Members' DIY projects
Maplotter
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: Hilux DCab

Outdoor Sound System

Post by Maplotter »

If you are the sort of person who, like me, likes to head on out into the great wild yonder for jols or camping trips or holidays down at the holiday home, you will know what a schlep it can be to get sound. Yes, it is all fine and well, on the first night, but next morning the batteries are flat and the mechanisms are jammed up with sand, and then on Saturday, you hook it up to the car battery and by sunday, the cars battery is also flat. To address this problem I built myself a protable / mobile / luggable jukebox.

The problem that one has is sound power versus endurance. You just cant have yourself a beach party with a set of ipod earplugs. You need a bit of punch. You also dont want to drag a hifi around and in any case, where are you going to get the mains power you need.

No, you need something that can deliver a bit of punch in a package that one man can handle in a highly robust enclosure. The power comes from batteries and in this case, it is 2 x 14 AH 14V batteries. That is 400 watt hours of power at your disposal.

The 400mm cubed (400 x 400 x 400) frame is made from steel tubing, which was notched with an angle griner at 1CM intervals with an angle grinder in order to get the very tight bend. Once bent, the tube was welded around the insde of the curve and smoothed off with an angle grinder. Round rods were used for the handles and expanded steel mesh was used provide protective covers for the speakers so that they dont get damaged during transport or partying. Four castors underneath allow the jukebox to be moved easily over a firm surface with minimal effort. A platic cover on top makes a useful tabletop. Ideal for music stuff or an extra battery ... not for drinks and ashtrays.

'Die ding kan raas!'

Removing the top cover reveals the workings. A car radio with 2 automotive audio boosters provides the overall sound punch capability. Here you have 4 x 50 watts from the radio, and 4 x 150 watts from the boosters. That is a wopping 800 watts into 8 speakers. The front 2 50 watt channels deliver their power to 2 x 250 watt 9x6 pioneer multicone ovals, and the rear two channels feed a 15 inch woofer and 4 dialogue speakes. These boost the bass and the audio band signals, giving good clarity and punch.

The output of the boosters is fed to 4 jack plugs which give you the ability to plug in 4 auxiliary speakers of 150 watts each.

Here are some examples of connectivity options.

A memory stick can be plugged in for a continual solid state audio source.

On top we have a HF tranceiver which is both powered by the 'Jukebox' and whose audio feeds the audio stage. The Laptop in conjunction with the HF gives you the ability to establish comms with remote stations but it can also be used as a PA source. The laptop also gives you the ability to send files, images and SSTV in various digital modes. By using media player, one can also esablish a radio station on Medioum Wave or Short Wave. An ideal way of dissemnating information in disaster areas or during emergencies.

A laptop can be used as an audio source, and a GSM dongle can provide cellular and internet connectivity.

One can also hook up a little hand held transceiver. This give you the functionality of a wireless PA, in that you can use this configuration at public events, on building sites and to monitor audio at any form of public or emergency environment.

Bottom line is that wherever you need audio power with a bit of punch, this low cost, light weight power pack will be more than enough for most.

Typical apps would include, one man band gig's, mobile disco, kareoke, disco, beach parties, portable hifi with a big sound, buiding and industrial sites, emergency scenarios, outdoor events abd any other scenario that you can immagine that needs big sound.

The small footpint takes up very little floor space and can provide a big sound in the smallest beach cottage.

At high power output, one can look at 1 - 2 hours with the standard battery pack, and at a civilised background level, this unit will provide sounds for 2 days. Friday night, Saturday night and through to Sunday night. Thats continual sounds for a whole weekend.

the cost is real cheap as well. The batteries came in at around R 200 each, the steel frame cost me about R 300 with tripple powdercoating, two base layers of yellow and a covering layer of clear. The radio I had but say R 600, and the speakers, Here you can spend what your budget permits, but the whole thing cost me less than R 2000.00 and it is the best investment in sound I ever made. Cos, when I am not out on a joll, it is my permanent domestic sound system

So, there's an idea for a cool multi function juke box ... and its good fun whatching the expressions on peoples faces when you use your sound system to jump start someones car.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Re: Outdoor Sound System

Post by Traveler »

It does look real cool.

Know what you don't know.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Nice unit! ....but pleeeeze make sure you camp 3km from my site.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maplotter
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maplotter »

We try and be considerate by the buure allways tell us to gooi the volume! A bit of Dylan and a bit of Willy de Ville (Cadillac Walk) and you got a party.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

To be honest, I hate music at campsites, I can get quite rude about it also.... :naah:
Maplotter
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maplotter »

Nee wat, ons kan enige plek 'n jol uitpak. We tend to avoid the commercial places and we allways nhave good music with us.

Here we unpacked at the pits at the Windhoek Racetrack. Note the guitar players on the left.

In the Namib

And sometimes sommer net so voor die bar ... waiting for Kuki's in Swakopmund to open.

Ja, Been on some epic jols and you never know where you will end up. And it's allways nice to have good sounds.
Pora
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 d4d

Post by Pora »

Maplotter wrote:Nee wat, ons kan enige plek 'n jol uitpak. We tend to avoid the commercial places and we allways nhave good music with us.

Here we unpacked at the pits at the Windhoek Racetrack. Note the guitar players on the left.

In the Namib

And sometimes sommer net so voor die bar ... waiting for Kuki's in Swakopmund to open.

Ja, Been on some epic jols and you never know where you will end up. And it's allways nice to have good sounds.
What is met julle Potchefstroom mense en jol

lol jy gan mos bos toe om die natuur se music te luister

nie n doef doef van ver af nie hhahahaha

smart idea btw lyk heel nice
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

OOOOMS wrote:To be honest, I hate music at campsites, I can get quite rude about it also.... :naah:
Jou idee is baie nice en lyk baie goed, maar hier stem ek saam met Mark, ek raak ook redelik ongeskuk.
As ek wou musiek luister het ek by die huis gebly... :boss:
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Maplotter
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maplotter »

Jaaa , just to clarify. I end up at various outdoor jols. I have the greatest consideration for the peace and tranquility that people seek when they go camping so I do respect the presence of other people camping around us.

I am also not a doef doef doef fan, being more a blues and folk rock man myself, and then i like it background and not overpowering.

But our jols are not mainstream. I will go down to Port Nolloth and rent a municipal beachfront cottage for 2 weeks. Now, it is fully equipped but there is no sound system and no TV, and to sit and look at each other for 2 weeks with no sounds is the surest way I can think of to develop cabin fever.

So, here i have my MP3 / CD / Radio in one compact box so that we can listen to a bit of our favorite artists or catch the news or spooksories on the radio.

When I go down to the the model flying club, I take the unit with because it has two big batteries inside and I use the jukebox as a power source to recharge my planes batteries. Invariably, people will ask me to turn it on and it isn't long before someone pops in his CD and we all end up enjoying some good sounds with a beer and a braai at the clubhouse.

Fact of the matter is that when we head off to spitzkoppe to go and camp out for a week or two, Its nice to have some comms and music which isn't draining your vehicle battery. Because there is nothing worse than having left the radio on and finding your battery flat when you want to leave.

It is however very seldom that we find ourselves in communal camping spots and, on the very few times that we end up in public camping areas, we make a point of not being intrusive or a nuisance towards our neighbors. So, in a camp site, you will most probably find me listening to the news.

But I scheme, that we will most probably end up having such a lekker kuier geselsie oor 'n branafiempie that the jukebox will most probably just stay on the back of the bakkie.

Maar, boeta, as een van ons verjaar en ons gooi 'n bosparty daar onder by grootboom, dan kan jy maar weet dat ons 'n geraas sal maak... (maar dis op ons eie spot op die plaas daar by DeWildt.)

Time and a place for everything.

(pardon the typos, but my fingers are bigger than the keys on this notepad, maar dis lekker portable en dit werk kwaai hier in die tuin onder die boom waar ek tans voor my jukebox sit en network met die wereld met all die poier wat ek nodig het up die jukebox se battery.Sien wat ek bedoel. hy het sy uses. Tans is hy 'n power supply en 'n tafel.)

Groete mense, praat maar more weer.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Dankie vir die 'kort' verduideliking..... :lol: :lol: :lol: Ek sien jy is 'n man met goeie beskrywings :wink2:

Lekker daar onder die boom sit...en chill :thumbup:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Was jare terug in Potch in die army, ons het een naweek by potch dam gekamp, daar het n groep "locals" n rondavel gehuur, hule het n moerse vuur gemaak en een van die beddens sonder n matras daaroor staan gemaak, hulle pak toe n hele vark op hulle giant braaivleis rooster, maak n moerse geraas en kuier deurnag, ons moes toe maar saam kuier, wat anders kon jy maak. Die bed en die lawn het nooit weer dieselfde gelyk nie.

Ps: Waar was jy in 1982?
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Maplotter
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maplotter »

Potchefstroom
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

:yahoo: dan was jy seker ook daar

Ons gaan ook bos toe saam met vriende, dan drink ons tot een vrek, as ons daar weg ry sing die visvangers n heel ander tune, gelukkig is daar nie pappegaaie innie bos nie, maar as die vrou saamgaan word geen radios toegelaat nie.

Ek laaik daai lawaaiboks van jou, ek het n paar disco speakers wat werk soek en daar le nog n 800W Calibra amp rond, sal moet plan maak!
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

nice project, and compliments with it.

as for camping and music ..... ONE group of "youngsters" caused the whole Mata-mata campsite to loose a nights sleep .....

Few days later when we were there FOUR youngsters put up camp NEXT to the fence right by the water hole - thanks a lot !!!! All they achieved was to ensure that NOBODY got to see any animals that night, and even less at sunrise ...... GRRRRRR!!!

when you book a whole site GO FOR IT, have FUN, you are only young once. BUT when sharing a site with other campers, PLEASE turn the music OFF !! In fact when camping I dont even want to hear the cricket score across the camp site, I am there for the NATURE, and the animal sounds.

nee wat daar is n tyd en n plek vir als .....
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

Ek mag dalk nou moontlik voorkom as 'n diplomatieke draadsitter oud NP parlementslid, maar ek het glo daar is 'n tyd en plek vir alles. Ek het my rustige visarend roep, sons ondergang, jack in die hand, pyp in die bek oomblikke saam met die familie. :beach:
Maar dan ook die oppikoppi, oorverdowende, drank verduisterende oomblikke.

En daai kontrepsie van jou sal idiaal werk vir die laasgenoemde.

Return to “Build your own:”