Kagiso
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Datsun SAFARI aka LOBO, Nissan Patrol GQ

stupid thing to do

Post by Kagiso »

Hi guys.
This is your nice & friendly NISSAN owner on the Toy site ... yesterday [Sunday 2 Dec] a couple of the NISSAN owners explored Hennops Pride trail. As we were about to leave the owner asked if we could go do a rocovery up in the mountain at obsatcle 12 ....
The photos say it all - but the long and short was, the owner of a Hyndai Sante Fe went on a 4x4 trail ALONE (except het had his 12 year old son with him ???? :shock: ) With NO experience. He did not consult the route info leaflet, (which tagged that obstacle as Extreme and rated it a 5... which it really is) he never walked any of the obstcles ... end ended up hanging the Hyundai precariously over the edge. Yes, the NISSAN guys managed to recover him.
Moral of the story? We that know have an obligation and moral duty to inform the uninformed - just because the some booklet / leaflet says its a 4x4 does not make it an OFF ROADER..
Just something to distribute to all the "wannabee" 4x4ers out there. Feel free to share this info with all and sundry.
Outreach2Africa - In support of Missionaries of Africa: Helping God's children doing God's work.
on't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: stupid thing to do

Post by Family_Dog »

Geez, mac... this could have had fatal consequences if you guys weren't there. And he certainly does not understand the different classes of 4x4. The Sante Fe is a great SUV, but an extreme vehicle it certainly is not. I hope this guy now intends getting some 4x4 instruction somewhere.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Papa Joe
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: CT - North of the Boerewors curtain
Vehicle: LEGEND 35 - 2004 2.7 D/C Hilux 4x4

Post by Papa Joe »

Mac & all the Nissan blokes,

Tx for helping this guy out. It always takes a few of the experienced oukes to help keep 4x4'ing "out of the press".
It could have been a tragic disaster which could have been blown totally out of proportion by the press, etc. :shock:

It takes all of us (irrespective of the make of vehicle we drive) to keep the sport/hobby/love for 4x4's "safe & sound".

Thanks too, for the positive contribution, to our forum.

Cheers until next time.

Happy 4x4'ing. :D
44444-WP
Papa Joe
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Ok where is the photo's or am I missing something here.

So Kagiso you "can with a Nissan" 8)
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Kagiso
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kagiso »

Eishhh - I did stick the foto on, but dont see it myself. I also patched them on my link on Flickr, if you want you may have a look-see there. The pics are not sorted [yet] Dwergie just pasted everything in there. There are pics of our Botswana outreach, Previous week's Nissan Offroad Tactix Training and then of course, the Hennops outing and the unfortunate Hyundai. I since had an e-mail from the owner and thanx to us using wooden boards as skids, there is no damage to the Hyundai. the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13136780@N08/
Outreach2Africa - In support of Missionaries of Africa: Helping God's children doing God's work.
on't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Was the chaps in pic 211/2/3/5 and 202 optimistic re: their ability to pull the vehicle :?: :)
Kagiso
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kagiso »

Niel wrote:Was the chaps in pic 211/2/3/5 and 202 optimistic re: their ability to pull the vehicle :?: :)
Ohhhhhhhhhh yessss; and overly so. But we were strugling for hours. They arrived, assessed, went about setting things up SAFET FIRST - and whalla, one free Santa Fe and very relievd owner.
Kagiso
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kagiso »

I dont mind a couple of beers, or a good Red wine at times .... BUT, alcohol [too much of it] and vehicles dont mix well. Even off road.
The pics speak for themselves. And no, we did not assist in the rcovery because the wise guy refused ANY assitance by a Nissan ... or its owner for that matter. Joke is, if he had straghtened his front wheels as I advised him to do, he could have driven out of that predicament.
Alcohol & Offroading dont mix
Alcohol & Offroading dont mix
Hekpoort (39).JPG
Hekpoort (56).JPG
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Some people become very thick-headed after a meeting with a certain Mr. Al K. Hol. This twit deserves to have his Hilux confiscated, he does not deserve it - or any other 4x4, for that matter.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Cannot agree more. Drinking (nothing wrong with one or two beers) and driving any vehicle any time anyware is a big NO. Like walking around with a loaded pistol with your finger on the trigger :x :x :x
To God be the glory
Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Krp
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 v6

Post by Optimus Prime »

Looking at the hilux standing sideways ,this guy did drive it out ,i was there Braampie is a weird guy but nice ,it was just one of those moments

"As long as power flows through any of my circuits ill 4x4."
Kagiso
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kagiso »

Hallo Hiluxdude
Sorry to differ, but that Toyota was pulled out by a Colt. I'm just very glad that Braampie had no damage to his vehicle and could drive away from that one.
Like you say - it was on of those days and we all get them, I'm sure
Hekpoort Recovery_2.jpg
Attachments
Hekpoort Recovery_2.jpg
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

Yip...

The problem was that most the guys were in the same frame of mind (depth of pickling) as the lux driver.
IMAG0954.JPG
Note the Colt recovery point used :o

Also warning the guys not to try hold up the vehicle while it was being pulled out, fell on deaf ears. A car (not even a Lux) is worth risking injury. I would personally hate the injury of friends on my shoulders while they were trying to save my car.
Later....
David
Hillbilly
Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Krp
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 v6

Post by Optimus Prime »

Thanks for the reply ,whole story is not a problem ,just want to correct you in that
the colt could not go bckwards from where it was is was just there as a measure to help should the Lux fall over while
reversing out byself ,i am the one in the colt .But not to make this a huge story ,all came out fine ,and yes one should not drink
while doing any driving.

"As long as power flows through any of my circuits ill 4x4."
Kagiso
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kagiso »

no harm done and I had no intention of stepping on anybody's toes or downgrade [degrade] anyone. Just happened to be Braam "on the spot" when the topic came up ... another tread actually lead to this one... and Andre with the Santa Fe learned and joined the Forum an the Nissan4x4 site.
We are all agreed that Hekpoort is for sure a trail we want to do again.
Maar jy is reg - mens eet nie Tarzan pitte of drink Simson juice voor jy aan 'n stuurwiel vat nie . OP of VAN die pad.

Return to “Recovery Stories”