Long range fuel tank on the new 2016 Fortuner

Louiseb
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Fortuner

Long range fuel tank on the new 2016 Fortuner

Post by Louiseb »

Has anyone put an extra fuel tank onto the new Fortuner? Any tips and advice? Also has anyone installed the spare tyre bracket to keep the spare tyre at the back of the vehicle rather than underneath the vehicle? How do you find it? Is it a major headache?
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Long range fuel tank on the new 2016 Fortuner

Post by Haboob »

The spare will need to be moved out the way everytime you open the back door and become a pain in the butt.
The LR Tank should not be a problem as many of the previous models have these installed.
I have the previous Hilux with the spare underneath the LR Tank and have not experienced any problems with it being too low in thick sand or rocky terrain.
I have a 2nd spare on the back door of the camper built onto the Hilux...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Check and see what ARB have to offer IRO LR tanks - I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall one being fitted that does not interfere with the spare but rather makes use of the available space under the vehicle.

Either way, if however you plan on over-landing into remote areas, a 2nd spare is a wise thing to include. You could perhaps secure it / them to a roof rack on such trips for the sake of foregoing the hassle and cost of a rear swing-arm but bear in mind that it severely affects the vehicle's COG - though not a problem if you're not doing any wild side slopes on your trips.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

Front runner or Ironman
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
Louiseb
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Louiseb »

Thanks I will have to do some homework - is a 42litre long range tank the average kind of size or do the come in much bigger?

Return to “Tips and Help on using the forum”