legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Tyre repair kit

Post by legend35 »

I bought myself a tyre repair kit from a tyre place and was very excited to use it for the first time.So one day we had a vlat on the company bakkie and i tried my new repair kit.After about half an hour I had broke both the tools ,used three repair sticks,a puncture in my hand and still the puncture in the tyre.
So i made myself a new repair kit.

2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Tyre repair kit

Post by Family_Dog »

Johan, well done! Those cheapies from some of the Motor Spares shops are simply dangerous.

I bought my repair kit from Champion Tyres, figuring they would only stock a reputable make. This is something I have not yet tried, would like to but not on one of my own vehicles!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

legend35 wrote:I bought myself a tyre repair kit from a tyre place and was very excited to use it for the first time.So one day we had a vlat on the company bakkie and i tried my new repair kit.After about half an hour I had broke both the tools ,used three repair sticks,a puncture in my hand and still the puncture in the tyre.
So i made myself a new repair kit.
Johan.... nice gedoen daar.

Raad wat ek kan gee is hoe harder die band gepomp is wat jy reg maak hoe makliker is dit. Ek het nou al seker so 10 punctures reg gemaak en ek het al my @$#@# af gesukkel maar toe kom ek die trick agter. Ek pomp die tyre at least so 2.5bar en sit dan die plug in..... baie makliker
To God be the glory
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

Ek het dit met die eerstepuncture gedoen maar was onsuksesfol.nou het ek n reamer wat 7mm dik is en dit werk sommer op n pap band ook.Die ding is ook om die sulution maar dik aan te sit en dit dadelik in die gat in te druk dan lube dit die gat so bietjie.
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

legend35 wrote:Ek het dit met die eerstepuncture gedoen maar was onsuksesfol.nou het ek n reamer wat 7mm dik is en dit werk sommer op n pap band ook.Die ding is ook om die sulution maar dik aan te sit en dit dadelik in die gat in te druk dan lube dit die gat so bietjie.
Feite daai... jy moet nou net passop dat die gat nou nie te groot geream word nie want dan kan daai plug nie heeltemal sy job doen nie :wink:
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm not too sure how well the drill bits will work, the thing I always worry about is that the reamer follows the actual puncture tract and does'nt make a new one of it's own ... that's also a problem, had it once before and it leaked again after a while ... had to take the tyre off and fit a gator. I had totally mis judged the original hole angle and made a new one :sick:
Personally I prefer a pointed spike, but not sharp, on the reamer. Seems to work ok for me.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:I'm not too sure how well the drill bits will work, the thing I always worry about is that the reamer follows the actual puncture tract and does'nt make a new one of it's own ... that's also a problem, had it once before and it leaked again after a while ... had to take the tyre off and fit a gator. I had totally mis judged the original hole angle and made a new one :sick:
Personally I prefer a pointed spike, but not sharp, on the reamer. Seems to work ok for me.
These plugs we use is only supposed to be used as a temporary measure :oops: and when able should replace with a mushroom plug from inside the tyre. I personally have never replaced a plug on a tyre with a descent patch because generaly the tyres were at end of life anyway
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

These plugs we use is only supposed to be used as a temporary measure
:shock: NOW you phone me! ... after I've used them for years! I've had them last forever ... never thought of them as temporary. :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:
These plugs we use is only supposed to be used as a temporary measure
:shock: NOW you phone me! ... after I've used them for years! I've had them last forever ... never thought of them as temporary. :think:
Believe it or not... I actually read the instructions :twisted: :twisted: Am I now just halve a man? :oops: :oops:

But according to the instruction booklet it is only supposed to temp fix :)
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Cassie, the tyre shops here have not read the same book as you... they plug 'em, charge me R5 or so, then off we go! But maybe off-road tyres are to be treated with a bit more care and require a more permanent solution... (see: I can also be 'punny'!)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Family_Dog wrote:Cassie, the tyre shops here have not read the same book as you... they plug 'em, charge me R5 or so, then off we go! But maybe off-road tyres are to be treated with a bit more care and require a more permanent solution... (see: I can also be 'punny'!)
-F_D
(I saw you sneak one in there :))

I think the reason is they eventually dry out and start leaking. I had this happen on a tyre before. I think if it is a fix on a tyre that works everyday it should be fine because the tyre would be finished before the plug has dried out. But on a secondary vehicle that does very little km's, it will probably get a slow leak.
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ok I'm back ... F_D, I see you're also 'joining' the band wagon.
Cas, what you say makes sense, but I'm curious ... are there differing grades of plugs, maybe? I dinna see nuttin about 'temporary', but then again no instruction leaflet either. :think:

Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

Spare valves, metal valve caps, yellow tyre chalk & ball inflate tools included :thumbup:
Attachments
puncture kit3.jpg
puncture kit2.jpg
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

Piet,that is a nice set you got there.

Before making the hole bigger,I check the position of the piece of metal in the tyre and then ream according to that angle.
ImageImageImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Before making the hole bigger,I check the position of the piece of metal in the tyre and then ream according to that angle.
All fine and well if the metal is still there ... usually is, I know, but I've had it where no "culprit" can be found. :problem:

legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

If you are just a little bit handy then you will know,it is not that easy to make a hole in a tyre and my reemers are not any sharper than the ones you buy in the shop.It only makes it easier to ream the hole.
Cassie jy is reg dat dit net tydelik is.My werkgewer het n tyre laat reg maak en het n hele ruk daarna weer n lek opgetel en ek het hom toe vir hom regemaak maar ook vir hom gese dit is net tydelik.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Build your own:”