High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1988 Toyota Hilux 4X4; 2010 Toyota Prado; 2011 VW Polo Gti TSi DSG

1998 HILUX SFA REBIRTH

Post by 002HVM »

1988 Toyota Hilux SFA 2200 Rebuild Timeline

April 2012
I came across a bakkie that as a young man was just a dream and could not resist the opportunity to restore her to her former glory. She has been standing without engine and gearbox waiting for the last 17 years. Her windscreen still had her last square third party license disk of 1995 on. Unfortunately it could not be salvaged as it was too brittle. Also note the old Transvaal registration number plates although the pleasant surprise I got is in the final couple of paragraphs.
Image 1.jpg
Image 1.jpg (39.52 KiB) Viewed 3637 times

May 2012
Bakkie was parked at home as I thought I would like to do it from home as a project. Nothing happened except the grass growing underneath it, and the obligatory Saturday afternoon boasting to buddies of what this is going to look like after completion. After a few “Brannas & Coke” everybody was always very enthusiastic and could see my vision that had grown as the dop flowed.

June 2012
Mid June I was not believing my own dronkmanstories anymore and got a colleague from our metal shop to come and work on the bakkie on weekends. This now put a whole new spin on the Saturday afternoon sessions and everybody was again excited as the stripping started happening.
Unfortunately my colleague was more talk than anything else and absconded from both work and his responsibilities with the project. Expensive lesson as I paid good money for empty promises.
Image 7.jpg
Image 7.jpg (65.12 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Image 8.jpg
Image 8.jpg (61.3 KiB) Viewed 3637 times

July 2012
Nothing happened as I still believed the empty promises and trusted that he would come through. Even paid some more cash over to enable him to get back to Gauteng to finish the job.
At this point in time I have had a few offers to take the bakkie away from my house. When I did not want to fall for that, I again over Brannas entered into a couple of wagers regarding the fact that the bakkie would not be finished by year-end 2012.

August 2012
I made peace with the fact that I have been taken and had to find alternatives. I was also now in for a few wagers and just had to prove to all the critics that I had not bitten off more than I could chew.
Luckily I was introduced to Cecil, a mechanic from Nigel. Old school and somebody that still takes pride in his craft he in turn introduced me to Danny and Wayne from a boat and panel shop also in Nigel.
They quoted and although the budget was by now shot to pieces we shipped the bakkie of to the panelshop. With the bigger expenses I decided that now I can do it decently and the body and chassis was separated. My brief was to that I wanted to rebuild the bakkie to as close as original when it came out of the factory in 1988.
Chassis was cleaned, resprayed and put on a trailer for Cecil to rebuild the brakes, do the diffs etc. Amazingly there was no rust on the chassis. Just some surface corrosion.
I found some second hand tyres on the Hilux forum, but there developed a communication gap and I ended up buying new tyres to fit. With the rims redone and new tyres fitted and balanced, it was amazing the motivation something small and insignificant this gave me. There was hope!

Of course all beforementioned buddies advised fitting a V8 Lexus motor, but my intention was to retain the charm of originality. I initially wanted to buy an import motor, but read on the forums that these motors were not as powerfull and Toyota spares did not fit them. With a little bit of searching and luck I found the original motor of the bakkie. Now I had matching numbers. Shocker was that the quote to rebuild the motor came to R 22 000.00! Cecil again said he would have a look and has done the whole ground-up job for less than half.
Image 19.jpg
Image 19.jpg (62.66 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
September 2012
I had the gearbox completely reconditioned by a reputable gearbox shop. Again with guarantee.
Cecil fitted the engine and gearbox back to the chassis.
At the end of September the chassis then went back to the panelshop to marry the body again.
Image 22.jpg
Image 22.jpg (60.51 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
October 2012
October consisted of weekly Friday afternoons visits to the panelshop to look at progress. My brief was not to do a rushed job as I wanted a decent rebuild.
Progress was made slowly with the loadbin having a whole lot of manual labour to get the old clear/yellow rubberizing removed and decent cleaning and prep of the body panels. All the panels were removed, cleaned and resprayed. As I decided on a colour change from the original “police bakkie yellow” to Toyota Cameo, I did not want the old colour to be seen anywhere. It was a complete strip down, repair and repaint. Again I was lucky with very little rust and I did not want a body filler job done. Old school metal repairs and panelbeating. We could not save the bonnet, but all the other panels are original.
The fortunate spin-off of this stripped down refurbishment was that I can with all certainty have established that the bakkie have never been in an accident.
Image 29.jpg
Image 29.jpg (43.61 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
November 2012
Things are really coming together quickly now with final assembly and finishing taking place. Today is the 6th of November and it is really looking good. I am happy and get a semi every day when I go and look at the progress.
Image 44.jpg
Image 44.jpg (50.02 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Image 45.jpg
Image 45.jpg (44.42 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Next Steps
Final polishing, fitment of the bonnet, bulbar, towbar and rollbar as well as the Hilux and Toyota badges.
Fitting of Raider stickers on the side. It is a combination of green and purple with the brush-stroke effect going to the back. Should give colour to offset the Toyota Cameo, but if it looks to flashy, I am going with the unstickered, clean and uncluttered look.
I have placed the order for original look “2200” and Hilux sticker on the back to be made.
Search is on for original look door handles and armrest for the inside door panels. Mine has been cleaned, but clashes as it looks more worn than the outside now.The seats have been recovered in as close as original fabric as I could get.
Search is on for running boards. I want to do simple pipe with simple inward angle at the ends. Again to blend with the front bulbar, rollbar and back step. Might have to have these custom made.
By the weekend most of the above will be done. Then she goes back to Cecil fit the radiator, plumbing etc in the engine bay and to get the roadworthy done to transfer her onto my name.
Best part of this rebuilt is that my bakkie’s license only expires in January 2013. I am going to fit the GP plates to it for test driving and roadworthy purposes, transfer her and fit the personalised plates. I have the current license disk and registration papers.
When I take delivery towards the end of November, I will do a rubberizing and have a sail made for the loadbin. I will then do an update early December of the final product if there is interest.
Thanks for reading – I just had to share with fellow Hilux entusiasts. For some reason my wife and kids don’t get it………….”But Daddy why did you not just buy a new one?”
STAMPIE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: '05 4L V6 DC

Re: 1998 HILUX SFA REBIRTH

Post by STAMPIE »

Dis 'n mooi storie Dirk.
Lekker om te sien dat 'n bakkie in die toestand wat dit was, weer "nuut" kan word.
Sien uit na die finale produk.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Now that's the kind of TLC I was talking about, Dirk!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Dit is wat ek Hi-Lux liefde met passie noem.Hierdie bakkie het onder jou vel gekruip en jy gaan hom net meer en meer lief he.

Enjoy the ride :thumbup: :thumbup:
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Lovely story indeed, Dirk. Wish you all the best with your new toy. You may want to rub shoulders with oom Dawie and see his running boards. Also for the cover of the loadbin, visit http://www.premat.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, they'll make one for you easy.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Thanks for sharing Dirk. It is amazing what can be accomplished with the right mindset
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Very well done, Dirk! The "2200" vinyl stickers should be available from Toyota dealers, I bought mine for around R22 a couple of years ago. Otherwise, you can get one made for you by any vinyl-printing place.

Looking forward to the continuation of your story!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Ou Legend
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kuruman
Vehicle: 1987 Hilux SFA 4x4

Post by Ou Legend »

Baie mooi,geniet hom!
The true measure of a man is not how he behaves in moments of comfort and convenience but how he stands at times of controversy and challenges
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

Very good job done there... Please can you giv us the mechanics and body shop, name and number...
A breakdown of costing of what you have done will be gr8.... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Blaps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 Ford V6

Post by Blaps »

:yahoo: Complete love, Great job.....looks super cool!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm also interested in the breakdown of the cost when you have time for that. :beg: :beg:
Go, just go.... Somewhere.... Out There...
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Awesome, really nice job! Once it's back to standard, you can start upgrading it ;)
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
002HVM
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: 1988 Toyota Hilux 4X4; 2010 Toyota Prado; 2011 VW Polo Gti TSi DSG

Post by 002HVM »

Thanks for all the positive feedback and advice everybody.

Will give a detailed breakdown of the costs upon completion. Currently excluding the cost of the bakkie I am at R 55k and probably spend another R10k. The intention was never to resell and make a profit.

I will post contact detail - just need to get the physical adresses and the likes.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Dirk

Excellent progress on the vehicle and it is looking really great!!! Coming along nicely!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now that is what I am planning to do when My SFA turns 30. Then it will be a classic vehicle and I will set about having the whole vehicle restored like what you did here and then Ill keep on using it still.
Johan Marais
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

JohanM wrote:Dirk

Excellent progress on the vehicle and it is looking really great!!! Coming along nicely!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now that is what I am planning to do when My SFA turns 30. Then it will be a classic vehicle and I will set about having the whole vehicle restored like what you did here and then Ill keep on using it still.
The SFA is already a legend and an all-time classic, no matter it's age! :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Build your own:”