Hogsback and the passes

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Hogsback and the passes

Post by Mud Dog »

Planned scenic weekend outing ...... (4x4 and ground clearance required)

Friday afternoon - convene at our holiday cottage on the Hogsback / dinner

Saturday - Early breakfast to be ready to leave by 9.00am. Pass through state forest to the microwave tower lookout point from where we will see some of the Mitchell's Pass road. Take a short rough back-road onto the pass (not yet recce'd). Do the pass, a poorly used road nowadays - (should be interesting if the road is still in the degraded condition that it was last year, especially if conditions are wet).
Go on through Seymour and do the Katberg Pass and straight on to Devil's Bellows Pass where we can stop at the summit for lunch.
Make our way back, still looking for an interesting return route. If time allows, we can make a quick stop to pop in at the historic chapel, "St. Patrick's on The Hill" before returning to the cottage for a long evening of braaiing and talking crap.

Sunday - Breakfast and activity to still be decided - if you're energetic, a mushroom hunt in our private forest is a possibility.

These links should give a foretaste of what to expect

http://www.mountainpassessouthafrica.co ... sback.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mountainpassessouthafrica.co ... -pass.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za/ ... -r351.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No date decided as yet, let's plan this in advance, see who's keen and what date is best suited to those wanting to join in. Limited space available in the cottage, so preference will be given to anyone willing to join but not geared for camping. Bring whatever you require to be self-sufficient.

Cost - Just your time, your fuel and your own catering requirements.

Who's in??

• Andy, Sher, daughter & fiancée (4)

When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Re: Hogsback and the passes

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Who's in??

•[/quote]

Don't you like the guy!! surely if he is the fiancée you should know his name by now! :evil: ! :slap: ! :evil:
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Post by Whisky »

Hi Andy, Bokkie and I will join if the weekend is planned any weekend from 17th October and not later than 30 November.
AM Racing
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

I'd be be in but from the 20th or so..... Are Landrovers welcome? :twisted:
ImageImageImage
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Quentin wrote:Don't you like the guy!! surely if he is the fiancée you should know his name by now!
:lol: He's just fine, but he's a Mark(ed) man! :D:

Whisky wrote:Hi Andy, Bokkie and I will join if the weekend is planned any weekend from 17th October and not later than 30 November.
That's great Ben, we will want to accommodate as many as possible, so I'm sure we can work with those dates! Will be great to see you guys again! :thumbup:

AM Racing wrote:I'd be be in but from the 20th or so..... Are Landrovers welcome? :twisted:
And Now??!!! What have you done with your Hilux and my motor, besides stripping the diff!! :lol: Dylan, you and your family will always be welcome, you know that! Even if you pitched in a wheelbarrow, (which I dare say may be more reliable and capable than the Landy! :twisted: ). Looks like your date possibilities are also in line with Ben's. :thumbup:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Andy it's about time a GTG was organised again. :thumbup: Annemarie and I will do our best to not miss out on this one and I'm sure Edge and Viv will also be in.I'll speak to Wade and will let you know asap.Throw a few dates around so we can work around it. :thumbup:
jvt172
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4

Post by jvt172 »

Just say when. Will surely like to join.
Last edited by jvt172 on Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

So tentatively we have the following interest so far

• Ben & Bokkie (2)
• Dylan, Delia, Tegan & baby (3½)
• Tony & Annemarie (2)
• Edge & Viv (2)
• Wade & Donne (2) (Provisionally)
• Jurgen and family (?)

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

A 3rd link to 'Devil's Bellows Pass' has been added to the original post.

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

For the return trip, we can either retrace our path back (which we might have to do if the road further is still blocked by fallen trees), or we can proceed to Whittlesea and come down through the Nico Malan pass. That would make it 4 passes in one day, almost 200km, which should take approx 6 to 6½ hours round trip, lunch break included if we don't delay too much at the "photo stops". We should be back at base by about 4pm - enough time to get a braai going and sorting sleeping arrangements.

What say you?

Once back at Seymore (after Nico Malan), we can see how we stand with time. If it's still on our side, (we can play it by ear, but all we need is an extra ½ hour), we can go south through Seymore, past the Kat River Dam (also spectacular), circumvent the Hogsback around the bottom / south and come up through the Hogsback pass. It's the same pass we would have used coming up from the KWT side, but if we do it again on the day it would give us "5 passes in one day".

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

A suggestion for dates - the weekend of 24th, 25th & 26th October?

Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Andy I have noted that weekend. :thumbup:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

A suggestion for dates - the weekend of 24th, 25th & 26th October?

Hi Andy, This or the next week end should suit us fine...

What about Ivanhof if you have his number. There is also the fellow who had the red Lux... Tony & Wade also know him.

There is also the contingent from Port Elizabeth, is there no interest from them?
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East London - Thorn Park
Vehicle: Touareg R5 TDi

Post by 4ePikanini »

Devil's bellows

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... p?t=104218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is truly spectacular on a clear day!

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Haboob wrote:A suggestion for dates - the weekend of 24th, 25th & 26th October?

Hi Andy, This or the next week end should suit us fine...

What about Ivanhof if you have his number. There is also the fellow who had the red Lux... Tony & Wade also know him.

There is also the contingent from Port Elizabeth, is there no interest from them?
I've sent messaged to both Ivan (Ivanoff) and to Jay (JacoL) .... still waiting to hear from them. ;-)

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

4ePikanini wrote:Devil's bellows

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... p?t=104218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is truly spectacular on a clear day!
So why aren't you joining us, Marius? :D:

4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4ePikanini »

Perhaps. Is my beetle welcome? I dont own a Toyota. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jacol
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elisabeth

Post by jacol »

I would love to join unfortuanatly looks like I'm gonna loose out again as we're moving to a new house and its gonna fall over the same period. It seems like ill have to sit our till next year, but thanx for keeping me in mind
Opsmedic
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ TE 4x4 D/C and Suzuki SJ413
Club VHF Licence: HC 308

Post by Opsmedic »

Andy it sounds like a great trip and I would liked to do it but I am working at the Baywest Airshow that weekend but please keep us updated if there is any other trips planned
FIRSTGEER
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Hey there Marius.You dont have to own LUX to join us.The more the merrier and I notice that you'r very active on the community forum.You'l really enjoy our local Lux crowd.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Andy the weekend of the 25 October seems to be a good date. Lets book it and see how it suits the other members.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Marius, as I said to you earlier, you'd be more than welcome! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jay and David, thanks for the responses, would have been great if you were able to join us, but hey, next time, right?!!

Looks like the weekend of the 25th suits everyone, so let's make it final. We may even have an up-country visitor! ;-)

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Andy, That suites us FINE...
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

We will need a detailed trip report. Very detailed.

Every year we drive from GP to Kenton-on Sea, and I've always wanted to change oure route (Gariep, steynsburg etc) to go over Tarkastad. Why on earth Tarkastad?
Because in the dark ages when I was in the army I had a friend called Watson who hailed from Tarkastad, and for some reason I've always wanted to see it, even if it's only another average dorpie.
So on our next trip after this one, we'll save up a few Rands, and book accomodation somewhere in Hogsback, and spend a day or two there seeing the sights, driving the impassable passes, before we head to the coast. Won't be doing it this year, as we don't have the budget and don't relish the thought of having to drive those passes after having been on the road the whole day from GP with 2 cranky kids in the car (hence our plan to do it next year with Hogsback as base)
The links show some awesome scenery... Pretty please, nice trip report!
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Mickey, if and when you actually plan to do this, let us know and if at all possible from our side we will try and co-incide with your dates (hopefully a weekend). Then you and your family can also be accommodated gratis at our place up there and you don't have to save so much.

Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

Would love that.
Unfortunately, because of Calvin's condition we'd have to book a place which is faaaaar away from others... He gets up at 4am and wakes the whole world. Also risky to have the lad in strange accomodation as he loves to grab anything (ornaments etc) off shelves and can be a bit destructive, which makes for stressful visits for his parents, so instead of stressing that he's going to break something we'd rather book with strangers, pay them, and request they remove nicknacks before we arrive, letting them know about his condition. Usually folks are accomodating in that regard. I'd rather not strain a relationship because I am worried that my child will break something in your house, or feel that I'd inconvenienced you because you had to censor your place for him beforehand.
But then we could meet up for a bit of a trip through some of those passes, and perhaps turn it into something similar to what you folks are doing this year. We'd love to join! And thanx for the suggestion, it's gteatly appreciated!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks for your forthrightness, appreciated, and I do understand where you're coming from. We'll do a detailed report for you and hope that you will let us know when you plan on coming past this neck of the woods. :thumbup: ;-)

Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

Thanx! I'd rather be honest than wonder afterwards if my kid had annoyed someone... Hehehe.
Looks like our deal with buying the 2.7 is going ahead, so we'll at least be able to do the passes!
4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4ePikanini »

Shalene and I would love to join. A few questions though.

What's for dinner Friday night? Each bring their own stuff and we braai together or do we all add towards a food fund?
Same question for the Saturday morning? Do we have to bring our own braai stuff as well or is there facilities where the lot of us can cook our food etc.
Lunch (Saturday) I naturally presume we all take along. For each their own.
Again, the evening of Saturday to each their own?
Sunday morning - Can I suggest coffee and rusks and then we all have breakfast in King or some other nice spot someone knows of?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That would be great Marius - I'll add you to the list. :thumbup: Ja, each bring his own 'chop & dop', just remember that Saturday morning brekkie needs to be a quickie so that we can get moving early. We can look at the Sunday morning breakfast suggestion - there are some nice places at Hogsback as well. Might be a bit of a hassle from a restaurant's point of view to cater for a large unexpected crowd, wherever one goes. Maybe we make that call when we're there? :think:

Updated list .....

• Ben & Bokkie (2)
• Dylan, Delia, Tegan & baby (3½)
• Tony & Annemarie (2)
• Edge & Viv (2)
• Wade & Donne (2) (Provisionally)
• Jurgen and family (?)
• Marius & Shalene (2)

Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

looks pretty awesome.

maybe for my next trip/schoolholiday to do. a mere 12hr trip to get to Seymore. def trip to be done by the looks of it.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Tertius, that whole area around the Amatola mountains is very scenic, so ja, if you're travelling through the area then stay over at Hogsback for a couple of days (there are a couple of hotels and some B&B's) and do some sight seeing, mountain bike trails, hiking trails (single day up to six day hikes) or just wonder about the village and the shops / art studios.

There is an old children's camp (still used by school groups and boy scouts) called Hobbiton, it was this area that inspired "Lord of the rings" and hence the 'Hobbits'.

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S. Tertius, have a look at this older thread where I took Mark & family 'sight-seeing' in the Hogsback area.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=17917&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think that at any time were we more than 4km away from our cottage (many of those pics were taken in our own forest lands).

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Directions to our place at Hogsback.

If you will be coming from the Cathcart side (the N6) ..... the turn-off outside Cathcart (on the south side) will be the R345 (S32°18.099' - E027°08.482' ). A short while after turning onto the R345 you will get a turn-off to your left ( S32°18.836' - E027°07.617' ) which is actually still the R345 (if you carry on straight it becomes the R351). The R345 goes through Hogsback. You will turn off to your right at about ( S32°35.070' - E026°55.498' ). If you are coming from the KWT side you would turn off here to the left. At this turn-off you should see a sign that reads "Starways". There will be another turn-off to Starways and our place at ( S32°35.162' - E026°54.819' ) Your destination will be about 200 metres further at ( S32°35.316' - E026°54.700' )

You might want to copy and print these directions / co-ords.

You might also want to note my cell no. if you don't already have it .... zero eight three, 352 one zero 94

;-)

Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Andy what is the situation at your place in Hogsback with regard to camping. Must we be completely self-sufficient?

I read that each will provide for their own meals.

Thanks,
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ben, there is electricity in the cottage, good enough to charge cell phones whatever, but won't be able to handle a whole lot of camping fridges although that shouldn't be a problem if your dual battery system works. There is a geyser, but it won't be enough for everyone to shower, even if we boil water time will be against us (only one shower), so it might just be a lick and promise, or rough it (unless you have your own camp shower). The toilet is part of the bathroom (not separate), although there is a long-drop out-house in case of emergency. Sleeping accom is very limited, so it would mean camping - RTT or pitch a tent on the front lawn.

I will in all likelihood be going up on the Friday after lunch and all are welcome from the Friday, but if it appeals to you more to sleep just one night, then you can pitch up early Saturday morning but just remember that we want to hit the trail no later than 9.00 am.

Plan your meals accordingly - Saturday night will definitely be a braai, bring own chop & dop. There is a braai there but might not be big enough for all to braai at the same time, I will pack in a small portable and we will probably need one more. There should be enough wood lying around up there and I will bring some charcoal as well. Bring camping chairs if you have.

There is plenty water, but the quality varies, so some drinking water might be best brought along with you.

Anything that I may have left out?

4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4ePikanini »

Sounds like stuff memories are made of. :)

Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Thanks Andy, got it.
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Andy I hope dont mind if another mate of mine(Wades other half,s father namely Peter Schenk and his wife join us on our Saturday drive.They live up the the Hoggsback.We can take the opertunity to twist his arm to join the furum and club.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

No problem at all, Tony. While I think of it again I wanted to ask if you and Edge can bring your spare radios ... Peter will need and so will a few others. I know that Dylan has his own, but he's ringing two guests and not sure if he has any spares. My spare will be used by Jurgen. The more vehicles in contact, the better, obviously.

While speaking to Dylan today, he told me that Delia and baby will not be joining them - she has a function on the Saturday that she needs to attend. (List amanded). I am still unsure how many in Jurgen's party and still have no confirmation about whether Wade & Donne are coming. Also don't know how many in Dylan's guest parties.

An updated list then (it has grown! :thumbup: )

• Ben & Bokkie (2)
• Dylan, Tegan (2)
• Tony & Annemarie (2)
• Edge & Viv (2)
• Wade & Donne (2)
• Jurgen and family (?)
• Marius & Shalene (2)
• Peter Schenk & Swambo (2)
• Dylan guest (LR Defender)
• Dylan guest (Hilux Brad, wife and baby) (2¼)

That makes 11 vehicles, which is still easily manageable on this type of trip.
The route itself will be about 200km, ensure that you have fuel.
It might yet be 'early days' to speculate, but the forecast for Saturday's weather does not look too promising - you might wanna pack in your Wellies.

AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

We will book in across the road at Serendipity as Brad (Hilux) and his wife have a small baby. It's also a good excuse to get my hot morning shower to free up my back.......

ImageImageImage
FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Wade and Donne' are joining us so count them in thanks Andy.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

FIRSTGEER wrote:Wade and Donne' are joining us so count them in thanks Andy.
Thanks Tony! "Provisional" status removed from the list.

Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Hi Andy just for your attention we have booked in at a self catering nearby. Will see you Friday evening.
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

Wife and little one joining

ImageImageImage
jvt172
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0d4d 4x4

Post by jvt172 »

Good evening all. I'll have to sit out on this one some work obligations suddenly. Cry cry cry....... untill next time.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ben, so noted. (Booked at "Serendipity" I assume.) ;-)

Dylan, good to hear! :thumbup:

Jurgen - Aw! What a pity ..... if the situation still changes, we'd really like you to join!

So then we have ....

• Ben & Bokkie (2)
• Dylan, Delia, Tegan & baby(3½)
• Tony & Annemarie (2)
• Edge & Viv (2)
• Wade & Donne (2)
• Jurgen and family (canclled)
• Marius & Shalene (2)
• Peter Schenk & Swambo (2)
• Dylan guest (LR Defender)
• Dylan guest (Hilux Brad, wife and baby) (2¼)

;-)

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Anyone travelling in convoy? Marius, do you know when you'll be travelling?

4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4ePikanini »

Dyllan and I are driving in convoy Friday afternoon.
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

We will be leaving Stutterheim around 17:00 going over Cathcart. No Andy booked at Bubuhle!!

OK so what will the program be: Friday evening do as we wish (will come and say hello), Saturday morning own breakfast, own lunch and Saterday evening we all braai together at your place. Sunday morning own breakfast and do we then get together again or each go their own way. I also assume a lot depends on the weather.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

4ePikanini wrote:Dyllan and I are driving in convoy Friday afternoon.
Cool .... was just worrying that you might get lost. :lol:
Whisky wrote:We will be leaving Stutterheim around 17:00 going over Cathcart. No Andy booked at Bubuhle!!

OK so what will the program be: Friday evening do as we wish (will come and say hello), Saturday morning own breakfast, own lunch and Saterday evening we all braai together at your place. Sunday morning own breakfast and do we then get together again or each go their own way. I also assume a lot depends on the weather.
That's about it Ben, a lot will be weather dependant of course. You could also join us for your breakfast on Sunday.

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Weather forecasts look bleak, I think we have a wet weekend ahead of us - the trails should be interesting! :D:

See you all tomorrow - Travel safely! ;-)

AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

We like it wet........
ImageImageImage
4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4ePikanini »

It is wet.
Wet.jpg
(428.25 KiB) Downloaded 327 times

Pic fixed - F_D.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks guys for attending, it was really great to see you all again and to meet a few new faces! We thoroughly enjoyed the outing and the company!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4ePikanini »

Thanks to you Andy. I really enjoyed the weekend.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1414334842099.jpeg
uploadfromtaptalk1414334842099.jpeg (26.33 KiB) Viewed 10246 times
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Thanks Andy for arranging this weekend. We really enjoyed it and it was great to meet new people and put a face to a forum member. Thanks to all whom assisted in the difficult sections.
4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4ePikanini »

FIRSTGEER

Post by FIRSTGEER »

A very big thanks to Andy and Sherridene for hosting us and for organising an awsome drive and weekend.Also great to meet new faces and also other avid 4x4 members driving other makes of vehicles.I can't wait for the next outing ?
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Thanks to all that attended a great week-end and the stunning photography posted.
The haunted forrests look awesome in the soft light provided for the occasion.
The vehicles all behaved impecably.
Thanks again to Andy & Sherry for everything...

Return to “Eastern Cape”