Doornrivier

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Doornrivier

Post by Family_Dog »

Unless something terribly untoward happens, tomorrow morning I will be heading to Doornrivier, 12km outside Zeerust. I really need to get out of the house for a while, looking after an aged parent (95 years young!) keeps me homeward bound most of the time but I have arranged with family from Gautengaland to accompany me and for their wives to look after Mom. There will be myself and John in the SFA, while Jacques & Brenda will be accommodated by a Defender 110.

We have a bit of a "thing" on the go, but I'm sure the SFA will come out tops! My only concern, however slight, is that the Weber will not like inclines, but this will be put to the test tomorrow.

Doornrivier website: http://www.doornrivier.co.za/

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Doornrivier

Post by BenHur »

Eric

Ek hoop jy geniet jou terdee. Jy verdien die blaas kansie ou maat. Is dit jou verjaarsdag geskenk aan jouself? :wink:

Hou die Hilux se naam hoog. Moenie worry oor die Carb ding nie. Dis gewoonlik net op extreme obstacles wat dit 'n probleem is
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Bennie,

Nog iets wat my so klein bietjie pla is die bande, gewone Dunlop AT Trackmakers of so iets... weet nie hoe goed hulle sal wees nie. Daardie area is vol van wat lyk soos Slasto, ek het gevind met die ou bande wat ek gehad het, het ek "sideways" gegly op die klip as daar effens van 'n slope is. Ek glo hierdie bande sal in elk geval beter byt as die wye bande wat ek voorheen opgehad het.

'n Bietjie van 'n belated verjaarsdag geskenk, jip, maar dis ook 'n 'charity run' ten bate van die plaaslike kleuterskool.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi FD

Enjoy it :!: You desreve a relaxing break I am sure the SFA will show its self to be tops :mrgreen: just the way it should be.

CM
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I just hope I won't have to submit a story about how the L/R recovered me... :P :oops:

-F_D

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Well, we did Doornrivier today! They had two trails operating, one marked for "extreme vehicles", pipe cars or heavily modded 4x4s, and one for normal 4x4's. We did the latter course, because the former course was a bit extreme for us and there is a real possibility of vehicle damage.

The trail was only some 3 - 4 kms long, and took about two and a half hours to complete. Nothing on it was too scary, but my Hilux really didn't like the tight corners they set for us to maneuver with hubs locked and I had to reverse a couple of times to make the grade.

What I learned:

* The Weber Carb is not a great success on really steep climbs, I ran dry a couple of times just as I reached the top of the climb. EFI the way to go here, or even the standard Toyota carb.

* Climbs that I thought I could do in 2nd Low were too steep, and I couldn't, in spite of trying to build up sufficient speed to overcome the climb. After a bit of practise and sorting myself out, I eventually got to know which climbs to attempt in flat-out 1st low, or flat-out 2nd low.

* Our tyres were against us, not enough track grip. But then, this was a trade-off from the beginning, with mostly on-tar travelling and relatively little extreme conditions, I will live with that.

* I lost points on the reversing section, the canopy rear door with the ultra small rear window coupled to dark smash & grab fitted to all the windows meant I could only use the side mirrors which did not allow me to see all that I wanted to see during the reversing obstacle. :oops:

* I'm starting to see the usefulness of a rear diff-lock. I think it would make life much easier for the steeper sandy sections. Or am I saying that just because I want one... :wink:

* I was wearing sunglasses, therefore did not notice the green A/C light burning and did not realise I was doing the whole course with the A/C running flat out. Driver error! :mrgreen:

Now, the good...

One of the nicest looking Hiluxes I've ever seen. Raised suspension, rear diff-lock, 2.4 22R engine. This chap managed the ramp hill-climbs with ease, engine just purring over. The car was in beautiful condition and obviously well-enjoyed by the owner.

... the Bad...

A Jeep Cherokee blew its engine going up one of these steep ramps (what's the proper terminology for this??) and was forced to retire.

A Jeep Wrangler withdrew from the trail because of insufficient ground clearance. Wise move, I also respect my vehicle and will do nothing to endanger it.

... the UGLY!

This was a funny looking home-made vehicle, looked something like a flattened Unimog. He had no chance going up the ramps (terminology??) because of insufficient weight in the rear, leading to poor traction. Eventually, a hefty helper jumped in the back to provide the missing weight, and he then managed the ramp successfully.

Photos:

I didn't realise this was going to be a competitive event, and therefore my photographer became my co-driver. However, the event organisers had cameras at all obstacles and also collected individual photos from competitors. These will all be collated and burnt to a DVD. When I receive same, I will post some.

Doornrivier is a great site for an outing. The hosts, Andre & Mariesa arranged an excellent event and great fun was had by all. They do have overnighting facilities, but we had to return due to family reasons.

Oh, and the Weber carb: Apart from the problems experienced above, I returned from the 450km round trip with the gauge showing three-quarters full. This meant I probably only used about 80 litres for the whole trip (from a 120 litre total capacity) compared to a previous trip to the same area, but the farm next door with less strainful trails and less than a quarter tank showing on the gauge. So the economy mode is much better! :D :D

-F_D

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Cool it looks like you had a great time. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Next time you need to reverse open the canopy door and tie it down with a rope so that it stands horizontal. Then you get the best of both worlds. Increased traction on the rear due to the weight and better visibility at the rear.

Is your Weber rotated 180deg as Riceburner mentioned elsewhere?

So when are we installing your EFI. I will help you install the Management system if you like and if you come to PTA we can sommer do it here and get my neighbour to dyno it for you right away. His dyno is less then a km away from where we stay
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Bennie,

Didn't want to do the open canopy door thing because I figured I could reverse without it - guess what :oops: :mrgreen:

With all these 4Y-powered Chinese vehicles now driving around RSA, I'm sure I will be fitting an EFI sooner rather than later, as soon as I get my grubby paws on one. Then I will definitely contact you!

My Weber is not rotated at 90° because Piet Carburettor said he was unable to get hold of a fitting at the time. Wonder how hard he really looked for one?

I'm moeg... off to zzzz :)

-F_D

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Looks like you had alot of fun :mrgreen: I am really looking forward to seeing your photos :!: Pitty about the carb troubles however how many other 20 year 4x4`s could even hope to match the SFA or even new 4x4`s 8) :lol:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Here are a few pics that we took of Doornkruin. There will be more pics when we receive the DVD.

We were No. 28 and here we are before the start of the trail
No. 28 ready for action!
No. 28 ready for action!
Part of the "initiation" was to drink either a Coke or Beer from a small holee in the bottom of the can which had first been violently shaken. The kids substituted for me... (Hey! I had a clean shirt on! :mrgreen: )
Drinking fizzy Coke thru' a small hole without messing
Drinking fizzy Coke thru' a small hole without messing
Brenda walking the tight rope from the wrong ebd of a pair of binocs. Not as easy as it looks!
Brenda attempting the tight-rope walk using Binocs in reverse mode
Brenda attempting the tight-rope walk using Binocs in reverse mode
I was laughning me @ss off at my Co-Driver....
F-D laughing at his co-driver, who...
F-D laughing at his co-driver, who...
...Who bravely substituted for me in "Spoeging die Bok Drol". We got 8.5 metres. You should just be able to see the spat-out bok-drol to the left of the bush in the picture, behind the Hilux. (Thanks, John!).
John doing the 'Bok Drol' thing.jpg
Fun for all, big & small, was to be had.
Big people or small Jeeps?
Big people or small Jeeps?
And suddenly, out of nowhere, a Hilux appeared :P :P
Part of the trail
Part of the trail
The weather held out, cool & cloudy in the morning, warm & windy in the afternoon.

-F_D

Return to “Trail Reports”