WHAT KINDA SNAKE???

Tell us about your interesting nature stories, animal sightings, questions and pictures on nature and your experiences.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: WHAT KINDA SNAKE???

Post by Family_Dog »

Not me, Jose'! :o:

I would have got out of the car at the Taxi Rank (if not even sooner!!!) and just left the car there. They want to steal it - they get the Snake (Hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss) along with it. :twisted:

Yuck!

-F_D
(Tucking his feet up high under the chair)

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:lol: :lol:
Yeah, I doubt I would have stuck it out that long either. As the bloke who eventually removed the snake from the vehicle said, it's very difficult to get them out of there.
Here's a small tip on how to remove a snake from your vehicle (or anywhere else) which I hope none of you ever has to use.
Make up a 'noose stick' . This can quickly and easily be done with a few cable ties. The 'ratchet clip' must be broken out of the first tie that forms the 'loop' so that it can slide easily in both directions, a small screw driver or something similar can be used for this. Attach this first cable tie firmly to the end of the stick / rod close to the 'eye' with the 'eye' facing back towards yourself, this can be bound with string / wire or simply with another cable tie or two. Thread the end of this tie through the 'eye' creating a loop. The pull end of the loop can be lengthened with more cable ties.
Importantly, use eye protection if you suspect a 'spitter', spectacles or sunglasses, even cellophane or plastic, whatever you have available. (Not all, but most Cobra's can spit venom as well as a number of the Viper's).
If your movements are slow and deliberate, the snake will not be too agitated and it should be relatively easy to get the 'noose' over the head, but the tail will also do as a 'second prise'. Don't be afraid to 'noose' it tightly, it's unlikely that you will harm it seriously, but you don't want it to slither free, 'cause thereafter it will be aggravated. Remove it to a safe distance and release.
Otherwise, should you be unable to produce a loop stick, open all the doors and sprinkle some fuel about inside the cab and wait a while for the snake to make it's own exit. They hate the smell of fuel, especially diesel.
Like I said, I hope you never have to use this tip. :problem:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
LouisK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 1996 2.8D D/C Raider

Post by LouisK »

Het die naweek van die 2de April op Tickey Van Wyk se plaas gaan Springbok skiet. Net voor die afdraai na die plaas seil die ou oor die pad. Ek dog eers dis 'n molslang tot hy omvlieg en bakkop na my pik! :shock: Toe los ek hom maar in vrede!

hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Louis,jy sou baie beter gedoen het as jy die slang geskiet het,toe gaan skiet jy daai mooi bokkies om jou lus vir biltong te bevredig,nee sies man!!!!!!!BTW,is die biltong al droog?Hoe water my bek nou!!!!!!!!!!!!
LouisK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by LouisK »

Dit was so vrek warm (33c) dat ons nie kanse wou vat om die vleis te vervoer nie, toe gaan laai ek dit by die slagter in Merweville af en hy maak toe 'n vrag biltong en droewors. Ons sit toe met 'n probleem, want Piets Biltong in Belville sou die karkasse by ons koop dan kry ons ten minste ons R4000 vir die 11 bokke terug. Ons het toe die biltong en droewors vir R130 per kilo verkoop! Als uit verkoop binne 2 dae en my pel bereken dat ons net R50 per kilo verlies gemaak het! :think:

As julle ooit in die Karoo gaan jag en julle sit met vleis gaan laai dit gerus af by Joubert van Douvoordag Slaghuis op Merweville sy biltong en droewors is vrek lekker en hy kom elke Donderdag Bellville toe. Sy nommer is 0836611387
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Looks like a Mozambique Spitting Cobra, but cannot make out the head nicely on the pic, so not sure.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Daai lyk vir my soos die slang wat Louis se bakkie gesteel het :evil: :evil:
To God be the glory
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Daai slang trek erg op die swart mamba, X nie n groot slang kenner nie maar weet wat om te doen as ek op hom afkom.
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Daai kan 'n geelslang AKA Kaapse Kobra wees.
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Cassie, to the best of my knowledge, the Cape Cobra is coloured anywhere between a bright yellow through to an olive yellow or mustard colour, dependant on gender, season or location.

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:Cassie, to the best of my knowledge, the Cape Cobra is coloured anywhere between a bright yellow through to an olive yellow or mustard colour, dependant on gender, season or location.
IT is sometimes also brownish in colour.... alot like the one in the pics. But it is most definitely not a black mamba
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

No, a mamba would be longer for that thickness and it has a coffin shaped head (ironic actually :D: )

Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Jaaaaaaaaaa uncle maar daai een is nog klein, ek sê mos ek ken nie die goed nie. :lol: :lol: :lol: Maar ek praat van die een op die eerste bladsy nie daar waar die man die reëndans doen nie :lol: :lol: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Black spitting cobra, juveniles are grey with a black throat found in the Karoo and this ones is fatal - my vote/suspision or it could be a Cape Cobra.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I still think Mozambique cobra, and as I recall there was one on this topic before, so I looked back. If you look back to the first post, that snake looks the same as this one. Where are our herpatologist members! :mrgreen:

Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Ons moet die manne van 50/50 vra
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Niel

Post by Niel »

Mud Dog wrote:I still think Mozambique cobra
Andy, I had a look and I agree it does look like one. I had a look in a book that tells you where the diffrent snakes can be found and the it is far away from the usual places for the Mozie cobra but then I am no expert :mrgreen:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Niel, neither am I an expert, but I am aware that the "Mozzie Cobra" (I like that term :D: ) is now found almost througout the RSA. They have slowly migrated from their usual area over the past decade or so, with or without the aid of modern transport I'm not sure. Many folk believe that they have unwittingly hitched rides in or under vehicles which is entirely possible, but the southward spreading of habitat was noted a good many years back. Just hope the black Mamba does'nt get similar ideas. :shifty:

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Also first thought it to be a "Mozzie Cobra" then abandoned that idea when I read more about his natural habitat....

All I can add is that you will not find a picture like that anywhere with me in focus... I will be the blur... :)

Have came very close to personally getting acquainted with a Black Mamba on a Hiking Trail.... it was crossing the footpath we were hiking on about 2meters away. We all just froze, mamba too, and after a few seconds, and after staring at us for mush too long for my liking, the mamba just slithered away. We did the Fanie Botha and Blyderiviers Hiking Trails back to back. That is a walk from Sabie to Gods Window to Blyderiviers Canyon. A nice 160km in 8 days :)
To God be the glory
LouisK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by LouisK »

Nee dis beslis 'n bruin kapel aka geelslang aka Kaapse kobra! Daar is nie mambas is die karoo nie, meestal geelslange, pofadders en horingaddertjies.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Louis, Cape Cobra or Mozzie Cobra, you took a chance with those short bipod sticks. Both types can spit venom pretty acurately at 2 metres!

Niel

Post by Niel »

As ek daai mannetjie in die veld raak loop sien hy en almal saam met my net n baie lang bruin streep en n groter stof wolk en die 400m wereld rekord is dan ernstig in gevaar. :lol: Waar is vossie1 en Grysmol dan nou. Andy, I will PM them both and see if they can assist. :thumbup:
LouisK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by LouisK »

Mud Dog wrote:Louis, Cape Cobra or Mozzie Cobra, you took a chance with those short bipod sticks. Both types can spit venom pretty acurately at 2 metres!
Nope it cannot spit and it can have a very dark colour.

Naja nivea (Cape Cobra) is a habitat generalist, and can be
found in a wide variety of biomes across
southwestern Africa, including dune thicket,
coastal and mountain fynbos, karroid sandveld,
and semi desert. Unlike most other African cobras
this species shows a wide range of colour
variation; from yellow and golden brown to dark
brown and black.

According to “A Complete Guide to the snakes of Southern Africa” by Johan Marais, the only two SA snakes that actually spit, are the Moz Cobra and the Rinkhals.

The Black-necked Spitting Cobra, the Black Spitting Cobra and the Zebra Cobra, do not actually “spit” their venom but rather squirt it, although the word “spit” is commonly used…..and they can do this “squirting” for 2 or more meters. As the Moz cobra, they can also “spit’ from any position, even when concealed in a rock crevice.
These three snakes are all subspecies of Naja nigricollis. Only one of the three is found in SA, the Black Spitting Cobra (the Zebra Cobra is found in Namibia). For many years the Black Spitting Cobra was believed to be a black variety of the Cape Cobra. It is listed as rare in the SA Red Data Book and found in the dry western parts of SA.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Nou ja daar het julle dit, bottom line, los die slang in die veld uit :thumbup: :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I did say I'm no snake expert ....
sad dog.jpg
sad dog.jpg (27.75 KiB) Viewed 7563 times

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:I did say I'm no snake expert ....
sad dog.jpg
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

ooooo Cassie jy is erg :lol: :lol: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Jy sal my eers moet vang! :lol: :lol:

Niel

Post by Niel »

So for the first time (thanks to the books) I got it spot on :thumbup: So where is the next snake :lol:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:lol: :lol:
Well done Niel! :thumbup:

Niel

Post by Niel »

So do you have any more that we can ID :?:
LouisK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by LouisK »

Die les agter die storie (soos Tolla sou sê) is los slange uit. Daar was 2 redes hoekom ek na hom gaan kyk het. Hy het "vrekkerig" gelyk en hy het met die eerste oogopslag soos 'n molslang gelyk. Eers toe ek met die stok aan hom vat het die ou lewe gekry en kom ek sien dis nie 'n molslang nie. Na die foto's geneem is, het ek hom uit die pad gehelp, 'n skoon onderbroek aangetrek en verder gery!
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

LouisK wrote:'n skoon onderbroek aangetrek en verder gery!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Min manne is so eerlik :clap: :clap: :clap:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi guys,

My wife sent me this video this morning... amazing... they say it's the longest dead snake ever found...

A 50 foot anaconda...

Is it possible? The file is in wmv format and is 1.8mb big... download and take a look...

http://www.ftgsystems.co.za/_priv/longest_anaconda.wmv

B :wth:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ja, Boet! :D:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Apparently these pics were taken at the Southdeep Mine site.

It was aid that it took a total of 5 hours for the snake to finish off the monitor lizard.

!cid_image001.jpg
!cid_image002.jpg
!cid_image005.jpg
!cid_image008.jpg
!cid_image010.jpg
!cid_image013.jpg
!cid_image015.jpg
!cid_image018.jpg

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

!cid_image019.jpg
!cid_image020.jpg
!cid_image021.jpg
!cid_image022.jpg
!cid_image023.jpg
!cid_image024.jpg
!cid_image024.jpg (92.35 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
!cid_image025.jpg

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Andy is this another one of your Hoax photo posts :?:

Looks suspiciously like one of SWAMBO's stockings being pulled over a doggy chew toy :problem:

R :wink:
Niel

Post by Niel »

What kind osf snake is it?
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Niel wrote:What kind osf snake is it?
What does your book say Niel :?:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'd like to know myself. It looks like some kind of constrictor, but none that I'm familiar with .... possibly a cross between a python and a zebra :twisted: :wink:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

It's actually a cobra, native to Namibia but has spread out of that area.

The Western Barred Spitting Cobra or Zebra Snake may be confused with the Tiger and coral Snakes. Has distinct black rings or crossbars on body and tail. Often found on tarred roads. This shy snake's venom is dangerously cytotoxic which may cause severe tissue damage. It would choose to escape but if cornered will spread a hood and may spit its venom.

4westbarspitcobra.jpg
4westbarspitcobra.jpg (14.9 KiB) Viewed 4934 times

Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

173ab.jpg
173ab.jpg (22.23 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
More Snakes
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

058a.jpg
058a.jpg (67.8 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
Cape Cobra
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

183ab.jpg
183ab.jpg (34.52 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
Nice Large Mole Snake
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Snake Eating A Bird
Snake Eating A Bird
PC253740a.jpg (51.35 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
Snake Swollowing A Bird
Snake Swollowing A Bird
PC253741a.jpg (37.72 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
Snake Finished Swollowing A Bird
Snake Finished Swollowing A Bird
PC253742a.jpg (41.65 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Puff Adder
Puff Adder
Assorted (5)a.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Black Mamba
Black Mamba
043a.jpg (33.33 KiB) Viewed 4914 times
hilex08
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilex V8, Ford Ranger 2500 td, C55 AMG

Post by hilex08 »

came back from welkom on monday, on the bothaville - klerksdorp road.

I counted not less than ten snakes been killed on the tar road.....

didnt stop to see what kinda snakes they were.... :roll:
Niel

Post by Niel »

I was out in the Karoo National Park, and saw this unfortunate snake.

I have narrowed it down to Herald snake, cross-marked snake or a skaap steker. It was approx 50 - 60 cm long with awhite belly and it wasa very thin snake. Or did I mis the real name?
Attachments
Karoo National Park_19Mar2010 544 (Large).jpg
Karoo National Park_19Mar2010 544 (Large).jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sometimes the female boomslang can be as brown as that ...which would be my guess. Doubt it's a skaapsteker, they have a striped pattern down the back while the plain coloured ones are only found in Aus :D:

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:Sometimes the female boomslang can be as brown as that ...which would be my guess. Doubt it's a skaapsteker, they have a striped pattern down the back while the plain coloured ones are only found in Aus :D:
Ek sien ook geen pregnant skape op die foto nie :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

CasKru wrote:Ek sien ook geen pregnant skape op die foto nie
Ja Cassie jy is ook te skerp vir jouself as jy my vra, maar jy vra nie so ek sê nie :lol: :lol: :lol:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

It's often been said "The best snake is a dead one" ... I would disagree, they generally serve more good than harm and I leave them be ... except if it's a puffy or a boomslang in my yard. Killed a male juvenile boomslang yesterday ... my dogs would have done that, but probably not before being bitten. .... One pellet in the head! Although the pics don't show it nicely, the males are identifiable by the brightness of the green which has a turquoise tint towards the tail and the head ... also the yellow between the green upper body and the whiter underbelly is more defined and bright. Juveniles are just as venomous as adults, if not more so.
IM004557.JPG
IM004559.JPG

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:It's often been said "The best snake is a dead one" ... I would disagree, they generally serve more good than harm and I leave them be ... except if it's a puffy or a boomslang in my yard. Killed a male juvenile boomslang yesterday ... my dogs would have done that, but probably not before being bitten. .... One pellet in the head! Although the pics don't show it nicely, the males are identifiable by the brightness of the green which has a turquoise tint towards the tail and the head ... also the yellow between the green upper body and the whiter underbelly is more defined and bright. Juveniles are just as venomous as adults, if not more so.
I see that "boomslang" got a grip on things... It's lying on a rubber mat.. .make that two :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
To God be the glory

Return to “Out in Nature”