Trip Report for Competition - Calitzdorp, Oudtshoorn, Die Hel, Nieu-Bethesda, Valley of Desolation

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Trip Report for Competition - Calitzdorp, Oudtshoorn, Die Hel, Nieu-Bethesda, Valley of Desolation

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Looks like I placed it in the wrong spot.... I had to do it in 3 posts.....

OK, updated it properly this time......
Last edited by Rebel 4x4 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sent from my iPhone
Rebel 4x4

Re: Trip Report for Competition

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Trip Report – 23 December 2017 to 1 January 2018
With a limited budget for our 2017 holiday, we cut it short to only 8 days. But, even the 8 days was enough to store some memorable moments.
We left the Jimny at home and decided to take the Grand Vitara out for a spin this year. We travelled comfortable without a trailer and a 12 000 BTU portable aircon in the back, as we were heading for places that felt like the sun was even shining at night.
Our first stop was on 23 December, Karoowater Gasteplaas. It is situated between Oudtshoorn and Calitzdorp. Off on our road trip!
1.jpg
Our accommodation for a few days
2.jpg
Some friendly Springbok outside our chalet.
3.jpg
The nice part of this trip was our roundtrip to The Hell and back. First step was to use the Swartberg Pass on your way to Prins Albert and then a left turn to The Hell.
4.jpg
5.jpg
The Hell was very dry. The one sort of river crossing was not even ankle deep. Very little wild life made their appearance. I only recalled two gray doves and two Rib bokkies.
6.jpg
7.jpg
We entered the reserve and saw a lot of history. This was also my first time in The Hell.
8.jpg
The graveyard of the family members. Apparently only one lady is still left of the original ‘clan’
9.jpg
There are also beautiful accommodation in The Hell. Bookings can be made at Cape Nature http://www.capenature.co.za/reserves/sw ... e-reserve/ and we will be coming back at the end of April to spend some time down here.
One of the houses to stay.
010.jpg
There is also a small little museum that highlights the history of this area.
011.jpg
012.jpg
A very old tractor on the grass just outside the museum. I think it is a Ford as I have noticed actual oil leaking from the engine. Thjey must have just parked it there and left it like it is.
013.jpg
The parking area outside the Museum. It is also a nice spot to light a fire with basic braai facilities.
014.jpg
Our next stop is the World renowned wine cellars of Calitzdorp. We stopped at 3, namely Die Krans, Boplaas and Calitzdorp Wine Cellar.
015.jpg
016.jpg
Who visits wine cellars and don’t buy wine? Well, we bought a couple of boxes to keep the mouth wet and remind us of our stay.
017.jpg
On the way to Cango Caves, there is a road that will take you to Cango Bergoord. If you carry on a gravel road, it will take you to a beautiful place called Rust en Vrede. A short walk (well, it felt very long for me) takes you to a beautiful waterfall.
018.jpg
019.jpg
020.jpg
Sent from my iPhone
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

021.jpg
022.jpg
023.jpg
024.jpg
What is a trip without visiting the Cango Wildlife Ranch when you are in Oudtshoorn? We popped in and spent a good half a day there with lunch, temperatures were well in the 30’s.
025.jpg
This bugger was quite big in his lifetime.
026.jpg
So we headed a bit north for our last stretch of our holiday to a very small place called Nieu Bethesda. This is also my first time spending time in this area. The casual nature of the people and the good Karoo Lamb chops will make me come back again for a visit.
This 8-bed house was our resting spot.
027.jpg
028.jpg
029.jpg
We popped in at the Kitching Fossil Centre, where fossils are still collected at the riverbed close buy.
030.jpg
This gentleman explains to us how they distinguish what is bone and what is rock by pouring water on this object. He then chisels out the rock around the bone with a dentist tool (the drill).
031.jpg
Fossils in the riverbed
032.jpg
033.jpg
Very popular is this small town is Helen Martin’s Owl house. Listening to the story of Helen is actually sad. Some amazing pieces of art is still at her house, which is also now a Museum. She was very fascinated by the East, this is why the majority of her art is looking in that direction. It was well worth to pop in.
034.jpg
035.jpg
036.jpg
We also found Helen Martin’s grave, it was quite obvious. She sadly passed away in 1978 (somewhere there) by suicide.
037.jpg
There are also small other shops to visit. I was fascinated by the ‘honesty shop’ In the cities, this idea won’t fly. You take what you want and put the cash in a tea pot…..
038.jpg
The places where food is served is always my favourite places. The oldest restaurant in Nieu Bethesda is called ‘The Village In’. The breakfast and coffee is well worth it!
039.jpg
040.jpg
Sent from my iPhone
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

This was just a quick snack at The Ibis Lounge.
041.jpg
As I said, food is my life and this place called ‘The Tower Café’ is not shy with the portions.
042.jpg
043.jpg
We also stopped for Craft Beer at a place called ‘two goats and a deli’
044.jpg
One evening at around 8pm we decided to take a stroll in the town. This is when I realised why this cactus is called “Queen of the Night” This is a very special kind of Orchid Cactus. The flowers all of a sudden opened when we came back, about 30min later. This is how it looks during the day.
045.jpg
046.jpg
A little bit Rusted
047.jpg
The Church of Neiu Bethesda
048.jpg
Another restaurant called ‘Die Waenhuis’
049.jpg
With Graaf Reinett around the corner, we decided to take a short drive to visit the Valley of Desolation. It is really a beautiful part of the World.
050.jpg
051.jpg
Panoramic View
052.jpg
This is basically Graaff-Reinett
053.jpg

Over 350 photos were taken (on my phone) and it was really difficult to choose the pictures for this trip report. It was a lot to filter through, so I might have not chosen the best for this report.
It was an amazing time and enjoyed the time with my wife and my daughter.
Last edited by Rebel 4x4 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Sent from my iPhone
PaulSA
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: PRETORIA
Vehicle: 2004 KZTE 3000

Post by PaulSA »

Another Trip Report that makes a person jealous.
Really need to go away more often.
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

nice trip
Dowe Koos
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Re: Trip Report for Competition - Calitzdorp, Oudtshoorn, Die Hel, Nieu-Bethesda, Valley of Desolation

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hi Thomas,"lekker places you have been at. Die Hell is on my wish list and I like that place with fossils. When I am in that area, I defnitive will visit that place.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Re: Trip Report for Competition - Calitzdorp, Oudtshoorn, Die Hel, Nieu-Bethesda, Valley of Desolation

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Nice trip report Thomas and thanks for sharing.I also visited Die Hell in July last year but was unable to complete the top part of the Swartberg Pass as the pass was closed after the turn off to Die Hell due to rockfalls.Will try again later this year as the Karoo is really a great area to explore.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Nice Trip report Thomas. The hell is still on my list and that waterfall brings back memories of 2006 in my SFA.
Johan Marais
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Great trip report Thomas, and your little daughter certainly has her Mom's good looks! ;-)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

This trip brings back a lot of memories to me as well. Grew up as a kid in Jansenville. Small town - Very small... If you fall of your bed, you'd have to hitchhike back home. There is a Museum after the late uncle Sid Fourie. Just before you cross the Sondags River direction South. I used to sit and talk to him a lot in 1978/1979. My dad was the Station Commander at Jansenville SAPS and even locked me up for one night in the cells when i did some "kattekwaad". :twisted:
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

DanabaaiDaan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mosselbaai
Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado VX V6 3.4P AT

Post by DanabaaiDaan »

Great trip wat julle gedoen het !! Laat my sommer verlang na al die mooi plekke! Die Hel is een van ons gunsteling oorblyplekke - omtrent elke trip wat ons doen begin ons of eindig daar met n paar dae se oorslaap - nerens anders kry mens soveel rustigheid en stilte en plek vir jou siel om jou liggaam weer in te haal nie!

En Nieu Bethesda se bierbrouer maak DIE lekkerste bier en platters !!
Groete uit Danabaai!
Daan Louw
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Nice !

Wens ek het die Oos kaap bietjie meer verken toe ek nog in PE gebly het...Graaf Reinett was ook maar net altyd 'n vinnige pp stop oppad Jhb toe as ons familie toe gegaan het., en daar is eintlik heelwat plekke om te sien in die omgewing
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Stef wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:47 am Nice !

Wens ek het die Oos kaap bietjie meer verken toe ek nog in PE gebly het...Graaf Reinett was ook maar net altyd 'n vinnige pp stop oppad Jhb toe as ons familie toe gegaan het., en daar is eintlik heelwat plekke om te sien in die omgewing
WOW! So you lived here, glad to hear that I am not the only one from PE!
Sent from my iPhone
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Nice trip report! Wou nog altyd daai kant toe gaan vir 'n trippie.
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
Leeuplesier

Post by Leeuplesier »

Nice report and good phodie's. Our trip starts 1st March-25th March with Swartberg pass included in the plan. Our aim is to try and explore as much mountain passes as possible.
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

Very nice Thomas.
I have been to most places you visited except Nieu Bethesda. Must make a plan.

We went to Namibia last year and hired a Grand Vitara. Went up to Kaokoland right up to Epupa Falls and down even to Puros. Bad bad roads. I was VERY impressed with the Suzuki. Not even one flat tyre. My BIL with the Pajero had 5. Think it might be the weight.
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Agteros wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:23 am Very nice Thomas.
I have been to most places you visited except Nieu Bethesda. Must make a plan.

We went to Namibia last year and hired a Grand Vitara. Went up to Kaokoland right up to Epupa Falls and down even to Puros. Bad bad roads. I was VERY impressed with the Suzuki. Not even one flat tyre. My BIL with the Pajero had 5. Think it might be the weight.
Namibia is on our list for 2019. Will read a few reports on this forum before doing so.

The Grand Vitara is very light compare to other SUV’s, clocking at 1680kg if I can recall.
Sent from my iPhone
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Rebel 4x4 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:35 am

LOL! From 2000 to 2009 yes, worked at the Boardwalk from opening, took a promotion back to Pretoria...but the lifestyle was demoted :( Die Baai is mos baie rustiger
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Stef wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:02 am
Rebel 4x4 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:35 am

LOL! From 2000 to 2009 yes, worked at the Boardwalk from opening, took a promotion back to Pretoria...but the lifestyle was demoted :( Die Baai is mos baie rustiger
Ja dit is nogal heel rustig. Ons beoog om Duitsland toe te trek, maar dink die SA leefstyl sal ons mis soos met 4x4 ry, braai ens.
Sent from my iPhone
Farmerbrown
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mooi River KZN
Vehicle: 96 SFA D/C 4x4 2.4

Post by Farmerbrown »

We want to do a fishing trip up that side next April . Need to find out restrictions are where to go as it wil all be very new territory for me and the family .
2.4 1996 SFA D/C
2.5 2015 hardbody 4x4 S/C
2013 Everest 4x2
2.5 2012 AWD Kuga(SOLD)
yz250 2 stroke
tw 200 farm bike
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Swellendam
Vehicle: 2005 3.0 D4D D/C

Post by Baby Cruiser »

Glad that you have had a great trip. I for one need to go to " Die vallei van verlatenheid". I was born in Graaff-Reinette , and other than the night in hospital , I have never been back there.
As enige van julle weer na Die Hel gaan , kan julle die moeite doen om Seweweekspoort ook in te werk. Dan ry jy sommer by Bosluiskloof ook in tot by Gamkadam. Pragtig om te sien hoe die Wildepeer bome aan die kranse vasklou. Wonder of Fox nog die waterfiskaal is , maar ons kon nog altyd daar kamp.

Return to “Trip Reports”