Stutt forests

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Stutt forests

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi guys, keep the 15 / 16th March open.

Wade ("4thGeer") is organising a free forest drive weekend for us. This will be a very moderate trail that will be suitable for ladies and beginners .... will probably be more of a social and sight-seeing trip, but all are welcome. :D:

Final details and arrangements to be confirmed, but the basic plan is to meet at the Spar in Stutterheim at about 9.00am - gives the guys that want to join us from further afield more time to get there. From there we will go on into the forests for most of the day with a rest stop at Gubu dam to have lunch - a packed lunch might be easier but you can braai if you so choose. The afternoon will see us gathering at a farm house where camping will be free with an evening braai. Fires will be provided but bring your own "chop & dop". For the rest you need to be a self sufficient camper although the restroom in the house will be made available to us ( bring your own kakpaper if you remember - LOL).

Sunday breakfasts to do your own thing - the rest of the details to follow as I get them.

See you all there - no excuses! :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Re: Stutt forests

Post by Mud Dog »

Just indicate here who will be joining the outing.

• Wade '4thGeer" 1 or 2
• Edge "Haboob" & Vivienne x 2
• Andy "Muddog" & Sher x 2
• Tony :FierstGeer" & Annemarie x 2 (Tentative depending on work)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

hi andy
is this around or near the lentz's?
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

JEEPIE wrote:hi andy
is this around or near the lentz's?
Yep, but I don't think that the Lentz's are still that active in forestry .... open to correction, but I think that it fizzled out from their side when 'Ozzie' Lentz died a good time back. Think the biggest operator in the area is now John Rance (Rance Timbers).

When we planted our forest at Hogsback some 47 or so yrs ago, we got the seedlings from old man Lentz (father to Ozzie) and the Dept of forestry.

;-)

JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JEEPIE »

interesting
i know julie and them went through a rough patch at a stage
but seem to be doing ok now
they are our neighbours in cintsa

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

I called past Lentz a few months back and they seemed busy, went to have a look at a trailer that belongs to a client of mine.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote:I called past Lentz a few months back and they seemed busy, went to have a look at a trailer that belongs to a client of mine.
Well that's good to hear, like I said, I'm open to correction. One thing that's a bit peculiar is that if one looks at all the timber merchants in E.L., all the structural timber they stock is from Rance, haven't seen any from Lentz in years but maybe they're shipping it elsewhere.

Anyhow, we're diverting from topic here .... Simon, will you be joining us this time!???

jacol
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elisabeth
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by jacol »

Mud Dog wrote:Just indicate here who will be joining the outing.

• Wade '4thGeer" 1 or 2
• Tony :FierstGeer" & Annemarie x 2 (Tentative depending on work)
• Jacol & natasha + 1 of 2 tentatief

SYRON CONVERSIONS

andy send me your cell number
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Nice to see that one of the PE guys might be joining us!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bit of a long trip for you, Jay! Are you coming through direct from PE on the Saturday morning?

jacol
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jacol »

That's the plan will leave early here. just need to confirm work schedules first but hope to join you guys
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

jacol wrote:That's the plan will leave early here. just need to confirm work schedules first but hope to join you guys
Going via G'mstown / KWT might be the shorter route for you. Otherwise you could come via EL on the Fri evening and park off here - (I have a spare room available) - that would make it a bit easier.

jacol
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jacol »

Mud Dog wrote:
jacol wrote:That's the plan will leave early here. just need to confirm work schedules first but hope to join you guys
Going via G'mstown / KWT might be the shorter route for you. Otherwise you could come via EL on the Fri evening and park off here - (I have a spare room available) - that would make it a bit easier.
Thanx allot will be in contact with you as soon as me and the boss finalized our plans. Looking forward to meet the guys.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Just spoke to Tony, who has confirmed that he will be able to attend.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Spoke to Wade this afternoon. We will be going through private land the landowner is giving us special permission for this. Now I know it's true that "the more the merrier", but the land owner is not keen on a whole lot of vehicles invading his property, and to this end the number of vehicles will be limited. The point is that there are only 3 spots left, so decide quickly and confirm. If you miss out this time, there may be another (If we behave ourselves we might be invited again. :D: ).

Don't delay. So far we have :

• Wade '4thGeer" and Donne x 2
• Tony :FirstGeer" & Annemarie x 2 (Now confirmed)
• Jacol & Natasha + 1 of 2 tentatief

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Just for interest sake (and to bump the topic :D: ), I spoke to Dylan and Simon ......

Next episode to follow shortly.

:D:

Ivanov
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.2
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Ivanov »

H Andy

I'd love to join you guys, but I'm going to a Black Powder rendezvous/shoot in Grahamstown on the weekend of the 8th and will be stretching my budget a little to attend the Stutterheim forest drive. I'll be thinking of you guys enjoying some splendid scenery.

Enjoy

Ivanov
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks for the reply Ivan. Would have been great if you could have joined us, but there will be other times. ;-)

Enjoy the B-powder event! :thumbup:

jvt172
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4

Post by jvt172 »

I'm new here in el. I'm in.
Last edited by jvt172 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

jvt172 wrote:I'm newn here in el. I'm in.
Cool Jurgen! Will be great to meet you! :thumbup: Will you be alone? plus partner?

• Jacol & Natasha + 1 of 2 tentatief
• Jurgen "jvt172"............ x ?

jvt172
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jvt172 »

X1
Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

unfair.......
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Post by Whisky »

Hi Andy hope I am note to late. If there is still one spot open we will be glad to fill it. Will be for the two days.

Ben
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hangover wrote:unfair.......
Oh? :smile: .... How so? :think:

Whisky wrote:Hi Andy hope I am note to late. If there is still one spot open we will be glad to fill it. Will be for the two days.

Ben
No probs Ben, will include you and Bokkie. ;-)

• Jay "Jacol" & Natasha + 1 of 2 tentatief
• Jurgen "jvt172" - x 1
• Ben "Whisky" & Bokkie x 2

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Mud Dog wrote:Just for interest sake (and to bump the topic :D: ), I spoke to Dylan and Simon ......

Next episode to follow shortly.

:D:

OK, so I suppose that by now you would have guessed that they're not coming. Dylan is in prep for a race and Simon was not feeling well .... (Simon may still change his mind).

So at this point we have seven vehicles .... that's OK, but we can still take another one or three if needs be, so you can still join us if you would like to. ;-)

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Reminder.

You will need to be self sufficient in terms of camping and your meals (no shops nearby). There will be a braai on Sat evening, fires provided.
Also be sure to have sufficient fuel, apparently it's a long drive.
We will be meeting at the Spar in Stutt at (or before) 9 am Saturday morning and proceed as soon after nine as possible.

A suggestion ... E.L. guys can meet at 8am in Abbotsford at the Sasol garage and travel to Stutt together.

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Wow sounds awesome Andy... wish I could be joining the group. I soooooooo need a weekend away, but soon hopefully..
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Fly up on Fri after work Val .... we'll take you with us and you can fly back Sun afternoon to be back at work on Mon. :D:

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Would love to.... just too much to do... am desperately hoping to be free to make it to the National GTG, that about the closest I can look at a weekend away.
jacol
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jacol »

Unfortunately ill have to cancel due to work
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That's a pity Jay .... you might be missing out on something special! :D: Nonetheless, of all people I understand what it's like to have a sole proprietary business, and sadly work comes before play. Hopefully we will see you next time. ;-)

So the list has changed .....

• Jurgen "jvt172" - x 1
• Ben "Whisky" & Bokkie x 2

Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Andy what is the arrangement regarding washing facilities? Must I bring my own, I have my own shower arrangement so no problem.

Will the camping be in the feldt? Must know what to pack.

It will be Saturday picnic lunch, Saturday evening braai and Sunday morning breakfast. Do we then return home.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ben, I think bring the shower just in case ..... not sure if the facilities are going to be adequate (it's a house provided for Wade by his employers) ... we won't be camping in the veld, but as I understand, in a yard (hope the grass will be cut :D: ), so pack what you think you'll need. I've never been there, so can only tell you what's been told to me, but Edge and Tony have been and know the setup better. ;-)

"It will be Saturday picnic lunch, Saturday evening braai and Sunday morning breakfast. Do we then return home."
This is correct .... (but bring some Viennas just in case Tony gets hungry! :twisted: )

Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Thanks Andy
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

I think that all attending the Stutt drive should be as self sufficient as possible. The farm house will probably NOT be able to accommodate everyone with shower facilities. I do not think that Wade and Donne would object to the ladies using the toilet facilities, but the guys can water the mielies and grass in comfort. Parking will be available around the house for camping on or next to your vehicle. Wade will provide wood for the braai, but it is not guarenteed to be dry so bring a lot of refreshments while waiting for the braai fire to burn out. A good chat around the braai fire is guaranteed. Looking forward to the drive and the chat afterwards.
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Just to add to Edge's comments.I am sure the showering and ablutions should be no problem.Should the weather turn foul,we can all place matresses inside the house .I dont mind sleeping between your wifes. To Andy,Wade has made arangments to make it easy for your wife.Hope you guys dont mind Edge's snoring.LOOK forward to a great outing with you guys !!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

FIRSTGEER wrote:Just to add to Edge's comments.I am sure the showering and ablutions should be no problem.Should the weather turn foul,we can all place matresses inside the house .I dont mind sleeping between your wifes. To Andy,Wade has made arangments to make it easy for your wife.Hope you guys dont mind Edge's snoring.LOOK forward to a great outing with you guys !!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
I believe so! Spoke to him last week .... I knew there was a reason why I liked that boy from the start! :lol: :lol: As for edge's snoring .... a well used sock should sort that out! :twisted:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S.

Just looked at forecasts .... looks like we'll have an overcast day with little chance of rain. There might be some more rain during the week (Wed & Thurs) that might make things a tad slippery. Ideal! :thumbup:

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Please do not forget to bring along something warm for the cold... That is a jersey Andy, not neccessarily RUM, but that does help as well...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Will try to remember that Edge - if I can manage to think past this rum induced stupor that's suddenly befallen me. :D:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Jurgen, I sent you a PM yesterday which you have not yet read .... could be that you haven't been online and that your mail address has changed.

I wanted to know if you're going to make your own way through to stutt or if you want to meet at Abbotsford Sasol (8an Sat) and travel up together?

Let me know, (you can also contact me on cell 083 - drie fyf twee een nul nege vier), thanks.

jvt172
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jvt172 »

Will join at sasol
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: ;-)

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Andy, please don't be late again. It seems as though we have a longish route to complete, before we get to the braai fire. :tease: :boss: :laugh2: :lmao: :blackeye: :surrender: :oops:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I can't help it if you set your watch ½ an hour early ..... Last time we were there at 8 bells exactly! (8.05 According to your watch.) :D:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Haboob wrote:Andy, please don't be late again. It seems as though we have a longish route to complete, before we get to the braai fire. :tease: :boss: :laugh2: :lmao: :blackeye: :surrender: :oops:
.... and as I recall being told, we will stop somewhere and have a quick picnic lunch .... sandwiches / hot-dogs / whatever you want to pack for yourselves. The 'gesellige' braai is for the evening. :D: ;-)

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

A little sample ..........
IMG_9513.JPG

From left to right: Viv (Edge's wife), 'Bokkie' (Ben's wife), Wade ("4thGeer"), Edge ("Haboob"), Thomas (Rance Timbers), Ben ("Whiskey"), Tony ("FIRSTGEER"), Kevin & kids (Rance timbers) and kneeling, Jurgen ("jvt172").

SYRON CONVERSIONS

we want to see some more pics please one is NOT enough.

Show us the one where your Hilux got stuck crossing that stream ha ha

simoan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

There's no vehicle that could cross that stream Simon .... it's a cascading waterfall on the face of a very steep mountain side.

This is looking straight down on the other side of that narrow bridge ....... the perception of depth is lost in the pic, you don't even see the four separate cascading steps through that water spray .... it's a least 15 - 20 meters down to where you see the water disappearing under the foliage.
IMG_9512.JPG

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

OK then, some pics as we went along ..........

IMG_9489.JPG
IMG_9493.JPG
IMG_9494.JPG
IMG_9495.JPG
IMG_9496.JPG
IMG_9497.JPG
IMG_9498.JPG

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

We spent much of the day driving up and down various vantage points to get great scenic views.
IMG_9501.JPG

"Edge!" .... "Yeah, what?" ..... "Don't go too close to the Edge" :tease:
IMG_9502.JPG

Ben & 'Bokkie' enjoying the view .... and some more besides! :D:
IMG_9503.JPG
IMG_9505.JPG
IMG_9506.JPG
IMG_9508.JPG
IMG_9510.JPG

One of the highest points.
IMG_9514.JPG
IMG_9516.JPG
IMG_9517.JPG
IMG_9519.JPG
IMG_9520.JPG
(31.83 KiB) Downloaded 471 times

It was after coming down from that peak that my brakes failed :eh: ..... There's a separate topic on that ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).
IMG_9521.JPG
Cloudy skies building as we circumvented the tail end of the dam down in the valley.
IMG_9522.JPG

We decided to get in one more vantage point before the weather closed in.
IMG_9523.JPG

The dam we had just passed (there are three in the area).
IMG_9524.JPG
IMG_9525.JPG

Then the mist started rolling in and we had to make a move to get down ....
IMG_9528.JPG
IMG_9532.JPG

........... but Keith's son was creating a barrier obstacle. :D:
IMG_9533.JPG

The mist came rolling in thick on the way down .....
IMG_9534.JPG

....... then Eskom decided to briefly turn off the lights! :D:
IMG_9535.JPG
(12.71 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
IMG_9537.JPG
On the way down we came across this spring in the hillside with crystal clear water gushing out at quite a rate. Some drank or filled bottles. (We were told that the Dept of Water Affairs had tested the water and said that it was one of the purest springs in the land.)
IMG_9539.JPG
IMG_9541.JPG

We made our way back to Wade's home which was to be base camp. We had travelled some 96 km's through the forests, having cut the trail short by a further 30 km's due to time constraints and the weather creeping in .... a good outing nonetheless. When we got to Wade's house, Annemarie and Donne already had a fire going and the guys were keen to start braaing. The ladies had even made salads for us. Great effort! :thumbup:
IMG_9547.JPG

The banter and ragging continued through until 'lights-out'. Next morning everyone was up early, bright and bushy tailed after a good night's sleep (despite the odd snoring). We were treated to a scrumptious breakfast which was mostly a team effort between Tony, Edge and Ben. Thanks guys! :thumbup:
IMG_9548.JPG
IMG_9549.JPG
The ragging between Edge and Tony is endless .... "Laurel and Hardy" (as one of the ladies had dubbed them) were jokingly outfitted for the occasion by Donne ...... and I don't think that's cooking oil in Tony's hand!
IMG_9552.JPG
IMG_9553.JPG
Some people are just plain blessed to live in such surroundings! :drool:
IMG_9555.JPG
IMG_9556.JPG
IMG_9558.JPG

....... Complete with ducks and spur-wing geese around a big Koi pond.
IMG_9559.JPG
IMG_9560.JPG

Chatting continued late into the morning before everyone split up to make their way back home. Jurgen and I travelled back to EL together ... it was great to meet you and have had you join us! :thumbup:
A very enjoyable and successful outing, thanks again one and all! :thumbup:

S'long 'till we meet again! :razz:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Oops! Almost forgot ..... a very big thanks to LA Sport for the donation of prizes!! Much appreciated by all! :thumbup: :thumbup:

SYRON CONVERSIONS

pic 15 from above, is this the road down through Water Lilly towards Lenz Forest Timbers, if it is, I stopped along the way as well and had a dump amongst the trees when I was passing through this way, what an awesome experience indeed. My jack russel Scott was with me as well.

simoan
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JEEPIE »

looks like you guys had a good time
amazing how scenic the eastern cape is
pity that province is in such a mess

SYRON CONVERSIONS

Where are the other pictures or was Andy the only person there?
Last edited by SYRON CONVERSIONS on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simoan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Simon, Shaun knows the E/Cape fairly well and I think he's referring to the lack of effective governance and maintenance / improvement of infrastructure. In this case I think that sadly we would all have to agree. ;-)

Anyway, if one looks at this thread it looks like I was the only one there ......... where are the other pics, guys? :D:

Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Thanx for the report Andy. Glad you also had the oppertunity to do something, as you know that Tony & I are digitally deficient. You still have not given us the promised computer lessons... Wade also sitting with a broken computer and Jurgen is probably awaiting his from Pretorsh. Probably also a bit shell shocked after Tony's poor behaviour over the course of the weekend. Will try to get him back to apologise and to rreturn the stolen property.
Thanks to all for attending and to Wade & Donne for their hospitality. Hope we see Jurgen again.
jvt172
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jvt172 »

We will certainly do it again. That is if I'm on the invitation list. Realy enjoyed the compony of everybody, some real toons attending. Lol. No just great people. Until we meet again.
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

I browsed through my pic and will only duplicate what Andy has provided and his is far better than mine in any case.

Thanks to all whom was involved in this outing we enjoyed it and the company of everyone. Thanks to Wade and Donne for accommodating us in their house. Would have been a bit wet outside in the tent.

When is the next outing?

Ben

Return to “Eastern Cape”