Khaudum Nasionale Park(Nam) Hilux event

Here you can post information of charities and charities in need or any good ideas you have on helping charities.
Popmar
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Albertskroon Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hi Lux

Re: Khaudum Nasionale Park(Nam) Hilux event

Post by Popmar »

Is there any restriction in the park rules on the amount of vehicles that is allowed to go simultaneously?
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Please make a list of all your questions, so that I can phone the park and ask and answer you.

1.Is there any restriction in the park rules on the amount of vehicles that are allowed to go simultaneously?

Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Popmar wrote:Is there any restriction in the park rules on the amount of vehicles that is aloud to go simaltaneously?
Hi Martin, daar is geen 'boomed' hekke of so iets daar nie. Net twee kamp area's Khaudum in die noorde (wat limited mense kan huisves) en dan so 60km suid Sekereti kamp met 4/5 kamp plekke en een groot oop area.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi-Hilux wrote:Please make a list of all your questions, so that I can phone the park and ask and answer you.

1.Is there any restriction in the park rules on the amount of vehicles that is aloud to go simaltaneously?
2. Wat is hulle behoeftes?
3. Waarmee kan ons help as 'n werkspan?
Popmar
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Albertskroon Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hi Lux

Post by Popmar »

When looking for sponsors - what about Toyota themselves? We are a club and as far as I know - they sponsor the Cruiser club and the Toyota owners club from time to time where the purpose of the project is worthwhile according to them. I belief they have sponsored the owners club where they help with the fences at Pilansberg.
We will have to put a businessplan together before we make contact with them.
The person to contact is Ferdi de Vos and his e-mail address is fdevos@tsb.co.za as far as I know.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The fact that the event falls outside the borders of SA may well put Toyota SA off.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

vald wrote:
Witblits wrote:I have read somewhere that a Namibian Safari company is taking over the camping infrastructure in Khaudum in 2012, apparently the same group does some sterling work in other reserves.
Googled the park to see if I could find anything, and found this link

http://www.travel-namibia.com/2011/05/k ... onal-park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and this

http://www.tourbrief.com/cms/index.php? ... ew&id=3869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't know if this earlier post was missed, or was not important, but is it worth looking into whether there is any truth to development planned by a private lodge at the park?
Jingo73
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Zebra (Fortuner)

Post by Jingo73 »

We're on holiday from 14 July at Kgalagadi, so if you can organize it for the week before, I can take a nice break from hardwork on my way back home. :beach: :beach: :beach:
All things that are, are with more spirit chased, than enjoyed.
William Shakespeare
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Until we have not answered these fundamentals there is no way that any potential supporter or sponsor will even entertain a discussion with us.

1. How many vehicles/teams will go?
2. What will be do at Khaudum?
3. What is the requirement at Khaudum?
4. What is required from the Sponsor?
5. What will they gain out of spending money from their corporate social responsibility contribution?
6. Why as South African company sponsor a cross border event into an obscure hardly visited destination?
7. Does Khaudum require our assistance?
8. Is our assistance even wanted? :eh:

It might sound lightly negative, but that is the realism when talking exposure as well as sponsorship. Especially when involving large corporates. It can under no circumstances look as if the members of the Club is using the Club to be a vehicle to find money to sponsor a holiday. And dealing with a large corporate you always stand the chance of your whole event being hi-jacked and taken over as a publicity event for them.

Know what you don't know.
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Traveler wrote:Until we have not answered these fundamentals there is no way that any potential supporter or sponsor will even entertain a discussion with us.

1. How many vehicles/teams will go?
2. What will be do at Khaudum?
3. What is the requirement at Khaudum?
4. What is required from the Sponsor?
5. What will they gain out of spending money from their corporate social responsibility contribution?
6. Why as South African company sponsor a cross border event into an obscure hardly visited destination?
7. Does Khaudum require our assistance?
8. Is our assistance even wanted? :eh:

It might sound lightly negative, but that is the realism when talking exposure as well as sponsorship. Especially when involving large corporates. It can under no circumstances look as if the members of the Club is using the Club to be a vehicle to find money to sponsor a holiday. And dealing with a large corporate you always stand the chance of your whole event being hi-jacked and taken over as a publicity event for them.
En dit wil ons nie he nie want die ding het begin as 'n HILUX4X4 CLUB projek
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

vald wrote:
vald wrote:
Witblits wrote:I have read somewhere that a Namibian Safari company is taking over the camping infrastructure in Khaudum in 2012, apparently the same group does some sterling work in other reserves.

http://www.travel-namibia.com/2011/05/k ... onal-park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and this

http://www.tourbrief.com/cms/index.php? ... ew&id=3869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't know if this earlier post was missed, or was not important, but is it worth looking into whether there is any truth to development planned by a private lodge at the park?
Noted tx Vald, for now this is where Trevor can perhaps assist in finding the correct contact. However we must be aware that he is more than 500km away from Khaudum, not that distance ever worries him :wink2:
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Racing snake »

Guys, please put my name on the list. Sounds like a worthy cause and I'd like to be involved, if I can.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Racing snake wrote:Guys, please put my name on the list. Sounds like a worthy cause and I'd like to be involved, if I can.
Great Brian :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Niel wrote:so the following individuals indicated that they will be interrested:
1. Traveler ,
2. HennieJ2 ,
3. Hi-Hilux,
4. george
5. Stubs
6. vald - any dates for me....
7. ROOFER
8. OOOOMS - Jun/Jul SA school holiday
9. Niel - Jun/Jul SA school holiday period not sure as we have a 3 week family holiday already pre planned
10. Hilux01 - later than Jun/July
11. Sidekick
12. MR B - Jun/Jul
13. Truckin - Jun Jul
14. Quintin
15. Hilux01 - Henk
16. Jingo73 - Christoffel - early July
17. Racing Snake - Brian

Let’s suggest preferred dates and also an alternative date and see where that takes us - lets close the dates thing by the end of next week and then we have the peg in the ground.
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

OOOOMS wrote:
vald wrote:
vald wrote:

Noted tx Vald, for now this is where Trevor can perhaps assist in finding the correct contact. However we must be aware that he is more than 500km away from Khaudum, not that distance ever worries him :wink2:
Mark wie is DISTANCE?? Sy klink lekker!!!
Mark dis so 360km vir my...
Liaan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Lichtenburg
Vehicle: 99 2.7 DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: AC1

Post by Liaan »

AS ons gaan om te werk - ek is in!

As ons gaan om vakansie te hou - ek is verseker in!
Almal kry die voorreg om onnosel te wees, net jammer party maak misbruik daarvan

99 2.7 Raider 4x4 D/c
OME and some more...

Gebore in die BLOU BUL hoofstad
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Liaan wrote:AS ons gaan om te werk - ek is in!

As ons gaan om vakansie te hou - ek is verseker in!
Liaan, voor dit jy op vakansie gaan, roer bietjie daai Lichtenburgers hier om 'n bietjie aksie te skep! ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SideKick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Club VHF Licence: X108

Post by SideKick »

Niel wrote:
SideKick wrote:
Niel wrote:Gents, next year will be a bumper year with a 3 week Nam trip in June /Jul, the Mana Pools game count(Sept) and the Khaudum event. I know I will have to sit one out at least. Lets get the dates going. Mark I think our first priority should be the animals and then the facilities = but that is just me.
Hi Guys

A few questions. How many club evens are planned so far for next year? Isn't the 3 week Nam trip and the Khaudum event the same thing? And what is the Mana Pools game count?

Second question. I've never gone on an out of country trip (or any 4x4 trip for that matter). How much $$$ am I looking at for the Khaudum event? I just spent a butt load getting my Hilux tip top condition and funds will be scarce for a while . . .

Please let me know. Thanks!!!
These are the trips I have planned or are involved with. With the aim of going myself.

Jy is baie braaf om Mana Pools toe te gaan! Daar is noudie dag n ou daar deur n leeu geëet toe hy geshower het :shock2:
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
HennieJ2
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Hilux D/C D4D 4x4, Hilux KZ-TE D/c 4x4

Post by HennieJ2 »

SideKick wrote: Jy is baie braaf om Mana Pools toe te gaan! Daar is noudie dag n ou daar deur n leeu geëet toe hy geshower het :shock2:
Dis waar die uitdrukking "Pasop, dis leeu wereld hier!" vandaan kom. Een van die eerste dinge wat die Botswana trip ons geleer is - moet nooit alleen rond loop nie.

Anyway, ons is nou van die punt af - wanneer peg ons die datums vas, of gaan ons eers uitvind of hulle wel ons hulp nodig het?

HJ
Hilux D/C D4D 4x4 ; Hilux 2700i S/C 4x4
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

HennieJ2 wrote:
SideKick wrote: Jy is baie braaf om Mana Pools toe te gaan! Daar is noudie dag n ou daar deur n leeu geëet toe hy geshower het :shock2:
Dis waar die uitdrukking "Pasop, dis leeu wereld hier!" vandaan kom. Een van die eerste dinge wat die Botswana trip ons geleer is - moet nooit alleen rond loop nie.

Anyway, ons is nou van die punt af - wanneer peg ons die datums vas, of gaan ons eers uitvind of hulle wel ons hulp nodig het?

HJ
Bietjie van alby Hennie :thumbup:
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Lets close the suggestions for dates by 12:00 tomorrow
Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Koringberg
Vehicle: Hilux D4-D S/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X50

Post by Witblits »

Further to my post on the new management for Khaudum accomodation - see this link for more information: http://www.travel-namibia.com/2011/05/k ... onal-park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In an undated (probably around April 2011) Namibia Country Lodges newsletter they say: "Khaudum National park will soon be undergoing a transformation in the form of two new luxury camps. Sekereti Camp in the south and Khaudum Camp in the north both will have eight en-suite tented units on wooden decks - (below example). The southern and northern campsites within the Khaudum National Park are being renovated to cater for guests who prefer camping while exploring the Park.".
ImageImageImage
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

Extract from the article:-

Accommodation
Camping is only allowed at the two designated camp sites (closed until further notice and thus no overnight in the park is allowed!) – newly privatised camps to be opened in 2012 (run by Namibia Country Lodges) – more information on the upgrading can be found here under “Planning Information > Developments”.

I imagine we may need to confirm whether this is actually happening or a non-event...
Niel

Post by Niel »

Trevor, I think we need to speak to the park management to get the detail and if our intended help is required.
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Will do so Neil.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Thanks Trevor
Dorslandtrekker
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Isuzu 280 D/C 4x4 Warn winch, Snorkel, Camel suspension, Duel Battery, AHA Camper, Solar Panel, VHF/29 Mhz Radio, Maluti Rims, Hankook 30x9.5x15, Ekstra brandstof 50 Liter, Moeilikheid ..... Niks.
Club VHF Licence: X 70

Post by Dorslandtrekker »

Tydens vorige besoeke aan die park het ons gevind dat die twee kampe drastiese aandag nodig het. Die grootste probleem egter, was dat die pompe wat die watergate van water moet voorsien, of nie diesel het nie, of dat dit weens swak diens glad nie bruikbaar is nie. Olifante het kniediep in die modder gestaan en wag dat die pompe water moet pomp. Koedoes en ander wild het rondom die watergate saam gedrom en wag vir water wat nie kom nie. Ons het by die pompe wat wel bruikbaar was, van ons eie diesel voorsien en water gepomp. Dit was tragies om die diere se reaksie te sien as die water begin loop.

My gevoel is dat dat as daar enige iets gedoen moet word die voorsiening van water aan die diere voorkeur moet geniet. Toilet deure is nie belangrik in die geval nie. As daar iemand is wat solar panele en pompe kan bekom sal die 'n baie groter inslag vind in die Park. Brandstof vir die pompe is duur en die personeel het nie altyd vervoer om die pompe te diens nie. So manne en meisies, laat ons liewer ons sjielings in 'n pot gooi en die diere van water voorsien!
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Frik ek stem heeltemaal saam, maar ek glo ons moet eers seker maak dat ons, in die eerste plek toegang kan kry in (tot,)( seker vrot Afrikaans) die park, en ook dat die park nie deur n privaat maatskapy beheer word nie, dan glo ek is dit hulle verantwoorklikheid om te sorg dat die diere genoeg water kry.
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Bietjie agtergrond; Die Park word bestuur deur Natuurbewaring. Ongelukkig is die plaaslike bestuurder die die probleem van wat ek kan uitvind. Fondse is definetief nie die probleem nie, maar dit kom dalk net nie uit vir wat dit bestem was nie. Voorheen kon hulle nie by die paaslike vulstasie in Tsumkwe diesel kry nie, maar dit is nou uitgesorteer van wat ek kan verstaan. Ek sal uitvind by my kontakte of Natuurbewaring enigsins hulp sal aanvaar, offisieel. Met geld ondeur die tafel, ja. Ek weet op ander plekke in die suide het die myne maar die funksie soort van aanvaar om water te voorsien, want dit word net nie gedoen nie.

Daar is ook belangstelling uit ander oorde om te help, en plaaslike mense in Tsumwe sal seker ook wil betrokke wees. Ek gaan so oor n week of 2 daar wees en sal bietjie kyk wat is die opsies plaaslik.

N eenmalige 'skenking' het seker baie minder logistiek nodig , maar om dit te monitor en dan te reel vir wat ook nodig is het dalk bietjie meer logistiek nodig.

My opinie is iemand moet gereeld net monitor wat die bokwagters doen en dan rapporteer aan iemand wat kan gatskop. Dalk tussen al die belanstellings gereeld n trip doen en rapporteer. ;-). Ek het laas dit onder die aandag van oud Natuurbewaarder gebring wat nog redelik kontak hoër op het en hy het so n bietje geroer daar bo, wat gehelp het.

Maar julle is welkom om te kyk wat kry julle reg. Ek het net nie op die staduim baie tyd om te veel betrokke te wees nie.

PS Die kampe gee hulle onder konsesesies uit, of dit word deur n die Staats Maatmaatskapy, Wild Life Resorts bestuur.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Johan Kriel »

Die antwoord wat ek gekry het
JOHAN EK IS IN WALVIS EK DINK ONS MOET MET DIE MINISTER DIREK SKAKEL DAN SAL DIE PS AANDAG GEE ANDERS IS DAAR TE VEEL REDTAPE
Ek sal weer opvolg. Wie stel belang om hierby betrokke te wees?
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

To Prepare you for your proposed trip, here are a few photos of Khaudum.

BTW: DON'T RELY ON FUEL AT TSUMKWE: The one and only fuel station is owned/run/managed by the lodge. Their fuel supplies are erratic and when we went through they rationed us to 20L. For that 20L we had to fight as we were originally told that there was no fuel but after leaving the petrol station and driving down the road, we hid and spyed on them. Once they started filling one of the loacl vehicles we hauled back into the petrol station and demanded fuel..... Hence the mission to get fuel. Rather make sure you have enough not to rely on the fuel station at Tsumkwe.

Please allow me to post the pictures before replying becaues I'm going to do them one at a time , this will make the picture viewing much easier.
152 edited.jpg
Khaudum Entrance
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Sikaretti Office
Sikaretti Office
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Sikerreti Camp - Washing Up Area - There is no water here and as you can see by the condition, it is in much need of repairs.
Sikerreti Camp - Washing Up Area - There is no water here and as you can see by the condition, it is in much need of repairs.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

The Shower, There is no water here, actually there was a bit of moisture but the bees pulled rank rendering the shower useless to all but a honey badger. The Hyena cleaned the toilet in the middle of the night making it spotless for the next morning. Still no flushing water - thank goodness for hyena.
The Shower, There is no water here, actually there was a bit of moisture but the bees pulled rank rendering the shower useless to all but a honey badger. The Hyena cleaned the toilet in the middle of the night making it spotless for the next morning. Still no flushing water - thank goodness for hyena.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Our Camp at Sikeretti - There was no reason to hang arround at this camp site, the animals were..... oh ya, there were none except fo the toilet cleaning Hyena. There is no view. Basically no reason for us to stay at that camp longer then one night.
Our Camp at Sikeretti - There was no reason to hang arround at this camp site, the animals were..... oh ya, there were none except fo the toilet cleaning Hyena. There is no view. Basically no reason for us to stay at that camp longer then one night.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

A view of the wash up area and ablutions, nothing good about either. The lack of water rendering them useless and the lack of maintenance rendering them unfit for use.
A view of the wash up area and ablutions, nothing good about either. The lack of water rendering them useless and the lack of maintenance rendering them unfit for use.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Bush Hide - There are a number of these hides located around the park. The lack of water in the water hole made the hide a tad boring. I imagine if there was water avaliable, there would be good reason to stick around at some of these hides a bit longer.
Bush Hide - There are a number of these hides located around the park. The lack of water in the water hole made the hide a tad boring. I imagine if there was water avaliable, there would be good reason to stick around at some of these hides a bit longer.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

The sandy roads were fun to drive on for a while. The bush had also recenty been burnt and that resulted in there being no/very few animals to be found in the recently burnt areas. Futher North, the fire was still burning.
The sandy roads were fun to drive on for a while. The bush had also recenty been burnt and that resulted in there being no/very few animals to be found in the recently burnt areas. Futher North, the fire was still burning.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

We did find water in one water hole, we found animals too. But possibly due to the recent fire they were very shy and scampered off the second the spotted us. We absoloutly had to refresh ourselves in the water hole. The temprature was about 40 degrees and very dry. This was one of the few solar pumps was cane accross that were actually working.
We did find water in one water hole, we found animals too. But possibly due to the recent fire they were very shy and scampered off the second the spotted us. We absoloutly had to refresh ourselves in the water hole. The temprature was about 40 degrees and very dry. This was one of the few solar pumps was cane accross that were actually working.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Camp Site at Khaudum - This was a lot better then Sikeretti. There was running water and the loos and showers worked. The general positioning of the camp site is on top of a hill affording one a beautiful view of the "Khaudum river bed" but most of all the sunset.
Camp Site at Khaudum - This was a lot better then Sikeretti. There was running water and the loos and showers worked. The general positioning of the camp site is on top of a hill affording one a beautiful view of the "Khaudum river bed" but most of all the sunset.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Another view of the camp site. There are some sort of old concrete slabs at the campsites. I don't know what used to be ther but whatever it was is no longer there.
Another view of the camp site. There are some sort of old concrete slabs at the campsites. I don't know what used to be ther but whatever it was is no longer there.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

The reason why we all want to go to places like Khaudum - scenes like this make it all the more worthwhile.
The reason why we all want to go to places like Khaudum - scenes like this make it all the more worthwhile.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

The road from Khaudum to the tar main road is only about 55Km, it took us 2.5 Hours of "fast" driving. One gets into the tracks and this causes the vehicle to follow these tracks, bouncing from sided to side. This is obviously not that comfortable.
The road from Khaudum to the tar main road is only about 55Km, it took us 2.5 Hours of "fast" driving. One gets into the tracks and this causes the vehicle to follow these tracks, bouncing from sided to side. This is obviously not that comfortable.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Trying to drive out of the tracks was much smoother but in order not to slip back into the tracks one thad to have lightening fast reflexes and 2.5 hours of stamina. Eventually you just let the vehicle go it's own way.
Trying to drive out of the tracks was much smoother but in order not to slip back into the tracks one thad to have lightening fast reflexes and 2.5 hours of stamina. Eventually you just let the vehicle go it's own way.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

We finally caught up to the fire that had been burning through the park for weeks. It wasn't very bug therefor not any real danger to the bigger wildlife. Still it really eliminated any prospect of seeing an abundance of game. We saw Roan antelope - which was a surprise for them and us. Other then that the usual suspects were always ther. Elephant are very skittish and must be taken seriousy. We saw a lot of birds for the twitchers out there.
We finally caught up to the fire that had been burning through the park for weeks. It wasn't very bug therefor not any real danger to the bigger wildlife. Still it really eliminated any prospect of seeing an abundance of game. We saw Roan antelope - which was a surprise for them and us. Other then that the usual suspects were always ther. Elephant are very skittish and must be taken seriousy. We saw a lot of birds for the twitchers out there.
226 edited.jpg (112.38 KiB) Viewed 19649 times
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Our Exit from Khaudum. This picture is at the main road so really behind the photographer there is a main tar road. This 55Km takes at least 2 hours to complete. We went thein in September and so it was very dry. Our 20L water was ample for our 2 days in the park. There was no real reason to stay in the park longer. If I had to do it again I would avoid Sikeretti and go in and out from the north and stay 2-3 days at Khaudum camp. Then simply do drives during the day.
Our Exit from Khaudum. This picture is at the main road so really behind the photographer there is a main tar road. This 55Km takes at least 2 hours to complete. We went thein in September and so it was very dry. Our 20L water was ample for our 2 days in the park. There was no real reason to stay in the park longer. If I had to do it again I would avoid Sikeretti and go in and out from the north and stay 2-3 days at Khaudum camp. Then simply do drives during the day.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

That's all folks!!

The park needs people to go and sort out the solar pumps for the water holes and really the park will benefit from some and I say some tourisim. The Park is and can be if run correctly an wonderful wilderness area for those that want to do the 4x4 thing. But typically some investor will come in and tar the road, build a Protea Hotel and charge expensive rates. Force people to use the hotels 4x4 game drive vehicles and generally stuff up a great wilderness area all in the name of lining their pockets. Let this not happen guys. Let's promote the park as it is but with better working infrastructure like mentioned.

Thank You for not posting replies during this presentation. You may do so now if you wish.

Thanks.
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Thanks for the post Craig, I'm sure we all have a better idea of what needs to be done.
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Racing snake »

Thanks Craig. Awesome pics. I hope we can do some good there.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Nice Craig, thanks for the pics
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Ek probeer nog by die regte mense uitkom, word heeltyd verwys na iemand anders.
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Johan Kriel »

Trevor, Praat met Chris Theron van K7, hy het toegang tot the Minister.

Ek stuur pm
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Dankie Johan
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

The Park was officially closed six or seven years ago due to the lack of infrastructure. No fences meant that people could just come & go as they wished. The first time I went there they charged R35 to stay as long as you liked. Two further visits have shown the animal numbers to have deteriorated & been more skittish & wild, due to hunting. Due to lack of fuel, it is better to leave from Rundu about 110 km's tar from turnoff to Kaudum. If you leave from Grootfontein, you travel about 50 km's tar, then 250 km's dirt road before the turnoff to Sekeretti from Tsumkwe. Those days there were no lodges & fuel around Tsumkwe Area. Around Sekeretti is dirt tracks which can all be negotiated in 4x2. The top half around Kaudum camp is 4x4 due to thick sand with the exception of the drive along the river north east of Kaudum camp. The thick sand sucks the sauce & I averaged about 4km's per liter in the thick sand with a 94 Hilux 2.4 D/C
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Haboob wrote:The Park was officially closed six or seven years ago due to the lack of infrastructure. No fences meant that people could just come & go as they wished. The first time I went there they charged R35 to stay as long as you liked. Two further visits have shown the animal numbers to have deteriorated & been more skittish & wild, due to hunting. Due to lack of fuel, it is better to leave from Rundu about 110 km's tar from turnoff to Kaudum. If you leave from Grootfontein, you travel about 50 km's tar, then 250 km's dirt road before the turnoff to Sekeretti from Tsumkwe. Those days there were no lodges & fuel around Tsumkwe Area. Around Sekeretti is dirt tracks which can all be negotiated in 4x2. The top half around Kaudum camp is 4x4 due to thick sand with the exception of the drive along the river north east of Kaudum camp. The thick sand sucks the sauce & I averaged about 4km's per liter in the thick sand with a 94 Hilux 2.4 D/C
That sounds about right. :think:
Niel

Post by Niel »

Thanks Trevor
Gerrie du Plessis
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Hilux 3-0D4-D
Club VHF Licence: GDP

Post by Gerrie du Plessis »

Hi Guys.

Not a Hilux club member, but owner and also keen traveller to all these places, I'll be interrested in being part of such a team, can offer my services and expertise as well if you would be interrested.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

I have spoken to one of our suppliers, Grundfos, and they make a range of solar pumps. I have outlined very basically what needs to be done at Khaudum and they said the would be very keen to sponser the solar pumps. I don't know to what lengths they would go and when they say sponsor does it mean cost price/free or what? Nevertheless if the rain makers for this proposal PM me and I can try an put you in touch with my supplier, we may then be able to get something more concrete in place. This may be a starting point to something much bigger. Don't loose out.
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Johan Kriel »

Yes MM, good, Grundfos sqf is the only way anyhow for solar, but if you ask me, most probable they use these sqf pumps, but if enough is the question, and then theft must also be considered.
What is worrying I see every one changing wires on those solar pumps there , and I wonder if those people knows the optimum Volts, although very versatile, for the pumps.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Johan,
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

But yes, volt drop is a concideration and needs to be worked out correctly. Like everything, one needs to do the correct calculations and engineer the scheme to the correct parameters.

I saw the waterholes at Khaudum did have solar panels etc already. I suspect that most of the problems are maintenance related as the installation (from what I could see) seemed to be OK. Therefore before going t the park with a truck load of equipment one really needs to do a recci to see what is required and based on that, return with tools, equipment and manpower prepared to tackle sepcific tasks/projects.

Return to “Community Responsibility”