Please tell us how your Hilux helped somebody in need
AllTerrain
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 3.0 D-4D 4x4 Automatic Legend 40

Recovering an Automatic 3.0 D4D

Post by AllTerrain »

Can anybody please shed some light for me on automatic 4x4 driving...
- Where can one learn how to...
And most importantly, what is the recovery procedures when the vehicle gets stuck? Th D4d's manual states that the automatic gear lever should be in "N", however the short stick should be in H2..? Does this makes sense? Why should the short stick not also be in "N"?

Thanks
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Recovering an Automatic 3.0 D4D

Post by OOOOMS »

Sorry not to jack your thread, I have another question:

What does one do with an auto when driving up a steep hill? (Unlike manual, stall, foot on break, reverse, start)
AllTerrain
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by AllTerrain »

No prob, I've only taken delivery of my auto d4d over the weekend. Have read about it on the net. They say you have to start your engine in "P" position and then put it in "R". My guess is you'll probably have to practise this so that the vehicle doesn't run away with you
James S
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux D4D Auto

Post by James S »

Hi guys,

I have had my auto for almost a year and the only way to "learn" is to go out there and play! You need to understand the auto behaviour and in my case the only way was to get my bum on the seat and the wheels rolling.

The auto has two neutrals as does the manuals (transfer box and gearbox). I'm not sure why the manual says what you mention (I am still waiting for my manual!!) but so be it. Because there is no physical link in the drivetrain, I would gather that when being recovered, you pretty much do as you'd be doing when stuck in a manual vehicle, assist the vehicle recovering you as much as possible? I've never had to be recovered just yet (and yes, I should prob be playing harder!!! :angel: ) but my time will come and I will approach it the same either way (manual or auto).

Mark, the auto is a beaut in that regard. I have done numerous really steep uphills and have never managed to stall the engine. I can hold my position on an uphill without touch the brakes (be carefull not to overheat the transmission oil though). The only issue I have with the auto is using the engine compression to brake down a steep hill. The auto tends to come down somewhat faster which forces me to lightly play with the brake pedal.

Otherwise, what a beaut!! :yahoo:
Cheers,
James
AllTerrain
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by AllTerrain »

One thing I have noticed is that there are very few formal "automatic 4x4 driving guidelines". One has to learn by trial and error. It would be great if somebody provides a course on this.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

James you are correct, an auto cannot stall on an incline, but it can loose traction causing you to be in a precarious position. You would do the same as with a manual car, by hitting the brakes while the vehicle is stationary to stabilitse the vehicle. What we do is not to put the vehicle in R when reversing down, but rather leave it in D in H/R and keeping it in check by lightly feathering the accellerator to prevent it from running away. That way you have better control over the engine "compression". The drive train will sort out power to all 4 wheels, so chances of locking up wheels seperately are remote, unless you have some sort of fancy traction control setup.

It will probably heat up the gearbox oil if done for long stretches, but when you are in trouble you could take time to let it cool down and to catch your breath. We have successfully reversed auto's down long inclines in this fashion without trouble. We also tried it in L/R but the torque was to much and the vehicle became "jerky".

If anybody knows of another safer way of driving an auto down a steep incline in reverse please share with us.

The only advice I can give you Ferdinand is to go out and play with your Auto, and to get to know its capabilities and its limitations. Start with the small stuff, progressively working your way onto bigger things. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
AllTerrain
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by AllTerrain »

Thanks Thys
tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville Cape Town
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4x4 4.0 Auto D/C, 185a/h Dual Battery Sistem, 1500w inverter

Post by tersmit »

Hi Ferdinand
I have done what thys says with my Auto, and it works like a charm, it is just something to get used to, giving gas to slow down instead of the breaks.
tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville Cape Town
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4x4 4.0 Auto D/C, 185a/h Dual Battery Sistem, 1500w inverter

Post by tersmit »

With regards to towing and recovery, i reckon the safest thing to do would be to remove the prop shafts prior to towing
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

tersmit wrote:Hi Ferdinand
I have done what Thys says with my Auto, and it works like a charm, it is just something to get used to, giving gas to slow down instead of the breaks.
Must admit I know Jack about Auto's and when I read Thys's comments it did not make sense. :blackeye: Glad it does
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Ou vale1
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

When you get stuck on an incline you do the same as with a manual, foot on the brake, reverse gear in low range and you drive down against engine compression using the brakes lightly to control your speed. Using drive to reverse down will eventually break something and then you are really stuck.

Return to “Recovery Stories”