West Coast Clean Up - 18th to 20th Sept 09-Please Support

Dadz Toy BFI

West Coast Clean Up - 18th to 20th Sept 09-Please Support

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

WEST COAST MARINE NATIONAL PARK

WE INVITE YOU TO JOIN LIKE-MINED PEOPLE IN A GENERAL CLEAN UP AND GIVE BACK SO LITTLE, WHILE NATURE OFFERS SO MUCH AND PRESERVE IT FOR GENERATIONS TO COME.

We are privileged to be part of the changes on the West Coast and the birth of the new West Coast Marine National Park. For many of us who have been visiting this area over the past decades, it is good to see the positive changes taking place along this unique section of the coastline, with the aim of preserving it for generations to come. Here is your opportunity to give your time and energy to a worthy project, by joining us on the weekend of 18 – 20 September 2009, which coincides with International Coastal Clean-Up Day, Saturday 19 September 2009. This project started in 1986 in USA, with 2800 people cleaning the Texas coast and has grown to where more than half a million people, in over 100 countries, partake annually in this international clean-up day.

Join like-mined people on the West Coast in collecting and removing debris and rubbish from the coast. We will be setting base camp at Kwaas, waypoint coordinates S 30°41’47.3” & E 17°29’13.4”, some 20 km north of Groen River. The area we plan to clean is approximately 35km north of the Spoeg River and 20km south the Groen River. This 55km of coastline forms part of the West Coast Marine National Park and will be our target for this clean-up project. At this stage we want to request that each vehicle bring it’s own black bags for the clean-up day, although we are trying to get proper strong bags sponsored. We will keep you posted in this regard. A further bonus is that we have arranged that all the debris and rubbish we collect on the coast be brought to Kwaas, our camp and central point for the weekend, from where it will be collected and removed from the coastal belt by staff of the new West Coast Marine National Park.

Here is your opportunity to involve the whole family and friends in a worthy project while experiencing the best the West Coast has to offer. Encourage family and friends to join you and become involved. Share the beauty of this unique coastline with them, at no cost. The only thing you would be required to do is to add at least one black bag of rubbish to the pile at Kwaas. We trust we’ll see many of you at Kwaas on Friday 18 September 2009.

****************************************************************************************************************************
IMPORTANT INFORMATION

All information supplied in the agenda is given in good faith by Cederberg 4x4 and compiled from the latest information available at the time. The activity times as indicated on the agenda are subject to change without notice and at the sole discretion of the guide.

Vehicles: Only vehicles with low range capabilities can be accommodated.
Trailers: Off-Road trailers and caravans can be accommodated on this excursion.
Nearest Town: Garies.

RENDEZVOUS

PLACE: KWAAS – APPROXIMATELY 20KM NORTH OF GROEN RIVER.
Waypoint coordinates: S 30°41’47.3” & E 17°29’13.4”
More details to follow upon booking.

DATE: FRIDAY 18 SEPTEMBER 2009.

TIME: Arrive between 15h00 and 19h00 Friday or early Saturday morning. If you intend
arriving Saturday, please indicate this upon booking.

FRIDAY 18 SEPTEMBER 2009

Arrive any time between 15h00 and 19h00 at Kwaas or early Saturday morning.

SATURDAY 19 SEPTEMBER 2009

Everybody can depart at his or her own time, either two vehicles together or as a larger group, heading north as far as the mouth of the Spoeg River, approximately 35km, or south to the mouth of the Groen River, approximately 20km, for the collection and removal of debris and rubbish on the coast. We would like to request that all participating vehicles be back at base camp no later than 18h00. We suggest that a minimum of two vehicles be together at all times. This ensures safety and peace of mind should one vehicle get stuck, the other can assist.

SUNDAY 20 SEPTEMBER 2009

Once again everybody can depart at their own time to collect debris and rubbish along the coast. We will require that everybody be back at Kwaas by no later than 12h00, with the last black bags collected, for photos and the normal Cederberg 4x4 formalities.

FUEL STOPS EN-ROUTE

Ensure your vehicle is refuelled at Bitterfontein. The round trip from Bitterfontein to Kwaas, our base camp and back is approximately 280km. Safely allow another 100km for the beach clean-up. Bear in mind that some of the driving on the coast is in loose sand and will effect your fuel consumption.

ACCOMMODATION

This excursion is offered as a self-sufficient camping weekend, everyone must be equipped accordingly.

CATERING

Everyone must be totally self-sufficient for the duration of this trip.

ABLUTION FACILITIES

As we will be visiting some of the most desolate sections of the West Coast, there are no ablution facilities whatsoever.

GENERAL INFORMATION
• No water available on the West Coast.
• Always advisable to bring your own drinking water.
• Water – We suggest minimum 5L per person/day depending your own consumption.
• No electricity on the West Coast.
• Bring wood for braai and sitvuur. (Minimum 4 x Bags per vehicle)
• Bring black bags for the debris and rubbish to be collected.
• Remember braai grid, braai stand, tongs, eating utensils, table, chairs, tent and poles.
• The days could be warm and the nights cold. Pack clothing accordingly.
• Always advisable to wear comfortable closed boots or shoes.
• Advisable to have a broad rim hat and sun block available.
• It is advisable to always have an umbrella or awning available. No shade on the West Coast.
• Remember to bring your cameras, video cameras, spare batteries and extra film.
• Use tie-down straps to secure all items packed, as loose items can become missiles.
• NB. Bring gloves and old braai tongs to pick up rubbish.
• Please note: No cell phone reception at Kwaas or on the coast.

BOOKING

Should you wish to join us on this International Coastal Clean-up Day on the West Coast, please contact MARINA immediately to book your place as we can only accommodate a limited number of vehicles.
• We can accommodate a maximum of thirty (30) vehicles on this West Coast Clean-up Day.
• Cederberg 4x4 only confirms your booking upon receipt of your completed and signed booking form FAXED TO 021 913 2333. The first thirty completed and signed booking forms will be the people that join us on this special weekend. Book now and avoid disappointment.

PLEASE NOTE: NO PETS ALLOWED

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
COENIE on 083 675 6194 or MARINA on 021 913 4632
FAX: 021 913 2333
E-MAIL: info@cederberg4x4.co.za

Visit our website http://www.cederberg4x4.co.za
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: WesKos Clean Up - 18th to 20th Sept 09-Please Support

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Give a little to get a lot back :wink:

Wouldn't it be Cool to have a Hilux4x4Club Member (or two, three......) representing the Hilux Manne amongst good folk from the other Regional 4x4 Clubs. :?:

30 vehicle places are available, contact Coenie direct (see post above).

R :wink:
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: West Coast Clean Up - 18th to 20th Sept 09-Please Support

Post by Niel »

Would love to go but a bit short notice. I would like to hear comments from the members to do a similar exercise closer to CT. Maybe we can do it as a club event :?: I am planning to do a long weekend trip starting at the same place - think it is called West Coast Eco route.....
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

Would have loved to have gone, but that weekend it's Eid.
AS anglers we always find plastic bags messing up our line, and would love to have been part of this cleanup. It's directly to our own benefit as well.
Pity it was not the next weekend. Then I'm sure The Salmon Sliders (name of my fishing crew) would have been there.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Ditto, very short notice but I would love to go.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Animul
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Previously V8 supercharged Monster truck, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Now looking for a vehicle to rejoin the community

Post by Animul »

I have property in St Helena Bay and would have loved to join if I wasn't 1500km away.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Gents, what do you say that we arrange a cleanup of our own closer to home. Pieter, I am thinking of a place i.e. Trekoskraal (any area for that matter) and we do a cleanup?

What do all of the WC chaps think of the idea :?:
Animul
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Previously V8 supercharged Monster truck, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Now looking for a vehicle to rejoin the community

Post by Animul »

Ditto for Gauteng??? :?:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Niel wrote:Gents, what do you say that we arrange a cleanup of our own closer to home. Pieter, I am thinking of a place i.e. Trekoskraal (any area for that matter) and we do a cleanup?

What do all of the WC chaps think of the idea :?:
Niel I think this is an excellent idea, the first section as you enter, looks terrible with those delapidated shade net dwellings... it's ugly... maybe we can commit to cleaning up a section on a Saturday and dumping that stuff??

B :thumbup:
Niel

Post by Niel »

That is the idea ....so you are in ?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Set a date Niel and I'll put it through the SWAMBO diary clash test... if it passes management approval I'll be there(with fam)... I propose a little camping at Linkiesklip(Langebaan) on the saturday night, or we could always camp on Pieter's lawn?? Make a weekend of it!

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Niel, I have that idea in my head as well. I am just not sure what the legalities are at the moment. The guy wants to develop the place and the "squatters" are gone but left their rubbish there. I guess the guy wont mind if somebody cleans up his farm. Two weekends back we went there one Sunday afternoon for tea and we brought back half a bakkie load of empty bear bottles and cr@p FROM ONE CAMPING SITE!!

The owner is a retired judge KA Wiehahn, the same guy who was in the news two weeks ago about his land just under table mountain which he also wants to develop and now there are some graves or something on it.

1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

I'm sure the crew will be there.
We always wanted to fish Trekos.
That second pic looks perfect galjoen water.
Just not on the 3rd October. Portnet Saldanha competition

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Dalkill, maybe you can give some fishing lesson, I got a rod and reel... but when I fish there never seems to be fish in the sea... :wth:

A Hilux 4x4 Fishing Day... could be a great event... hosted by Cape fishing guru Dalkill!

dalkill

Post by dalkill »

guru :wth:
not really.

but it does sound like a plan. :thumbup:
some fresh galjoen or hottie on the barbie.
I believe the hotties grow quite big up there

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Niel

Post by Niel »

Pieter, I was hoping that you could speak to the power to be on that side ?

Some of the dwellings are below the high tide markers and thus it is government land if I am not mistaken.

If I can suggest that we do it the first week end 20 - 22 November it would be cool. Better weather for camping and the crayfish season is then open as well. Also gives us more time to organize.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I did email a couple of people to see if I can find Mr Wiehahn's details. I also emailed the people from the west coast biosphere and a friend said he will give me the details of the lady from parksboard in town who is in charge of cleaning the beaches.

When we were there two weeks ago I thought it would be a nice project but then I also thought that one must find out about the structures, etc. Because if I go clean it up I would like if we can clean it all. But I do not want somebody to come and say we stole his poles, garbage and nets.

I know at the end of last year dept omgewingsake gave all the dwellers a warning which said they have to remove their shacks by Jan 2009 otherwise government will remove it for them and send them the bill (leka hey, with a squatter camp government might remove it but give the taxpayer the bill)

Anyway, the guys left and some removed their structures and cleaned their plots. Other just left everything. Needless to say that government nether removed the structures as promised.

So we will have to find out everything about this before we can just sommer go in and clean because it is on private land (most of it). Best will be if we can get a letter from the owner or government which gives us permission to clean the place and remove all the junk.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Thanks Pieter. We will need a number of hands if we want to clean the place up as you indicated. It will be nice to see the place back to its old glory ..... :thumbup:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Niel that is only my vision. Obviously one will adapt what we will be able to do to the number of hands available.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I got the permission of the land owner.
Now we have to finilize a date.
Beste meneer Pretorius
Ek verwys na u e-pos van vandag se datum. Ek gee hiermee goedkeuring vir die skoonmaak van Trekoskraal. Die volgende geld -
1. Geen voertuie moet in die duin area inbeweeg nie
2. Verwittig my asseblief van die dag of dae wat julle op die kusgebied sal wees
Ek wens julle 'n aangename tyd toe en dankie vir jul voorstel.
Vriendelike groete
KASPER WIEHAHN
Niel

Post by Niel »

Hi Pieter, nice man. :thumbup: Nou kan ons aan die werk spring. Hoe klink die naweek van die 13 - 15 Nove 09 vir julle :thumbup: Ons kan dan sommer n krefie ook uithaal die sondag :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

So iets? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

:shock:

nooit, not for me. I'm to vrek bang for the tax man. even though the theory goes that you safer in bamboo,
when diving with goggles on, I get very claustrophobic.

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Don't worry Shaakir your job will be to catch some fish for the fire for the evening.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Kaspaas wrote:So iets?
Hay jou banggat ek moet se bosvarkie was die enigste een wat mans genoeg was om saam te duik. :twisted:Nou is dit jou beurt :lol: :lol:

pietpetoors wrote:catch some fish for the fire for the evening
Pieter, beteken dit ons kamp daar die saterdag aand?
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Niel wrote:Nou is dit jou beurt :lol: :lol:
Die enigste duik-aktiwiteite waarmee ek myself besig hou kan ek nie hier op die forum noem nie. Anyway, enige lewende wese wat my in 'n wet-suitjie sien sal onmiddellik dood neerslaan... en die krewe sal pak vir Perth... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

drol :shock:
Thys de Jager

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Niel ja, die keer kamp ons sommer daar. Ons het mos nou amptelik toestemming om daar te mag wees.

The guys who have not been there yet, remember there are no facilities. You have to take your own water, etc.
Piesang
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

RustyRod wrote:Dalkill, maybe you can give some fishing lesson, I got a rod and reel... but when I fish there never seems to be fish in the sea... :wth:

A Hilux 4x4 Fishing Day... could be a great event... hosted by Cape fishing guru Dalkill!

Ja ek het ook 'n stok wat al 10jaar net teen die dak hang en nog net een vis gesien het. Dit kan nogal lekker wees :thumbup: :thumbup:

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
Piesang
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Niel wrote:Hi Pieter, nice man. :thumbup: Nou kan ons aan die werk spring. Hoe klink die naweek van die 13 - 15 Nove 09 vir julle :thumbup: Ons kan dan sommer n krefie ook uithaal die sondag :thumbup:
Die naweek het ek die WOF roete te Grabouw.

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Kaspaas wrote:So iets? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Nee man... you got it wrong this is the West Coast Clean Up thread... not the Hermanus Whale Festival...

:lol:
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

hold on... this is trekos we talking about.
I'm confusing it here with tietiesbaai.

where about is trekos?

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

You can see Tietiesbaai from Trekos. As you go out Vredenburg on your way to Paternoster you turn left at the first gravel road and then just carry straight on, the road ends in Trekoskraal. I know a spot there where there are lots of Hotnos Fish, but we caught it from a little boat, don't know if you can do it from the side.
Niel

Post by Niel »

ja, ek het al n hele paar in die kreef nette gehad (van die kant af) miskien kan ons n bootjie reel vir daai naweek en n paar kreef nette.

Ek het 2 nette
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Guys, I'm totally cool with ruffing it, but SWAMBO is going to ask... where's the toilets? Would it not be a better idea to stay at a campsite with SWAMBO compliant facilities... something like LinkiesKlip or closer... so it can be a family event?

Please don't flame me all at once... take turns...

B
Niel

Post by Niel »

RustyRod wrote:Guys, I'm totally cool with ruffing it, but SWAMBO is going to ask... where's the toilets?
Are you sure britney :twisted:

We can either camp at Trekos(no ablutions) or Tietiesbaai or Saldanha or Veldrif but I prefer Trekos :thumbup:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

There are camping sites at Leentjiesklip, Saldanha and Tietiesbaai which are all not more than 30Km from the spot. People who wanna camp there can feel free to do so and join us during the day.
I have to go there again either this afternoon or tomorrow. I will have a look at the shacks that was not removed if there are perhaps long drops that are still standing. I think most people are OK with bathing in the sea or taking a shower out of a bag, but the loo might be most people's concern.

Another point of discussion is the date:
Seems like the date is the same date as Piesang's charity drive.
Pieter has been planning his event for many moons now. Can we look at another date?
When does the crayfish season open?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Niel wrote:
RustyRod wrote:Guys, I'm totally cool with ruffing it, but SWAMBO is going to ask... where's the toilets?
Are you sure britney :twisted:

We can either camp at Trekos(no ablutions) or Tietiesbaai or Saldanha or Veldrif but I prefer Trekos :thumbup:

How about getting a communal porter potty? But that bring with it a whole other debate... who's going to clean it... :sick:

Anyway don't think Thys can squat that low! :twisted:

Thanks Pieter, can you recommend one of these campsites? Is nothing in Vredenburg? Only B&B's?

B
Niel

Post by Niel »

pietpetoors wrote:When does the crayfish season open?
15 November

The planned end of the year GTG is provisionally scheduled for the next week end if memory serves me correct.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

So what is happening on the weekend of the 7th?
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

This is what is available.
Longdrop complete with real Loo Ring, some bees and a curtain.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Rotate it 90° and you can enjoy the view while you contemplate and meditate... :wink:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel

Post by Niel »

Gents, I am very committed to this project. But the weekend of the 7th Nov is out - work function The weekend of 28 Nov is the hilux club/forum year end function (tentatively -pending venue availability) But for the rest I am ok.We can even split this project into more than one weekend as I personally don't think we will finish in 1 weekend.

What say the rest?
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Don't you guys have any weekends open in October?
I have spoken to Mr Wiehahn yesterday.
He said that all the structures above the high water mark are on his property and all structures are there illegally. So if we want to remove it we can and he also sent me a letter confirming this. All structures under the high water mark is on government property and we must contact nature conservation regarding that.

Niel, when I was there three days ago I again realized how much rubbish there are. I think you are right if you say it will take us more than one weekend.

Lets at least start with the first weekend and see how it goes.

As soon as we decided on a date I would also try and see if I can persuade a recycle people in Vredenburg to park their truck there for the weekend so that we can load everything on their truck and then send it for recycling.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Pieter, I am there this weekend but I am not sure I will get around to going to Trekos but I will call you if I can. Let’s at least get a few black bags and do a small collection.

Even if there is just 2 or 3 of us at a time we will make a difference.

Do you know of someone that will borrow us a trailer?
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

This weekend like in today and tomorrow?
Why dont we go there tomorrow morning for morning tea? (O ja jy sal roes)
So that you can get an idea.

I am sure we can get a trailer or truck organized.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Sorry Pieter ek bedoel eintlik die naweek 2 tot 4 Oct.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Sjoe, dis moeilik om 'n geskikte naweek te kry, die 3de ry ons mos by Koeberg op daardie NSRI dag, ek het al weer vergeet daarvan.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Dis so Pieter, die Krismis decorations is op in die winkels, so die "Silly Season" het begin en almal is vol geboek vir die volgende 3 maande.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I started a new topic at viewtopic.php?f=57&t=8615 because we actually hi-jacked somebody else's topic here.

Return to “Western Cape”