Daytime night visitor

Tell us about your interesting nature stories, animal sightings, questions and pictures on nature and your experiences.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Daytime night visitor

Post by Mud Dog »

Heard some birds chirping incessantly in the garden this morning in the way that they do when they are warning others of the presence of a snake. Decided to go check it out and saw that this fellow was the cause of all the commotion.

IMG_7091.JPG
IMG_7094.JPG
IMG_7096.JPG
IMG_7100.JPG

It's a Spotted Eagle Owl. Used to see plenty of these when I was a youngster, but haven't seen one in the last 20 years or so. They're not that common any more due to our increased use of pesticides and rat poisons. They used to like sitting on the tar roads in the early evenings while the tar was still giving off heat absorbed during the day. Happy to see that they're still about. We have also have a pair of Scops Owls that visit the trees in our garden almost every night.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Daytime night visitor

Post by OOOOMS »

Cool, nice pic's :thumbup:
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Cool pics Andy,thats a Spotted Eagle Owl,one of he bigger owls we get here in SA,i'm sure Koos(OU Vale)would like that one in his garden. :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Modder
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: West Rand
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4

Post by Modder »

Very nice! Always nice to see any owl in the neighbourhood...
''Life is an adventure! Cheers!'' - Kingsley Holgate
Born to hunt, forced to work!
My hart is die bosveld, maar my gat is in die stad!!!
Doom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: '92 Hilux 2.2 DC 4x4 - "Boetman"; '96 Toyota Hilux 4x4 - Lexus, 98 Toyota Hilux 2.4 4x4

Post by Doom »

:clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImageImage
LOS MAAR DIE KAAS, GENIET DIT NET !!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Now I'm just wondering... if you didn't see it Andy, would it still be a Spotted Eagle Owl. :twisted:

Secondly... you shouldn't sneak up on him like that. Seems like he had a huge fright.... check the size of his eyes :shock: :twisted:

Wish we still had owls in our suburb. When we moved in there about 30 years ago there were plenty
To God be the glory
johangr
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: '87 Hilux

Post by johangr »

Very nice,

We also have some of them in our neighborhood. Don't often see them, but they sure are beautiful.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming: WOO HOO! What a ride!"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Nay Cassie .... he didn't seem to mind our presence at all, even though there was probably only about 4 metres between us. It kept looking in other directions and keeping an eye on the birds that were still agitated by his presence. I had to make noises to get him to look back in my direction for the pics ..... not even the camera flash seemed to bother him. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Out in Nature”