It's Open Season on our Africa Trip for next year!!!

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Scotty
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: An SFA is in my future

It's Open Season on our Africa Trip for next year!!!

Post by Scotty »

Hi All

As some of you may know, my wife and I are taking the next year "off" to travel. At least 7 months will be spent overlanding through Africa in our Hilux :D , maybe more. Current plans involve going up the East coast all the way to Tanzania, throwing a U-turn through Uganda and heading south to Zambia, Malawi, Zim, Bots then NW to Angola and back home via Namibia.

We want your suggestions!!!

So many people have said to us " You must go to XYZ"

So if any of you have gone to any magical places, special campsites, adventure activities etc, etc - please let us know.

Thanks!
Scotty
2009 X-Trail (great car, but not an SFA)
1997 Defender 90 2.8i (great vehicle, but not an SFA)
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Re: It's Open Season on our Africa Trip for next year!!!

Post by Harold »

My plans as well except I had not included the loop to Uganda, instead I intend doing more exploring round lake Victoria and western Zambia.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
teepee
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by teepee »

we are doing much the same as well - a round trip from cape town via nam, bot, zam, mal, moz, rsa

we "only" have 4-5 months though... Eric on 4xforum gave a great reply to me earlier, have a look http://www.4xforum.co.za/portal/new4xfo ... .php?t=676

the diving in moz is particularly important to me.

other must sees/do's for me are: zambezi rafting, dunes of nam, the ok. delta, chobe etc.

of camps, flatdogs in zambia sounds amazing, and we are def. stopping by there.
Scotty
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Scotty »

Harold wrote:My plans as well except I had not included the loop to Uganda, instead I intend doing more exploring round lake Victoria and western Zambia.
Hey Harold - please post any details if you have them. When do you leave and for how long??
teepee wrote:we are doing much the same as well - a round trip from cape town via nam, bot, zam, mal, moz, rsa

we "only" have 4-5 months though... Eric on 4xforum gave a great reply to me earlier, have a look http://www.4xforum.co.za/portal/new4xfo ... .php?t=676

the diving in moz is particularly important to me.

other must sees/do's for me are: zambezi rafting, dunes of nam, the ok. delta, chobe etc.

of camps, flatdogs in zambia sounds amazing, and we are def. stopping by there.
Brilliant - thanks for the tips. When are you leaving? Maybe we'll see you at Flatdogs!?
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

teepee wrote:other must sees/do's for me are: zambezi rafting
We did the Zambezi in high tide and as the guides predicted, flipped in rapid 16 B. :oops: The Zambezi is a GRADE RIVER 5 WITH GRADE 5 RAPIDS :D :D

Suggestion for Nam:

I always wanted to river raft the Kunene (your raft is guaranteed to get hit a crock or two),
I am an animal lover and will definitely recommend Etsosha (but they have become very expensive now)
Sesriem/Sossusvlei is a must (Sesriem became very expensive as well)
Swakop is our favourite town in Nam - lots to do in and around (quad biking in the desert, dune boarding and use to have paragliding...........lots of beer - visit the Hansa factory as well)
Still want to go to Kunene region and search for the desert elephants
Kaudom nature reserve close to the delta and the Caprivi)
Waterberg Plato outside Otjiwarongo (nice accommodation and a sanctuary for endangered animals).
Fish River Canyon (would like to hike it again)

The Namibian Tourism use to have a booking office in Cape Town but I have not use them for some time now. Not sure they are still in the Standard Bank building on the Fore Shore.

See links for Nam I always found helpfull:
http://www.namibiatourism.com.na/
http://www.namibia-travel.net/
http://www.safarinow.com/destinations/namibia/hub.aspx
Last edited by Niel on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Scotty jy is baie bevooreg om die trip te kan doen ek is baie jaloers. Geniet dit
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
teepee
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by teepee »

thanks for the nam advice niel - i am actually a bit worried about the rafting bit, flipped a couple of times i honduras last summer, and had a couple of really scary moments there. normally i don't mind flipping over, but that was a bit too intense :lol:

scotty - we are leaving around july and then heading home to europe end of november like. we are also considering doing some volunteer work along the way, so we have no real scedule yet...
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Harold »

Scotty:
My plan is to have no fixed plan - when we go we will take each day as it comes.
I am hoping to go next year, however work is beginning to interfere with my life, also a 3 or 4 month trip means more planning for the home scene than for travelling.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
astam
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: '95 2.4l P D/C Raider

Post by astam »

Hi Scotty,

I have driven extensively in Uganda and travelled on foot (mainly) from Cape Town to Kenya and back via Bots, Zambia,Tanzania, Malawi and Moz. If you can include Uganda, you must. It's wonderful hilux country, and the nature/people are not bad either :) As my work involved research in numerous game and nature reserves in Uganda i was lucky enough to travel frequently between them and have a wealth of info for you if you want it. feel free to PM me
AHobson
Town: Littlefalls
Vehicle: 2006 Mazda Drifter D/C 4x2

Post by AHobson »

Hi All,

I have a question please:

How does one take 3/4/5/6/7/8 months (whatever) off to go travelling Africa? It has been a life long dream of mine to start here in SA and just drive North/East and West.. Then only South Again after reaching the Roof of Africa.

Silly question but how does one afford it? Like Harold said, work keeps interupting my life...

Thanks
Niel

Post by Niel »

Niel wrote:We did the Zambezi in high tide and as the guides predicted, flipped in rapid 16 B. The Zambezi is a GRADE RIVER 5 WITH GRADE 5 RAPIDS
This was in Zim not in Nam. The Zambesi is fairly flat as it runs past the Caprivi.
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Harold »

COST OF A TRIP
Assume a 100 day trip; 19500 km, if done today it would probably cost between R55000 and R60000 for two.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
Scotty
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Scotty »

Knersus wrote:Scotty jy is baie bevooreg om die trip te kan doen ek is baie jaloers. Geniet dit
Knersus, ek stem met jou - Ons is bevooreg. En dank se aan die wonderlike WWW sal dit sommer voel asof julle saam met ons reis. :wink:
Harold wrote:Scotty:
My plan is to have no fixed plan - when we go we will take each day as it comes.
Harold that is a great plan!! We hope to also not be too tied down on our trip.
Hi Scotty,
astam wrote:I have driven extensively in Uganda and travelled on foot (mainly) from Cape Town to Kenya and back via Bots, Zambia,Tanzania, Malawi and Moz. If you can include Uganda, you must. It's wonderful hilux country, and the nature/people are not bad either :) As my work involved research in numerous game and nature reserves in Uganda i was lucky enough to travel frequently between them and have a wealth of info for you if you want it. feel free to PM me
That is a kind offer boet - I gladly accept. I'm sending you a PM in 5 mins.
AHobson wrote:Silly question but how does one afford it? Like Harold said, work keeps interupting my life...
Eish.....that is the million dollar question!!

On a daily basis we wonder if we can afford it!! Then we just keep on thinking how great it will be and we carry on!!

Since deciding to do this trip we have actually found stacks of other couples/ groups who are doing a lenghty trip like this. In fact I am following a number of people around right now!! I'll post some links later....

The short answer is that everyones circumstances are different. In our case it took us about 2 years to decide what we wanted to do...work overseas?....work and travel?.....work and study etc, etc, etc.

Once we decided, we started planning and saving. Also, we are both still young, no kids,no dogs and so tying up life this side might be easier for us than for some others. Quitting our jobs was a big step, but we had to break some eggs to make this big Africa omlette next year. Quitting is the only way to stop the interfering :lol: We both finish up in early December.

If anyone wants to hire me when I get back, please PM me and I'll forward you a CV in Jan 2009 :D
Niel

Post by Niel »

Scotty, you are a brave man but as you said it is just the 2 of you and that is the best time to do a trip like this. You will look back one day on this trip and say that it was all worth it. You will always find another job and life will go on.... someone once told me that "opportunities are like a bold man: once he passed you, you can't grab it (by the hair) and pull it back" So just go for it and take the forum with you on your travels. Good luck. :D :D
teepee
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by teepee »

@ahobson - it is a very good question, and one that i am asked almost every time i mention our plans to anyone.

for us the thing is:

we dont have kids
are 30/32 years old
have only been working for four years (so we are not completely settled yet)
work really hard and thus make decent money
my girlfriend has almost 4 months of overtime saved up
we put aside whatever we can in terms of bonusses etc.
have a great belief in following our dreams, and this is one of the biggest ones!

but it is a big decision, which makes it even more interesting. we will have about 125k saved up each when leaving, plus about the same in cash for the hilux.

I can hardly wait.... :lol:
Scotty
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Scotty »

Hi Guys!! Jambo from Arusha, Tanzania.

Apologies for being so scarce, but things got hectic in CT before we left and we've been having the time of our lives ever since!

If you want to follow our basic progress then you are welcome to join our facebook group: Scotty and Lau's strong adventure.

We have been on the road for just over 3 months and have done 12000km. We spent a month each in SA, Moz and Malawi and will now spend about 3 weeks each in Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, before headig back to Zim?, Zambia, Bots, Angola (can only get a 5-day transit visa at this stage) and Namibia.

We did loads of work on the Hilux before we left and I still plan to post some photos and let you know what we did before we left.

In summary...the Hilux has been an absolute champion. We have been on plenty of tar, but also through crazy mud, potholes, sand, washed out dirt roads etc and we have driven through with almost no problems. Hilux's rule.

Glad to see the forum is still on the go and that you're all still rubgy crazy!!

Later
Scotty
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Harold »

Glad to hear it is going well. Sure envy you, but I'm on track for next year, unfortunatly only for three months.
What did you have done to your Hilux?

SAFE TRAVELS
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Scotty,

Good to hear from you again! Happy to hear you're having the time of your lives and look forward to a nicely detailed trip report upon your safe return.

It's great to hear that the Hilux is performing so admirably! I guess you will never dream of selling this car upon your return, it's become such a part of your lives right now.

I'm also interested in hearing about all the mods you've done, I do know about some of them but will patiently await your return to read about everything.

Safe travels!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Hi Scotty

Glad to hear you're enjoying your trip safely thus far.

A word of caution though- Maybe you should skip Zimbabwe this time. Dunno if you're listening to the news sometimes, but after the elections, still without concrete results, it looks as if it is a bit unstable there. Looks like Bob Mugabe will not take defeat lightly. For your own safety, you should consider this.
But this is my opinion.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your trip. I'm so jealous :!:
ImageImage
Niel

Post by Niel »

Hi Scotty

Glad to hear all is well and enjoy :D
Scotty
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Scotty »

Hi everyone!!

Just a quick one to say that Laura and I are safely and soundly back in Cape Town. We are slowly getting back to our 'normal' lives, but it is great to be home.

There are lots of stories to tell. Two things I promise to do will be to post some info/photos of some of the additions/ modifications we did before we left - some of these worked really well on the trip. My clever wife has also nearly completed a spreadsheet of every campsite/ place we stayed at, including comments and costs. Once this is ready we'll happily e-mail it to any of you.

In short though, we did 28 000km in the Hilux, 8 countries(not incl. RSA and Zansibar) in 7 months and 1 day. The Hilux cranked first time every time with almost no troubles to speak of and put many 'younger' vehicles on the road to shame :wink: !!(Ours is a 1987). The Hilux was a real champion and was a brilliant home for the whole trip.

Will be in touch again soon
Scotty
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Welcome back Scotty!! Glad to hear you guys enjoyed it and made it back in 1 piece. It must have been an awesome experience.. one day when i am big i also want to do this.. Please share with us? :shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Welcome back Scotty.

Can't wait for the pic's and reading about your experiences!
ImageImage
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Scotty, welcome home! Glad to hear your 'lux carried you through safely!

Please post a full report in the "Trips & Trails" section as soon as you've settled down again :)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Welcome Home Guys :!: :!:

Thanks for the PM, really looking forward to having you guys on a WC Trail soon and hearing your Stories from Deepest Darkest... :P :P :P

Welcome back, the City phobia will soon pass (honest) :roll: :roll:

R. E. S. P. E. C. T. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rich
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Welcome back guys !

Glad all is well and that the Hilux lived up to the name we all carry so high. :mrgreen:

Look forward to all the stories and photos. :D
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Niel

Post by Niel »

Welcome back Scotty can wait to see the pics ..... :D

Return to “Trip Reports”