Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Re: recovery using pin from detachable tow hitch

Post by Oupa Stig »

Don't know those towbars as I have a normal old fashioned fixed ball one, but:
I assume that's the same pin that holds the ball.
However, when it hold the ball section, it's "square tubing inside square tubing", which means the stresses on the pin is different from when that recovery rope is in there. I suspect that that pin is much more likely to bend with that recovery rope than with the ball section... Especially when doing a snatch... Remember that jeep that lost it's @rse when trying to recover that cruiser? At least here you'll only lose the pin. :naah:
My 2c (and also, I only saw the pic, not the video, as vodakrom is particularly krom tonight and I cannot open it )
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Juan21
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: jhb
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Juan21 »

It can work...but in the end something is going to give in.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

As Mickey says, towbars are not for recovery unless properly reinforced which is seldom an option of choice sice it's normally easier to fit recovery points that are secured to the chassis with a suitable bracket or beefing up the towbar bracket. Remember, that's in line with the chassis .... if you want to use the centre of the towbar you still have to brace the towbar itself.

I think the pin itself should hold, but the strap is a problem if not pulled in a straight line because of the tube ..... the edges could compromise the strap.

Not a recommended recovery method IMO.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

As everybody says. Yes it is not the ideal recovery point!.

BUT! If you have nothing else, you can use that AS LONG AS you keep in mind that it can fail, and adapt the amount of force you exert on the towbar to the minimum.

If you have a towbar like that make sure it is fitted to the chassis with the proper high tensile steel bolts and nuts.

Do not use it for kinetic (snatch) recoveries

Attach lanyards to the towbar and the chassis of the vehicle to prevent it from going flying off in the distance in case it does break off. And they do, I have seen this happen.

After every recovery re-torque the nuts holding the towbar to the chassis.

Inspect your chassis rails for metal fatigue and damage regularly if you use this as a recovery point.

We tend to always use kinetic recoveries as a first resort. Taking short-cuts. This is when people get hurt, things break off and damage occurs. A spade, light push or pull, or a little bit of jacking up and putting traction under the wheels, is enough (in most cases) to get the vehicle mobile again. Kinetics must only always be used as a last last resort when everything else failed.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Tal
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kroonstad
Vehicle: Fortuna

Post by Tal »

Very interesting! If i understand correctly, this will be fine for a normal small recovery, but for big snatches i will have to use my designated recovery points!
ONE LIFE.... DRIVE A TOYOTA
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/C 4X4
Club VHF Licence: X209

Post by Samurai »

Hi,

I saw that same video on YouTube the other and was also wondering the same thing.

I have a standard bumper on my Lux

and was wondering what I needed to do to it to use a hitch as below, and if such a hitch can be used or recommended for recoveries?

What options are there when it comes to rear recovery points, if the hitch is out of the question, besides replacing the bumper? Can one buy a recovery point and just bolt it onto the chassis? And what is recommended?

I found these while browsing the internet, but obviously towing a trailer etc would not be possible:

The hitch on the left, in the above picture, is very popular on the Land Cruisers used by the security teams here. Most of the time they have a heavy duty pull strap attached to them and the slack goes into the boot...!

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother."
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

It is a fairly safe option, there is no pieces of steel that will come flying if the pin snaps, one problem though, if the pin bends you're fooked, you won't get it out.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Stuart you are going to bend those pipes like a paper clip. They are not sturdy enough for kinetic recoveries.

You can buy the hooks from Safari Center and attach to the chassis and that will be 100%.

Thys de Jager

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

uhm ja ...

bosal type towbar, OR a purpose made off road bumper/towbar/recovery point unit ??

I do this with my Hilux with a purpose made Burnco bumper.

YES, the pin should shear before you pull the bumper off or bend the chassis in some idiot attempt at an over board snatch ....
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Thysie you didnt use the word RATED anywhere. :lmao:
We tend to always use kinetic recoveries as a first resort. Taking short-cuts. This is when people get hurt, things break off and damage occurs. A spade, light push or pull, or a little bit of jacking up and putting traction under the wheels, is enough (in most cases) to get the vehicle mobile again. Kinetics must only always be used as a last last resort when everything else failed.
Best advice ever :boss:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Rated, rated, rated... there I used it 3 times... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

No matter what we say.. apparently, if these rocket scientists from the UK are to be believed, the normal tow ball is sufficient to do a kinetic recovery... :banned: :banned: as long as you do the wrap around, like a snake around a tree branch.. :lmao: :lmao:

phpBB [video]

View Original

What the video does show, however, is when and why a kinetic recovery is preferable, but right at the end.. and one of the reasons the guy gives are also a lot of BS.. too much shock on the recovery points??.. mmmmm

Please note that this clip is taken from an Advanced Off Road Driving and Recovery Skills 4x4 - Kinetic Recovery DVD... Shocking!! Or maybe not? Maybe they know better than we do?? Who am I to say... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

How many stories have we all heard or witnessed about bumpers and bits coming off with kinetic recoveries? That should be enough proof. Sorry, but I won't do a kinetic recovery to a vehicle that's not suitably rigged for it, period.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Mud Dog wrote:How many stories have we all heard or witnessed about bumpers and bits coming off with kinetic recoveries? That should be enough proof. Sorry, but I won't do a kinetic recovery to a vehicle that's not suitably rigged for it, period.
Those bits include that recovery hook Thys showed above, remember that oke that got clobbered at RDW? We still raised funds for his medical bills on this forum....

I still don't like them hooks; shackles & lanyards for me rather...
Elroy
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux KZ-TE

Post by Elroy »

I bought the frontrunner points at megaworld, and Thysleroux fit them to the rear of my Hilux, its attached fairly solid, and for the front, those hooks I've fitted both sides.. If you need help, send me a pm
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I hear what you're saying Stef, but as far as the hooks go, they're pretty much OK provided they're secured with adequately rated bolts. I suspect the RDW incident was the result of the bolts shearing .... the hook itself didn't break.

If the bolts are rusted or loose there's a problem. If they're not rated or underrated, there's a problem. If they're not secured to the chassis, there's a problem unless the bracket (or whatever is used) is also of adequate strength and adequately secured.

The use of two RP's and a bridle is always a good idea since it spreads the load ... this applies to both sides of the strap (recoverer and recoveree). I also prefer the use of a long bridle since this dramatically reduces the stress angles on the RP's / chassis rails. I think one should take the time to examine one's recovery set-up and identify the possible weak links, address them and if not possible, take them into account when doing the recovery. It's better to err on the side of safety (overkill) than to take risks.

It's really all just a matter of applying common sense. ;-)

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Mud Dog wrote:I hear what you're saying Stef, but as far as the hooks go, they're pretty much OK provided they're secured with adequately rated bolts. I suspect the RDW incident was the result of the bolts shearing .... the hook itself didn't break.
Granted :thumbup: I just prefer my setup with shackles, no bolts involved, except the 6 (or 8) bolts holding the LTD bumper, and lets face it, that thing won't get airborn in a hurry ;-)
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

True, IIRC there's 10 bolts holding that bumber and truth be told, I prefer bow shackles as well. ;-)

Kagiso
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Datsun SAFARI aka LOBO, Nissan Patrol GQ

Post by Kagiso »

Dis soooooo sad .. ons propageer al jare om NIE aan tow ball te 'recover' nie -- Maar die kluite wat dit doen lees nie ons 4x4 tydskrifte nie - en ook nie die 4x4 forums nie - EN ploeter voort sonder behoorlike opleiding of kennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV894H83 ... ture=share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Outreach2Africa - In support of Missionaries of Africa: Helping God's children doing God's work.
on't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!

Return to “Recovery Stories”