
IISARGE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: brackenhurst ext2
Vehicle: 2700i 4x2 hilux

Post by IISARGE »

very nice tip report great pic guys but donkey already having problems with donkey :?: :confused:
IMG-20121226-00281.jpg
(141.23 KiB) Downloaded 1371 times
Piece of Cake...!
ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Some pics
Attachments
29.JPG
Morning after nearly arrested
(68.58 KiB) Downloaded 1364 times
Dr Long with his younger sister, the bride
Dr Long with his younger sister, the bride
23.JPG (60.61 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
Traditional ceremony
Traditional ceremony
16.JPG (73.82 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
First night camping at home
First night camping at home
15.JPG (61.4 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
our cousin, Dr Long, walking the bride out
our cousin, Dr Long, walking the bride out
18.JPG (62.54 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
7.JPG
7.JPG (70.38 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
Some home brew
Some home brew
6.JPG (60.01 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
4.JPG
At the family gathering prior to departing
(74.75 KiB) Downloaded 1364 times
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

More pics
Attachments
About to set up camp at El Fari
About to set up camp at El Fari
49.JPG (72.95 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
Ghanzi auto electrician
Ghanzi auto electrician
44.JPG (63.39 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
Guys that were stuck getting help in Ghanzi
Guys that were stuck getting help in Ghanzi
43.JPG (67.11 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
Kalahari Rest Camp
Kalahari Rest Camp
46.JPG (83.47 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

more
Attachments
Animal print
Animal print
80.JPG (95.39 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Animal prints in the morning
Animal prints in the morning
79.JPG (94.18 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Guma Lagoon, with alarm in place
Guma Lagoon, with alarm in place
78.JPG (92.59 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Still going to Guma
Still going to Guma
68.JPG (77.23 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Met this youngster en-route Guma, but he couldn't help us
Met this youngster en-route Guma, but he couldn't help us
62.JPG (87.31 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
En route to Guma Lagoon
En route to Guma Lagoon
53.JPG (70.6 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

some more
Attachments
Following day stuck in sand
Following day stuck in sand
124.JPG (71.43 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
118.JPG
118.JPG (84.54 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
101.JPG
101.JPG (55.92 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
106.JPG
106.JPG (85.9 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
QhoabacaCommunity Camp camping on the deck
QhoabacaCommunity Camp camping on the deck
105.JPG (86.88 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Overlooking the falls from Qhoabaca Community Camp
Overlooking the falls from Qhoabaca Community Camp
96.JPG (62.12 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
The Okavango
The Okavango
95.JPG (51.28 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
After crossing Mohembo Bridge driving in the National Park
After crossing Mohembo Bridge driving in the National Park
91.JPG (46.45 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

some more
Attachments
Our friendly neighbours
Our friendly neighbours
157.JPG (60.94 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Sebata, chilling while we cruize
Sebata, chilling while we cruize
144.JPG (46.79 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
139.JPG
139.JPG (49.39 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
142.JPG
142.JPG (61.57 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Nice camping fridge, lol
Nice camping fridge, lol
136.JPG (97.3 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Next day, after Qhoabaca, at Samsita, along the Akavango
Next day, after Qhoabaca, at Samsita, along the Akavango
133.JPG (71.95 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Eventually got help from the nearby prison 4 km away
Eventually got help from the nearby prison 4 km away
127.JPG (84.99 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

More pics, I think from here onwards we were leaving Rundu
Attachments
Donkey having a splash
Donkey having a splash
191.JPG (46.82 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
Lion after a dip
Lion after a dip
189.JPG (94.3 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
175.JPG
175.JPG (68.26 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
173.JPG
173.JPG (73.65 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
172.JPG
172.JPG (86.41 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
Camp Ombinda, Christmas Eve
Camp Ombinda, Christmas Eve
170.JPG (94.01 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
169.JPG
169.JPG (66.54 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
Camp Maori as we head towards Otjo
Camp Maori as we head towards Otjo
163.JPG (91.04 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

From Outjo headed towards Torra Bay, via the scenic route, about 400 km of gravel
Attachments
Torra Bay
Torra Bay
217.JPG (43.21 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
Torra Bay
Torra Bay
217.JPG (43.21 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
Camp at Torra Bay
Camp at Torra Bay
211.JPG (52.64 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
208.JPG
208.JPG (75.05 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
207.JPG
207.JPG (39.84 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
206.JPG
206.JPG (41.69 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
Towards Skeleton Reserve
Towards Skeleton Reserve
199.JPG (43.18 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
196.JPG
196.JPG (48.5 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Next day we headed towards Hentties Bay, via Windhoek then made our way through the Northern Cape. About 2000km in about 30 hrs
Attachments
220.JPG
220.JPG (37.42 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Just also want to say thank you to all with your input in planning this our first trip north of RSA, especially Oooms for some of the campsites and co-ordinates especially in the beginning.

Oh yes, another bug has bitten :celebrate:

Happy 2013 to friends, family, forum/club members and to those whose lives we touch positively though we may not always be aware. God bless Africa, and her sons and daughters! :bye:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

Hey Tumelo I bet it was an awesome trip as can be seen from the pichas,,,thanx for the sharing and we are waiting for the next TR.. :clap: :clap:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Willem, real memorable indeed and thank you, learnt a lot and there is still so many corners to explore :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
andrevt
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

i am so glad that you have been bitten............now the fun starts nice trip report
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Sebata

Post by Sebata »

going all nostalgic looking at the pics :celebrate:
Tau Sello

Return to “Trip Reports”