Atlantis Moon Landscape Wasteland Adventures

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Atlantis Moon Landscape Wasteland Adventures

Post by ThysdJ »

Coenie and I were invited on the weekend to go for a quick spin in the dunes by somebody my other half knows who happens to drive a Jeep Cherokee, and was looking for some serious off-road fun. After all the preliminary questions were answered satisfactorily, it was on. These prelim questions included such small points as Do we have permits/Does he have recovery equipment/ Can the Jeep actually drive off road etc etc? Last time it ventured off the blacktop, this happened!

After all the finer details were ironed out, it was on. We met at the 1st gate, (with me about 15 minutes late) deflated the tyres, recruited some members for the forum, and set off into the white-ness. The sand was quite soft, as the wind has been blowing quite a bit lately and it was warm enough to dry the top layers out. The dunes are also shifting, as is usual at this time of the year with winds changing from NW to SE. This made for interesting driving, as the normal landmarks seems to disappear.

We did the usual places, but from early on it became abundantly clear that we will have to get on with it as the sun was out to get us. It was really hot. What seemed like a huge workout for the Jeep was childs play for Kaspaas and the Rat, but although the Jeep is pretty capable, the driver was a little too careful and would rather get stuck than take a chance of damage to the tupperware. The dunes were way too much of an off-road experience for the driver.

Once midday came we were all out on our way home, it was just too hot and the glare was really bright. We all had a hot good time though, and we are ready for more, only when it is a little cooler, not 38 in the shade.

Kaspaas lost the power steering belt, and turning became a huge effort. Especially with deflated tyres... But once I had the front wheels inflated to 2.5bar (or should that be 3.5bar George?) turning was a little easier. At first I thought the diff-lock was not dis-engaging, but when I opened the bonnet (darn) I saw the P/S pump was without a belt. Luckily the P/S has a dedicated belt, so everything else was working fine.

Coenie's Rat had no problems in the heat, with heaps of low down torque spinning the tyres with impunity and clearing the big dune with minimal run-up.
ImageImage
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...

Return to “Trail Reports”