Klerksdorp's secret 4x4 trail - discovered at last!

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Klerksdorp's secret 4x4 trail - discovered at last!

Post by Family_Dog »

When I took Bulldog to Warthog 4x4 to sort out some suspension noises during this last week, Johnny mentioned the little 4x4 track just behind the shop. So, this afternoon, returning from an outing at the Vaal River, I went and looked for it. And there it was: hidden in an old quarry that I never even knew existed. The track is short, probably only one or two kilometres in length, but it had everything, inclines, water, rocks, logs. So we tried it out! No problem, first attempt at an incline in 4L in second gear bombed out, no difflock, but then 1st L worked fine, although I cheated a little and used the D/L, which I was keen to test. Never tried the water/marsh area as we had no recovery gear on board, but I don't think it would have been a problem.

We watched another Hilux SFA performing and it was a pretty mean machine, with 32" MT fitted. But the engine beat interested me, the car never seemed to go above an idle. We waited for them to catch up to us and then spoke to the driver, Coen, and he showed us the reason why - a beautiful Lexus V8 engine! Expertly fitted, and using a KZTE radiator with one massive electric fan, the vehicle suffered no overheating problems. Coen explained that he has elected to use the standard drive train although he has the Lexus Auto-box at home. I don't know the EMS he used, I think he mentioned the name as T-Bone (or something to do with a "T" :mrgreen: ), apparently also a local development.

Nobody seems to know whose land this is, probably Municipal, and no one knows who built the track - it was a very well-kept secret! But it is worth a visit and best thing is, it's only three kilometres from my home :) It is an ideal training track for newbies, but there is one spot where one can lose it if not careful. The V8-powered Hilux managed to tear off its rear bumper on the trail as well, when Coen's better half took the wheel, in spite of the enhanced body-lift it had.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dadz Toy BFI

Re: Klerksdorp's secret 4x4 trail - discovered at last!

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Glad you've found a lekker local Playground Eric, got any pics :!: :?: :?:

R
Rampie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: '10 Pajero Sport

Post by Rampie »

Eric
Directions?
Rampie
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Rich, pics next time, it was an unplanned visit.

Andre, From Platam, cross over the N12 into the road leading to Cargo Motors, but drive past Cargo then turn right and follow the track. After a while, you will see the Quad Bike trail on your left - carry on straight. The 4x4 trail is about 500m or so past this. There are little blue arrows painted on the rocks to indicate the direction you should go. Don't tell anybody, but I was going the wrong way :shock: . But as there were only two other 4x4s there, it was no sweat, the other Hilux was also going in the wrong direction and I think the Wrangler driver just gave up and went home again.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by Toybox »

Hmmm,

I want to come through that way to visit Oom Blom, who has kindly offered to take a look at my rear bumper...

Perhaps we should have a mini GTG on the secret trail....
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Better still, I will also accompany you to Oom Blom, I want to replace my rear bumper as well! I also want provision for fitting a spare wheel on it :) Oom Blom lives about an hour and a quarter from me, in the village of Landrovia, also famous for its Noddy cars.

I will also show you Klerksdorp Rocky Trail, also about four or five Kms from home in the opposite direction. This is a very short trail, but very interesting, nevertheless!

You can comfortably do both trails in under an hour :mrgreen:

-F_D

Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by Toybox »

Super, well lets set a day for a meet at the darkside, the village of Landrovia... :twisted:

To be honest I'm not sure i can afford to replace the entire bumper completely :oops: , but I need the mounting brackets cut and repositioned. Having said that with any luck Oom Blom can wangle a way to get a spare wheel swingarm on too! :wink:

Let me know what, when, where and who!
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Eish Madala. I've been there twice already.
I even gave directions to it, but I think I gave it to Andre on the community forum, but I might have mentioned it to you too, on this very forum :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anyway, glad you discovered it. It is a lekke plek to scratch the itch.

I've been through the water, first walked it, no problemo.

I even tried some of the bike ramps. But some of the break over angles are not for bakkies :mrgreen:

I'll give you a ring when I'm there again, the we can do it together, and you can sommer show me the Rocky trail as well.
If Andre is in the country he can join us
ImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

ToyX4 wrote:
I even tried some of the bike ramps. But some of the break over angles are not for bakkies :mrgreen:
That only means you have to go over it a little bit faster :twisted: :twisted:
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Family_BullDog wrote:Better still, I will also accompany you to Oom Blom, I want to replace my rear bumper as well! I also want provision for fitting a spare wheel on it :) Oom Blom lives about an hour and a quarter from me, in the village of Landrovia, also famous for its Noddy cars.

-F_D
Hey, Madalla and Jonathan. Ekke eerste... :mrgreen:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
duppa
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: '96 hilux dbl cab

Post by duppa »

hi there is a farmer in hartbeesfontein who has a nice trail, nobody knows about it caus he doesnt realy adverize it. pm me and i will give you his cell#
ImageImageImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi duppa, and welcome to the forum!

I have only today learned of another 'secret trail' just past Klerksdorp Dam. But there is scope in Hartbeesfontein for some good trails, I will PM you now.

-F_D

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

C'mon Uncle, do tell, lets not keep it a secret :D:
ImageImage
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Riaan, the one trail is temporarily closed now while they're hunting on the farm. Still have to confirm the second trail!

-F_D

Return to “Trail Reports”