Read this before embarking on a Trip or Trail
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Pre-Trail Drivers Briefing.

Post by Family_Dog »

Mr_B wrote:
STAMPIE wrote:Jaco wrote "Convoy rule - If you can't see the guy behind you stop."

This is certainly the most logic of all convoy rules, but funny enough, the most difficult rule to keep.
On more than 100 trips I undertook, the people still couldn't master this rule.
There's an exemption to almost every rule, on Tierkloof it is not always possible to see the vehicle behind you at all times. Just by tranversing some obstacles we lost visual contact. In those circumstances radio contact becomes very important, and the guys did very well in that respect!

I need to invest in a VHF radio soon! Thanks Roy for the loan of the handheld!
Better late than never, eh Mr B!! ;)

(I told you that long ago, when you were here in my neck of the woods...)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Pre-Trail Drivers Briefing.

Post by pietpetoors »

not always possible to see the vehicle behind you at all times.
On many trails it is not always possible to see the vehicle behind you. But if you do loose sight of the vehicle behind you, keep it in mind and at the next safe place to stop and wait a while and see if they are still coming.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Driving Safety Standards.

Post by ThysdJ »

I canged the heading of this thread to Driving Safety Standards, as it is more appropriate.

I also added the following paragraph.
14 Passengers/Seatbelts
No passengers on the back of any bakkie while negotiating an obstacle, whether the bakkie has a canopy or not. One seatbelt, one passenger. Drivers and passengers are to wear seat belts at all times, except when doing water crossings. Driving thru a puddle is not a water crossing.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
andrevt
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

eric what help when in convoy, is that all travel at a certian gps speed,and set the speedcontrol accordingly
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Andre, the only speed control I have in any of my vehicles is my right foot... ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Family_Dog wrote:Andre, the only speed control I have in any of my vehicles is my right foot... ;)

-F_D
Offtopic

Driving in convoy with fog / headlights ON certainly helps others ID exactly where trailing vehicles are, especially with my old fashioned eye's and SFA's..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
HennieJ2
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Hilux D/C D4D 4x4, Hilux KZ-TE D/c 4x4

Post by HennieJ2 »

Family_Dog wrote:Andre, the only speed control I have in any of my vehicles is my right foot... ;)

-F_D
Hope it's not on a go-slow :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Feet I mean :D: :D:

HJ
Hilux D/C D4D 4x4 ; Hilux 2700i S/C 4x4
HennieJ2
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Hilux D/C D4D 4x4, Hilux KZ-TE D/c 4x4

Post by HennieJ2 »

Schucks - just remembered - u only have ONE right foot - d@mn Soutie taal..... :-) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HJ
Hilux D/C D4D 4x4 ; Hilux 2700i S/C 4x4
crazyG
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: SFA Hilux

Post by crazyG »

Greetings fellow Luxers, I had a horrible experience on a Sunday play a few years ago, we were doing a few humps and bumps in the felt and on one hump my angle was way off and my SFA took a slow motion rollover. Needless to say my love was badly damaged, My one son almost fell out the rear window when that broke and my wife had a broken hand, I was cut buy the windscreen braking on impact. I don't use alcohol at all so stupidity was the main cause, after intensive body repair, I fitted four point seatbelts, and bucket seats front and back, a cab support beam between the "B" pillars for additional support was also fitted, now the rules are simple windows halfway down strapped in and hold on. I am urging people to use seatbelts front and rear when playing cause accidents happen. And please stay off the 4x4 tracks if you had alcohol.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Thys this is one that I have for fellow travellers, which I think is applicable for who takes responsibility for any damage which may be caused to any vehicle.

16) If I need assistance over an obstacle, I will show you the line that I need you to guide me over. I will expect the same from you. If you believe that I am choosing the wrong line, then tell me, so that I can relook at my decision, before attempting the obstacle. If I insist on my line, then you must guide me along my chosen line, not the line that you choose for me. If I have damage to my vehicle, it must be because I made the wrong decision, NOT BECAUSE YOU MADE THE WRONG DECISION FOR ME. This applies to me as well. If you want me to assist you with a line to take, then I will show you the line that I think that you should take & get you to follow this line to the best of my abilities. It will not be to my advantage if your vehicle should get damaged or rolls down an embankment, as it would be my responsibility to assist with recovering you.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Haboob wrote:Thys this is one that I have for fellow travellers, which I think is applicable for who takes responsibility for any damage which may be caused to any vehicle.

16) If I need assistance over an obstacle, I will show you the line that I need you to guide me over. I will expect the same from you. If you believe that I am choosing the wrong line, then tell me, so that I can relook at my decision, before attempting the obstacle. If I insist on my line, then you must guide me along my chosen line, not the line that you choose for me. If I have damage to my vehicle, it must be because I made the wrong decision, NOT BECAUSE YOU MADE THE WRONG DECISION FOR ME. This applies to me as well. If you want me to assist you with a line to take, then I will show you the line that I think that you should take & get you to follow this line to the best of my abilities. It will not be to my advantage if your vehicle should get damaged or rolls down an embankment, as it would be my responsibility to assist with recovering you.
Very valid point. What I usually do is I get the driver and the guide outside on the obstacle looking at the terrain and assessing the obstacle together, and making those decisions together. This promotes team work, and it prevents arguments afterwards. Remember accidents do happen,and even though you insist on driving "your line" the guide is seeing things you as a driver cannot see. So unless it is a competition where points and prize money is involved, I would say get the whole team to work together, and trust each other.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Thys I have some video clips that I should give to you ....

Few years back we are doing the Orange River 4x4 route. This one short section is very tricky, and one needs to THINK about the line !

I drove out first - looking ahead, and choosing a line and out. Then ran back to video the rest.

One couple, WELL traveled, the driver leans forward and scouts the terrain as he idles forward (much like I did). He gets out without one single "knock".

Next car the passanger gets out and swings his arms left and right showing the correct line .... think that driver knocked every second rock !!

Some others the navigator actually knew the driver and vehicle and guided his vehicle out without one single knock.

TRUST and understanding between the driver and navigator is absolutely CRUCIAL.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

A good understanding and trust between driver and guide is imperative Chris. The Blondie knows her stuff, and when she says turn hard left, I know I must do so and not worry about the car falling over, she's in control.. She knows my driving style, and she knows the vehicle, so I trust her judgement 110%.. Is she gets out and start walking, I get out and start walking... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Thys de Jager

Return to “Pre-Trail Driver's briefing”