Swaziland & Mlilwane

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Swaziland & Mlilwane

Post by Harold »

Swaziland & one night at Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary.
A brief trip report.
watching.jpg
watching.jpg (87.48 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
One our way back from Kruger we decided to go back via Swaziland and visit Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary. No advance booking was made and we would just pitch-up and hope that there would be a campsite available.
We entered Swaziland at ‘Jeppes Reef’ border post. As it was Friday we expected that the customs of both RSA & Swaziland would be busy, so it was a pleasant surprise to find that we were the only travellers. We did not have to fill in any forms at all. The customs offices on both sides were spotlessly clean and the officials friendly, polite and efficient. Went through without even a cursory inspection of the Hilux and contents. Swazi road tax R50 – has been this for many years.

Swaziland is a pleasure to drive in. The roads are excellent and very little traffic and intimidating behemoth rigs. We encountered one road block and fully expecting to be stopped I started to slow down but the police waved me though with a friendly wave and a broad smile.
The country was clean with very little litter and most noticeable of all was NO POTHOLES. I lie, counted 6 - but by our standards they hardly qualify as potholes.

The overall ambience of Swaziland felt good – and we agreed it could be a nice country to live in.
Next time round we plan on exploring more of Swaziland!

Petrol price R12.05/litre – 80,27 lt cost R967.35 SA credit card acceptable.

Mlilwane:
mlilwane entrance.jpg
mlilwane entrance.jpg (83.49 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
When only a few kilometres away from Mlilwane we began to puzzle over where it could be as all we could see were farm lands, mostly grass lands with exotic pine and gum plantations towards the mountains; and that my friends is precisely what Mlilwane consists of! There is no bush-veld to speak of, such as one would expect.
Weird to find Impala, Zebra, Nyala, Warthog, etc wondering in pine, gum and some scrub wattle plantations. But mostly it is grasslands of which some had recently been mowed, presumably to make hay.

They have a serious problem with ‘wild guava’, which is highly invasive and spreading throughout the reserve. There seems to be no action in eradicating it.
Similarly little seems to be done to curb the wattle jungle. There are notices saying that no plants may be removed. I would have thought they would be pleased to see folk getting rid of the exotics.

The area is well stocked with game and there is an area where a breeding and propagation program is underway to restore the Roan antelope to the game parks in Swaziland, which became locally extinct in 1961. Rhone have been obtained from ‘Marwell Wildlife’ near Winchester in England and the ‘Dvur Kralova Zoo’ in the Czech Republic. Onderstepoort Veterinary Facility have been involved in controlling the dreaded Theileriosis, a trick borne disease and major killer of Roan and Sable antelope.
They have a small herd with young and we can only wish them well in their efforts.
roan.jpg
(78.33 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Everything about the reception, offices and lodges at Mlilwane is very quaint.
Very African – a tad run down but clean and the staff friendly and helpful.
The wildlife have right-of-way and Impala, Nyala, Warthog and Zebra are everywhere.

There are two camp areas one with and the other without electricity. As I wanted to keep my Engel running we choose a site with electricity. (No extra charge.)
In spite of it been a Friday there were only two sites occupied of the 16 sites available and no one else arrived.
mlilw camp.jpg
mlilw camp.jpg (106.43 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
They also have two areas of accommodation with ‘bee hives’.
beehive.jpg
beehive.jpg (99.46 KiB) Viewed 1344 times

They would not be my choice as there are no windows. The back of the two hives is attached to an ablution facility.
nyala.jpg
nyala.jpg (106.49 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
They except Wildcard but it still cost R80 to enter; camping R90p.p. Total=R260

Wlilwane would be a great getaway for active families.
There is a sparkling swimming pool that had a few shapely bodies languishing about.
nyala-1.jpg
nyala-1.jpg (50.74 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
The variety of wildlife is of the peaceful kind so hiking or cycling around the reserve is allowed. There a rack of mountain bikes at the office in case you forgot yours at home.
water-buck.jpg
water-buck.jpg (62.38 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
They do have a few Hippo and you are warned to be careful at night if you go up, or return from, the restaurant or pub.

There is also a dam but fishing is NOT allowed and it does have crocodile. The one I saw would make and easy meal of a hiker cooling his blistered feet in the water.

Thankfully there are no lights in the campsite other than your own and the camp was quite being far enough away from the bar.

Would I go back to Mlilwane? Yes (a small yes):
I’d prefer Hlane – no luxuries, pretty close to bush camping.

Next morning we set off for home taking the route to Piet Retief via Sicunusa border post. Once upon-a-time the RSA side was called ‘Houtkop’ grenspos.
Again we were though in a flash without any hassles. Then within 100 meters of the gate the potholes began. Mean, destructive potholes. There was one section of about 5 kilometres that was horrendous, the worst I have ever encountered. Impossible to dodge the pits. First gear and almost zero speed.
Possibly made by the SADF to slow down an invasion by the Swazi army?
More likely to prevent the SADF escaping to Swaziland!

WELCOME BACK TO SOUTH AFRICA! (pity)
Last edited by Harold on Tue May 20, 2014 7:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Swaziland & Mlilwana

Post by george »

I’d prefer Hlane – no luxuries, pretty close to bush camping.
:thumbup:
Swaziland is a nice place to be
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Re: Swaziland & Mlilwane

Post by Donkey »

Nice and thanks for sharing, and to think it's just around the corner.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks Harold! It's one of the places that I have never been and it sounds like one that I should definitely visit. Nice pics! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Thanks for the tripreport Harold. Swaziland holds a soft spot in my heart
To God be the glory
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Nice one Harold,thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Return to “Trip Reports”