BIO DIESEL

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: perth
Vehicle: 1991 hilux surf with 31" kuhmo kl71's

BIO DIESEL

Post by Tinman »

has any one got any insight on bio diesel because i just swaped the old petrol hilux for a newer diesel one and i have an unlimited supply of chip fat oil, and im a student so cheap fuel would be nice.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Re: BIO DIESEL

Post by ToyX4 »

Hi Stuart

Have a look at this forum. http://biodiesel.nanoelf.co.za/forum/
It is South African based, but I'm sure most of the threads are in english anyway.
ImageImage
Diezel Weazel
Town: Hemel Hempstead
Vehicle: Toyota KZN130

Post by Diezel Weazel »

There's a day called catch em !! One day ..... One Day .....
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

hey tinman.

I wanted to make my own as well, the only problme was the supply of old fish oil in Cape Town.
Some of the guys on nanoelf forum reported his sales rep being intimidated mafia style for the fish oil.

So if you have a good , cheap supply, it's definately worth it.
Only thing you have to check if you fuel system rubber components are synthetic. BD will erode natural rubber, including rubber in you pump.

Toyota could not give me a straight answer on this when I was in the market for a 2000 model 3000D.
All they said some of their client are running it for a while now. last I heard is that toyota will only guarentee a 5% BD mix. all that trouble for 5% it's not worht it though.

BD also has about 10% less power, but it's viscocity is much higher. Apprently it's also has higher octane if I recal correctly.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
username
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: Too many

Post by username »

my friends were doing the whole bio diesel thing here in cape towm
They got the oil from kfc @R2 per litre.
The 280D pump packed up(not definably from the bio but maybe),and the brand new hilux injectors were starting to give probs and diesel light kept coming on .
He stopped using it first when he found out the price of injectors and the mantenance plan wouldnt be honoured anymore
They scrapped it once the fuel price came down.
They ran it for nearly a year.It cost them R5.50 per litre
Some facts from personal experience.
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

so why are the vehicle manufacturers not building cars that can handle alternative fuels.
BD / Diesel for the oil burners, and petrol / ethanol for petrol vahicles.

All over the world filling stations have options for various fuels incl LPG, hydrogen, Methane etc, etc.
Just good old RSA that has to stay in the third world.

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

We like reliability! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

dalkill

Post by dalkill »

Ja, but what expense.
What happens if all the oil dries up. We still be stuck petrol stations only.
Nothing more reliable than a horse and cart :mrgreen:

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
mplester
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pennington
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by mplester »

Using bio diesel is great as long as you dont have electronic injectors. I run 2 of my work vehicles on a 75% blend, which gives better fuel consumption with very little noticable loss in power. One is a nissan 2.7TD the other a kia 2700. My D4D runs on good old pump diesel. Cost saving on Bio is 80c a liter, which considering that I use 2 to 3 tanks a week saves lots of money. Even in the states where Bio fuel is big, electronic injector vehicles are a no go.
Breet1989
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Blantyre
Vehicle: Hilux 3000D

Post by Breet1989 »

Hi All,

I am pleased to inform that my Father makes Bio - Diesel in Malawi ! all our bakkies run on it!

Hehehe 100% GREEN :P
*Toyota Hilux DC 3000D (5L) 1999 - Stock Standard*
AM Racing
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

I have a client that ran his Corsa 170D (1st gen diesel) for some time. Two sets of injectors and an injector pump later he is back to pump fuel.
ImageImageImage
DaveG
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Post by DaveG »

We used to run four of our company vehicles on Biodiesel that I would make, 2 Toyota Dyna's and 2 Fiat Doblo's the Fiats where not happy with it and I discovered the reason was the Lucas pump, so because of that we went back to diesel for them. The Dyna's just kept going merrily along until I found it was taking me to much time to make the Biodiesel and called a halt to it.
A few months later when the cost of Diesel finally sunk in I looked about and found a Conversion Kit that allows us to run the Dyna's on waste vegetable oil, the only thing to be done is filtering and away you go, one of the Dyna's has now done over 130,000 kilometers on WVO with the only problems being a few blocked filters and that I blame myself for.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

username wrote:my friends were doing the whole bio diesel thing here in cape towm
They got the oil from kfc @R2 per litre.
The 280D pump packed up(not definably from the bio but maybe),and the brand new hilux injectors were starting to give probs and diesel light kept coming on .
He stopped using it first when he found out the price of injectors and the mantenance plan wouldnt be honoured anymore
They scrapped it once the fuel price came down.
They ran it for nearly a year.It cost them R5.50 per litre
Some facts from personal experience.
Would never touch waste oil from KFC they use an additive to prolong the cooking life of the oil but has to be filtered out before you can use it for any kind of Biofuel
Vlakvark88
Town: Potgietersrus
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4

Post by Vlakvark88 »

Would never touch waste oil from KFC they use an additive to prolong the cooking life of the oil but has to be filtered out before you can use it for any kind of Biofuel[/quote]

DaveG, I'm not an expert on this but I'd rather say it's the type of oil they use. Most places like KFC, Spur and Ocean Basket use Palm Oil which gels at temperatures below +/- 23*c and I don't think you want that stuff in your fuel line :thumbdown: I would rather use sunflower oil which you can get from places like Steers and your local fish and chips shops.
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Post by pietdevs »

I have BD quality tested often from the private manufacturers. The main problem is water dilution - it is expensive to dry the diesel and secondly the lack of lubrication additives cause huge problems. That is why the pumps and injectors fail sooner than it should. The presence of water and lack of lubrication causes excessive erosion - hence the failures. The guys who manufacture the BD do not add the required additives - again this is expensive and they don't know what to add. This is a scientific process which requires continuous testing (expensive) to ensure the quality is good and up to the required standard. I wanted to add a test report for clarification but the forum does not want to upload it.....HELP pls!
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

pietdevs wrote:I have BD quality tested often from the private manufacturers. The main problem is water dilution - it is expensive to dry the diesel and secondly the lack of lubrication additives cause huge problems. That is why the pumps and injectors fail sooner than it should. The presence of water and lack of lubrication causes excessive erosion - hence the failures. The guys who manufacture the BD do not add the required additives - again this is expensive and they don't know what to add. This is a scientific process which requires continuous testing (expensive) to ensure the quality is good and up to the required standard. I wanted to add a test report for clarification but the forum does not want to upload it.....HELP pls!
Click post reply
Scroll down to filename click on choose file
click on add the file
finish your post comments and click submit and your test report should be added
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by pietdevs »

Thanks for letting me into the wonderful world of technology Dave!

Attached is a typical test report of BD that I did. This diesel caused various failures (diesel pumps and injectors) on a number of vehicles even though it conformed to the SANS specs. Main problem was that no additives were added to allow for lubrication, anti bacterial properties, etc etc. It caused excessive sludging in the diesel tanks and diesel filters of the vehicles - again because of no correct additives.
Note the low sulphur content of 5ppm - sulphur provides lubrication.
No distillation tests were done during this test but the next test when it was done revealed more than 10x the allowable water content from the same manufacturer.
I would certainly not use home made BD if the manufacturer does not at least have a test report like this one...
Attachments
Bio diesel report.pdf
Bio-diesel test report
(145.39 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

pietdevs wrote:Thanks for letting me into the wonderful world of technology Dave!

Attached is a typical test report of BD that I did. This diesel caused various failures (diesel pumps and injectors) on a number of vehicles even though it conformed to the SANS specs. Main problem was that no additives were added to allow for lubrication, anti bacterial properties, etc etc. It caused excessive sludging in the diesel tanks and diesel filters of the vehicles - again because of no correct additives.
Note the low sulphur content of 5ppm - sulphur provides lubrication.
No distillation tests were done during this test but the next test when it was done revealed more than 10x the allowable water content from the same manufacturer.
I would certainly not use home made BD if the manufacturer does not at least have a test report like this one...
Agree with you about buying Biodiesel from a home brewer Pieter, with the experience I have making the stuff for myself I know how difficult it can be to get a quality product consistently, incidentally I have a similiar certificate lying about the office somewhere from a company here in Joburg, when I made Biodiesel for our vans I used a dry wash system to remove the water and any glycerine left over from the processing but it was still taking up to much time to make.
The reason I say dont use McDonalds oil is not the palm oil but the additive they put in it is very difficult to filter out and keeps blocking up the filters.

Palm oil is not as bad as you think, I drove from Joburg down to Cape Town and back one time on scrap Palm Oil no trouble, it only starts to gel at plus minus 12c to 15c.
Have you never thought of using WVO instead of biodiesel much much less hassle and all you need to do is let the oil settle for at least two weeks and then filter the oil down to 1 micron.
genius
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: klr 650

Post by genius »

Hi there guys

I am looking to buy a bakkie that I can convert to bio-diesel, does anyone maybe have information for me, on

:how to make biodiesel
:best "economic" hilux for the job
:changes that must be made to the engine
:and any tips you guys could give

Thanks a lot
Nathan
lube man
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Fortuna 3.0 D-4D

Post by lube man »

We produce biodiesel in Cape Town. We have years of experience in making and using. I have several trucks, cars and bakkies. All running on a 50-50 blend with 500ppm diesel for 8 years. Absolutely no problems and the best thing I could have done for my engines. Biodiesel has saved me over a R200 000-00 in 8 years. SPAR - the retail giant, use our biodiesel in their Mercedes Trucks (horses and rigids) driving many hundreds of thousands of kilometres a year. Now is that not proof that biodiesel works, works well, is better for the engine, the environment and their fuel bill.
Advantages of Biodiesel
•It cost less than regular diesel
•It contains no or little sulphur
•It has a higher Cetane rating that improves the efficiency of compression ignition
•NO engine modifications are necessary to use biodiesel on any diesel engine
•It is non-flammable, non-hazardous, non-toxic & environmentally friendly
•It has a flash point greater than 120°C while fossil diesel is approx. 70°C
•Users can switch between biodiesel and regular diesel as they wish
•It has superior cleaning properties over all other regular diesel
•It provides much better engine lubrication than regular diesel
•It produces 75% less exhaust smoke emissions
•It produces 80% less carbon dioxide emissions
•It is made from new or used cooking oil
•It extends engine life by up to 200%
•It mixes very well with regular diesel
•It is safe to store and handle
* Engines run 10% cooler
NicMcLean
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: johannesburg
Vehicle: hilux 4x4 2.4 1996

best vehicles for BIO DIESEL

Post by NicMcLean »

I am selling my hilux 2.4 petrol dbl cab and want to get a diesel to run on biodiesel (not sure about running on Hydrogen/H20 yet)
I started researching the corsa utility diesel or np200 diesel but found out the costs of possible injector failures are around R5000 per injector, so feeling like I'd rather get a double cab for the money and potential maintenance costs.

So looking at robust diesel engines, I'm looking at the GWM 2.8 TDI, found injectors at around R1200/injector, seems to be easy and economical to maintain - but would be good to compare with other vehicles and thats where some advise would really help!

Please can you guys advise me on what to consider for around or less than R100 000 budget.
Important for me:
- reliability, and suitability/durability on biodiesel
- drive comfort (the wife didn't enjoy the hilux's ride)
- fuel economy

I'm inspired by My friend who has been running his 1st gen corsa diesel utility for around 60 000km on used cooking oil using a 2-tank, solenoid switch system, and now opted to make his own biodiesel and go for a simpler option. His vehicle is still going well...

Before I make my own I would like to buy some BD from you John (I'm moving from JHB to Hermanus).
NicMcLean
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Re: BIO DIESEL and GWM

Post by NicMcLean »

Correction on the GWM steed injectors - they are actually the same price as the np200 and corsa chev diesel injectors at around R5000 excl vat.
It was the diesel Isuzu's (1999) that had cheaper injectors at around R1100 each, a huge difference in price.
I'm just worried that the GWM is expensive to maintain/repair if something goes wrong - Below R100 000 they have over 100 000km, so wondering what would need replacing after this amount of wear...
the turbo on the GWM is also not a joke to replace, may as well scrap the vehicle if it costs more than the vehicle!
NicMcLean
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by NicMcLean »

Please advise guys,
What's better for biodiesel, 2006 isuzu kb300 or 2010-2012 tata xenon 3l or 2.2 dicor?
Then what's better value for money?
They going for similar pricing but a good deal on the 3l came up. ..
I've left the gwm cos tata seems to be better, the 2.2 gives great efficiency and performance at around 100kw and 12km/l...
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

Nicholas...

I wish you all the best in you BD endeavour... I so wish to go that route but am to afriad... of the costs of things breaking.
Compare the savings you will be making on the BD to the possibility of failure of injectors and pumps, and possibly pistons going thru blocks due to sludge buildup etc , etc...

My buddy while living in Pretoria told me he ran his bakkie on 100% BD he made himself... triple washed it to be sure it's clean. Without any failures. So it can be done, but there is always that risk factor of expensive breakdowns

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

quite lengthy argument on BD... and that magical number 18 000

http://www.isuzuoffroad.co.za/showthrea ... =biodiesel

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I'm just going to ask... what quality controls are there when manufacturing bio-diesel? From all the talk I've heard each producer can decide on their quality controls and output specs... based on the cost of replacing a D4D's injectors and/or engine... I'm not going to be the guinea pig on this one!
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by pietdevs »

I sent many BD samples to Wear Check to be analyzed. I did not find one that had all the required additives, which are essential, in their product. If I can get a BD manufacturer with all the proper tests done and confirmed by Wear Check I will use it. The additives are expensive so most BD manufacturers do not add it, hence all the injector and engine failures.

Return to “Alternative Energy”