Rust de Winter Bundu September

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Rust de Winter Bundu September

Post by LouisZ »

Hi All,

If you like you can Log in at Photobucket and go and view the Pics I have taken of our trip at Rust de Winter.
User name: 4x4tmegatrails

I must say it was a good trip to do, only thing that was a worry was the veld fires during Saturday and night. But the rest of the trip was without any big hickups. For the guys that want to do it, go. I must add rain would have been nice to make it little more green and add to the fun, I think a good time of the year should be November or March to do the trip.

There is enough escape routes on the trail, most of us tried and succeeded most of the time. And for the guys that worry about lockers, most of the trail you can drive without it. Some 4x4's just needed to have a bit more ground clearance, the One new Prado was scraping its belly quite alot on the rocky parts(lucky it was just belly plates) but managed quite well overall.

Of course, the Hilux SFA did not battle, Scot made it look easy.

Hope you enjoy the pics,

Regards,
Louis
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Rust de Winter Bundu September

Post by BenHur »

Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: Rust de Winter Bundu September

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Louis. A great time was had by all.

To add to what Louis has said already, the fire was a concern for many but fortunately the wind was on our side and it kept it at bay. The fire made for a great background for the Saturday evening though. Unfortunately acres of farmland werent so lucky. :(

Anyway, back to the trail. As we would have it no other way, Hilux's were out in full force on the trail with 6 (5 SFA 1 IFS) out of the 14 and we all made it look easy, inlcuding Louis :wink:

When you read in various magazines it is rated at 3-5, well I reckon a 3 is a good all round rating for it. The trail would most definately change when wet and would make for some interesting wheeling and the rating would go up.

It consisted of alot of rocks and ground clearance was an issue for some (a certain Jeep Sahara was fitted with a new toy during the trip, "a rock finder" :lol: ) but all managed to overcome the obstacles. The guides we had did a great job and they made sure that we were left to our own devices most of the time, meaning you could take the line you wanted to test yourself and your vehicle.

The company was good, the food was good, the wheeling was great and it is most definately a trip for all to do.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

Return to “Trip Reports”