Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
rommy20005
Town: Bucharest
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Post by rommy20005 »

Go hard,or go home !
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Post by Mud Dog »

I would'nt do it ..... there is a strong possibility that the acetone attacks some types of rubber, like hoses and seals. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Radu,

My father swears by it. He has proven it to me a few time why it is good.

Sometimes I put some in my Diesel tank to clean the injectors.

Pure Acetone helps to make the burning period of the molecules longer, thus giving more complete combustion, AFAIK.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

How much do you put in and have you measured how much your fuel consumption has improved?
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm sure it works, but what unseen collateral damage is being caused? :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

"wat die oog nie sien nie, sal die hart nie pla nie"...dont know who came up with that one but im with uncle Andy on this one.
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I ask myself, why are the fuel companies not using it as an additive?

Acetone has different solvent properties to that of petro-chemical fuels and the plastics / rubbers that are used in the fuel delivery system are often not formulated to withstand other solvents. Such plastics / rubbers can be present as fuel pump seals / diaphrams, fuel line hoses, injector seals, gaskets and even some carbs have a tiny rubber o-ring on the needle valve (needle & seat). Not all of these are of similar formulation as they are task specific .... some might happen to be able to withstand acetone, but others not and slowly decay as a result. Damage is not always immediately apparent, sometimes it takes months.
Again, I would rather not take the chance. It's not worth the possibility to save R100 on fuel by having to spend R1000 on repairs. :wink:

Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

I had a good read on all this stuff. There is lots of stories either way but in the end the fuel saving is not a huge amount and unless its done proven properly with proper tests I would not take the chance. If this was such a good cure everyone would know about it and we would have known about it a long time ago. I agree with Andy their are so many additives that claim to improve fuel consumption but do they actually work.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.

Return to “Alternative Energy”