Leeuwenboschfontein 14/03/2009

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Leeuwenboschfontein 14/03/2009

Post by ThysdJ »

We decided to check out our camping equipment and to see if we need to add stuff to out "camping checklist". So, between Coenie and myself, we organised a little camping weekend for our families
at Leeuwenboschfontein (http://www.leeuwenboschfontein.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and seeing as it was in Hentey's back yard we decided to invite him along for the trail. :thumbup:

Arrival
We arrived on Friday at about 6pm and pitched camp. Coenie and family stayed in a very nice little cottage next to the campsite. We stayed in the campsite and slept in the RTT. We had an early-ish night in anticipation of the trail on Saturday. :clap: :clap:

Sandbags
Saturday morning we had a nice breakfast, bacon eggs and the likes made in a skottelskaar and Hentey arrived with the news that Hilux bakkies must report to Reception to load the compulsory 6 sandbags. Apparently this is to aid with traction as Hilux bakkies are prone to erode the trail on the uphills due to excessive wheelspin from the rear wheels. We though he was joking.... we reported to reception.. he was not joking... These guys were serious. 6 sandbags. We asked if this was compulsory for all vehicles, but found out it was only for Hilux bakkies, as Jeeps, L/R and other SUV's and bakkies have more weight on the rear wheels. Hentey and I convinced them that our respective canopies and equipment and in my case the RTT weighs more than their compulsory 6 sandbags, but Coenie was stuck with the handicap, as he only had a tonneau cover on the back of his Hilux. As we have vowed to abide by the rules of the trail owner Coenie humored them and took the sandbag on board. :shock: :crazy: :crazy:

Uphill "Klipmatte"
The trail runs all along the top of a ridge until it rounds a hill and then the fun starts, as there is a really long 200m + climb of almost 30 degrees, where the trail owners packed rocks inside huge diamond mesh wire "bags" to form what they call "klipmatte". This is done to avoid erosion, as the uphill would get severely rutted and washed out in no time if the surface was not protected in this way. The klipmatte also provide ample traction to get up the steep hill. Very eco-friendly. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The Lapa
The long climb ends at a lapa on top of the mountain with 360 degree views of the surrounding hills and valleys. It is really an awesome sight. The lapa has toilet facilities in the form of a long-drop, and a huge braai inside the glass fronted lapa. There is also a nice deck where we sat to take in the views. We spent an hour or so up at the lapa having lunch and a cold drink before we made our way down again. 8 ) 8 )

Gr4 Roundabout
We had to go down that long incline again and halfway down it branches off to a Gr4 section. We decided to go along that route. After a few tight twists and turns we ended up at a spot where the trail splits in 2. To the right a drop of 30-40 degrees and to the left the escape route. After the first look at the downhill it was decision time. I asked who was going to join me in taking the escape route.... We walked the trail almost all the way down and Hentey decided the chances of damage to his vehicle was too much, as the Excaliburs and the front bumper was definitely going to get snagged on some of the rocks. I decided to go down after all, and see if it is really as scary as it looks. It looked like there would have been enough traction, despite the steepness, as most of the loose rocks were encased in klipmatte. It was as scary as it looked. Coenie also decided that he was not going to go down there with his kids in the car and also took the escape route. :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... V03207.flv

Seperated
Seeing as the other 2 drivers decided to take the escape route we were on our won on a very nice part of the trail. Lots of really tight twists and turns in and out of a dry riverbed. Quite a few times I had to make 3-point turns to get around some of the turns, with very little room to maneuver. After about half an hour we joined up with the rest of our group. From that point it was plain sailing all the way back to the camp.

Aftermath
After dropping off Coenies 6 sandbag penalty, and loading 3 bags of firewood we headed back to the camp. Hentey and family stuck around for a cold one and a lekker chat and after-trail debriefing and then packed up and left for Woester along the Ouberg road to Montagu. We were all quite tired and sunburnt after a hot day out so a lekker braai, a few ice cold beers went down well. Thanks Hentey, we had heaps of fun. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Back home
Sunday morning we woke up and straight off we could feel that this was going to be a scorcher. So we packed up camp and tried to get away before it got too hot. We also took the Ouberg road to Montagu. Very beautiful part of the country that. In Montagu we inflated our tyres again to tar-road pressures and headed home ASAP to try and beat the heat... mistake.. you cannot outrun the sun.. :shock: :shock:

Overall Impressions
Leeuwenboschfontein is a really nice place to camp. The facilities are all tidy and clean and well maintained. The trail is also in a very good condition and the trail owners are doing their best to conserve nature and protect the environment. The "Sandbag" rule is a bit silly, but hey, it's his farm and I guess he can make the rules. The people who runs the establishment are friendly and helpful. Although there was no grass in the campsite, the gravel was neatly raked and clean.

Lessons Learned
Our camping list is almost complete.
Being out in the sun with a "shavathon" hairstyle and no hat is just plain daft.
Trying to catapult your steak into your mouth means you end up with salad on you top... Coenie??
A Hilux does need a working aircon.
An SFA Hilux is still the nicest vehicle to drive on a dirt road at 80km/h with 33" tyres deflated to 1 bar. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Will do this again, tomorrow, and the day after...
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Leeuwenboschfontein 14/03/2009

Post by george »

Sounds lekka Thys.
Load some pics now man.I want to see the steak trick
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

george wrote:Sounds lekka Thys.
Load some pics now man.I want to see the steak trick
I will load some pics this afternoon at home.

You will have to use your imagination with the steak trick... the shutter speed was wayyy to slow to capture it in the dark.. :shock: :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

Man, the brandy made me REALLY hungry and I thought by catapulting the steak into my mouth I'll be done eating quicker, because I started to get thirsty again, but the salad threw a curveball and landed on my lap. No aerodynamic efficiency in salad that is a fact (citation needed). The steak was nice and crunchy but edible enough after hitting me on the forehead region. And the polisie koffie did hide my embarrassment well enough.
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Some Pics:
Coenie's idea of "Roughing It"... :shock:
IMG_1088.jpg
Our idea of "Roughing It"... :twisted:
IMG_1090.jpg
Breakfast :thumbup:
IMG_1093.jpg
The Rat:
IMG_1095.jpg
The Kaspaas:
IMG_1099.jpg
The Underdog:
IMG_1106.jpg
A Rat on a Klipmat:
IMG_1112.jpg
Underdog doing the same:
IMG_1119.jpg
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Some More Pics:
The Lapa at the top:
IMG_1122.jpg
The view from the Lapa:
IMG_1124.jpg
The campsite:
IMG_1126.jpg
More Views:
IMG_1130.jpg
Trusty Steeds:
IMG_1132.jpg
Relaxing in the sun:
IMG_1136.jpg
More Relaxing:
IMG_1143.jpg
Pretty??
IMG_1146.jpg
Thys de Jager

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Lyk lekker.
Slaap julle nou apart dat daar 2 tente is :?: :lol:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

george wrote:Lyk lekker.
Slaap julle nou apart dat daar 2 tente is :?: :lol:
Kombuistent... en ons het baie rooiwyn saamgevat.. dan raak die leer steil (Gr5 obstacle).. Kannie sonder winch daar op nie.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Great pics & report, het al vergeet hoe mooi dit daar is!
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks for the TR and the pics. Beautiful area, .... although I live on the coast, I'm essentially a mountain man. Evidence of some massive tectonic subduction in those ranges .... just beautiful. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Mud Dog wrote:....... massive tectonic subduction in those ranges ....
Coenie had too many baked beans that morning.. :o:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Thys, baie nice trail report......Dit lyk baie mooi daarso en ek is seker julle kan seker die volgene WC outing daar gaan hou......... :twisted: :twisted: :thumbup:
Johan Marais
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

JohanM wrote:Thys, baie nice trail report......Dit lyk baie mooi daarso en ek is seker julle kan seker die volgene WC outing daar gaan hou......... :twisted: :twisted: :thumbup:
Nee wat Johan, die WC se ouens wil nie sommer so ver ry vir 'n roete nie... Hulle wil dan nie eers n outing organise nie.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:thumbup: very nice, awesome views, checked the vid, photos and vid never show how bad a hill really is. :lol:
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Thys, ek sien hulle het n artikel oor Leeuwenboschfontein (hulle moes n korter naam gekry het) roete ... in die May 09, SA 4X4. Hulle gee nice inligting met n klein kaart aan en syunning pics :thumbup:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Niel wrote:Thys, ek sien hulle het n artikel oor Leeuwenboschfontein (hulle moes n korter naam gekry het) roete ... in die May 09, SA 4X4. Hulle gee nice inligting met n klein kaart aan en syunning pics :thumbup:
Yes Niel I also read the article, but it was the syunning pics that made it special... It really is a nice trail, go do it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thys de Jager

Arno
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville CT
Vehicle: 1997 Hilux DC

Post by Arno »

Lekker storie Thys dankie. Wie het juou canopy gebou ? Jy het dit seker al geskryf maar ek is 'n "newbie" . Ek is in die mark vir canopy en kyk rond. My Lux het 'n Andy Cab op. Dis sterk maar lelik .... canopy lyk groter as die Lux. Alucab is duur.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Self gebou Arno. Sodra ek orders het vir 7 dan begin ek hulle vir ander ouens ook bou. Die materiaal was about so R3500 gewees. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Kaspaas wrote:syunning pics
kom van laat aande
Kaspaas wrote:It really is a nice trail, go do it.
Definatief iewers in die volgende somer :thumbup:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Jy moet in die winter gaan Niel, dit sneeu daar... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Return to “Trail Reports”