Takbok 20 June 2009

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1996 dc raider 2,4

Takbok 20 June 2009

Post by wacky »

Well,well,well , the infamous Takbok trail was not so bad at all.We were 3 vehicles 2 SFA
and a IFS. At the first uphill my buddy with the SFA Flew up the hill with wheelspinning and the 2,4 just increased its rev's. :clap: then second yourstruly walked it up without any wheelspinning. :clap: Then with 5 attempts the IFS managed not to make the little Hill. We eventually decided to winch him up as he only made it to the midsection and ran out of rev's. :crazy: Is this normal for a 2,7i to run out of steam :?: then further down/up the trail @ the rocks he also struggled with that 2,7i losing traction at every hole.is that normal for this IFS.Not being funny Im glad that I own a SFA just for the articulation.The uphill went fine and then the downhill.What a jol ,our SFA was used to this kind a roughness and beating.then at the bottom playground we had some fun with our vehicles.As we finished our breakfast we continued towards the DEEL 2 (ompad section )of the Bergroete.About a 1km into the trail our path was blocked with a huge tree that uprooted. we tried winching it out of the way ,but did not succeed. There was no way to drive around the tree on either side.:oops: We then turned around to do the DEEL 2 section,also 1km through the swamp a huge tree was blocking the path.That just didnt make our day. When we went back to the reception the guide politely told us that we were the furthest into the trail.(HUH,what about the 45 and 60 degree.)
We eventually did the sandroete and played till 6pm.
Please note will send pictures in due course
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Takbok 20 June 2009

Post by ThysdJ »

Were you using LR on the uphill? The 2.7 should not have run out of steam at all. Glad you enjoyed it, sounds like you had fun with all the winching and stuff... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by wacky »

Yes he was using 4l range,maybe its something to do with his not so good tyres as.he mentioned about clutch slipping under his foot.evertime he climbs an obstacle his rev's run out.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The clutch is probably on it's way out... I've been on a few routes with IFS 2.7's and they are very capable... a stuffed clutch will make any 4x4 look useless!

B
Last edited by Mr_B on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

wacky wrote:Please note will send pictures in due course
Peeeeekchaz say a thousand words wacks :thumbup: :thumbup:
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by wacky »

Pictures as promised: :D The trio
this was the 1st obstacle where he could not make it
The first wash
the sandtrails
at the lapa
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

I might be mistaken,but that maroon 2.7 looks like a 2x4,cause on the peechas I cant see the red dial.Let me tell you if you dont have lockers on that sfa,the ifs with its difflock in the rear will out perform that sfa by far.No jokes.

Now I'm opening a can of worms.................!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
shaunmeizter
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.4 DC & Fortuna 3D4D 4x4

Post by shaunmeizter »

On the sand section did they cut away some of the branches that was over hanging into the route and scrapped of the paint? I would like to do the route again but the damages ware huge last year. I remember Jaco (Suidwes) lost his aerial on the route.
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by wacky »

Nope those branches is still there: scrapped our vehicles lekka. luckily those branches does not have thorns in them- like those in Mont-Eco nature reserve. :cry:
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by wacky »

@ Hentey - doubt it very much - look under the technical section SFA vs IFS. there you will find much debate.The blue SFA has no difflocks and the Red IFS is 4x4 without any difflocks.If his clutch(so he claimed) was fixed we could assess his abilities properly.But this I can tell u.At every obstacle we approach he was the one that struggled the most. At the very first mountain obstacle myself had to winch him up because his rev's were running out and he was coughing rocks on all fours. :D:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Great Peekchaz, thanks for posting :thumbup: :thumbup:

Glad you did this Trail, it was my number 1 choice for the Trail on the 4th; I would have been lekker pee'd off if it was blocked, I hate revving around in sand, not my cuppa tea :roll: :wink:
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

wacky wrote:@ Hentey - doubt it very much - look under the technical section SFA vs IFS. there you will find much debate.The blue SFA has no difflocks and the Red IFS is 4x4 without any difflocks.If his clutch(so he claimed) was fixed we could assess his abilities properly.But this I can tell u.At every obstacle we approach he was the one that struggled the most. At the very first mountain obstacle myself had to winch him up because his rev's were running out and he was coughing rocks on all fours. :D:
Deon,all I can say is something is terribly wrong there,mayde the hubs were not locked in,cant say,but you talk to the people that have em both,like FD and other.BTW that raider should have a rear difflock,it is the SRX that is without it.
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by wacky »

I spoke to my pal before I post anything and for sure his hubs were locked etc.I have listen to previous post and fully understand what they are saying.Its just that something is definately wrong with his vehicle.I don't know but no difflock at all.no buttons to engage ,nothing.If it had difflock I would like to see it perform with my own eyes. :wink:
@ Dadz the mountain trail is block with trees,don't know if its cleared by now. :(

Return to “Trail Reports”