The Leopard and Mouse Story

Tell us about your interesting nature stories, animal sightings, questions and pictures on nature and your experiences.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

The Leopard and Mouse Story

Post by pietpetoors »

I received this by email this morning:
This mouse diced with death when it tucked into the lunch of a hungry leopard.
Seemingly unaware of the beast towering over it, the mischievous rodent grabbed at scraps of meat thrown into the African Leopard's enclosure.
But instead of pouncing on the the tiny intruder the 12-year-old leopard, called Sheena, appeared to be afraid of the daring mouse and kept her distance.
At one stage she tried to nudge the mouse away with her nose, but the determined little chap carried on chewing away until he was full.
Excuse me? A perturbed Sheena the leopard looks on as a cheeky mouse nibbles her food at the Santago Rare Leopard Project in Hertfordshire...

The extraordinary scene was captured by photography student Casey Gutteridge at the Santago Rare Leopard Project in Hertfordshire.
The 19-year-old, from Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, who was photographing the leopard for a course project, was astounded by the mouse's behaviour.
He said: 'I have no idea where the mouse came from - he just appeared in the enclosure after the keeper had dropped in the meat for the leopard.
'He didn't take any notice of the leopard, just went straight over to the meat and started feeding himself.
'But the leopard was pretty surprised - she bent down and sniffed the mouse and flinched a bit like she was scared.
'In the meantime the mouse just carried on eating like nothing had happened.
Project owner Jackie James added: 'It was so funny to see - Sheena batted the mouse a couple of times to try to get it away from her food.
'But the determined little thing took no notice and just carried on.'
Sheena was brought in to the Santago Rare Leopard Project from a UK zoo when she was just four months old.
She is one of 14 big cats in the private collection started by Jackie's late husband Peter in 1989.
The African Leopard can be found in the continent's forests, grasslands, savannas, and rainforests.
The leopard is the most elusive of all the big cats. They are solitary animals and are primarily nocturnal - preferring to hunt at night.
The species is also a strong climber and is capable of killing prey larger than itself.
The leopard's prey ranges from fish, reptiles and birds to smaller mammals such as hares and monkeys.
A stealthy hunter, leopard's are known to to stalk close to their prey and run a relatively short distance on the hunt.
They kill by grabbing their prey by the throat and biting down with their jaws and store their larger kills in trees - out of the reach of prowling lions and hyenas.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: The Leopard and Mouse Story

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

In a similar vane:

In a recent episode of MythBusters they set out to expose the tail of the Might Elephant being afraid of the Tiny Mouse. :ugeek:

Astonishingly it's true; in each controlled experiment, when the mouse was exposed in front of a fully grown elephant, the elephant stopped dead in its tracks, backed up and fled with gusto :o: :shock:

Brings a new angle on the old question:

Are you a man or a mouse.... :think:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks Pieter. Very interesting and even amusing :D. Tenacious little fellow, hey! :wth: :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

If that pussy cat was hungry...............no more Mickey.

I didn't know that mice would be intrested in raw meat.I thought they were omnivore.Anything is possible in the USA or is it UK?
Zandyl
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mokopane
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 DC

Post by Zandyl »

I didn't know that mice would be intrested in raw meat.
They do eat meat, i caught 2 some time ago with "No Rat"(sticky green glue) and the next day there was only a couple of bones left, their buddies chowed them
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Oh they are great meat lovers! I found that out many years back the first time I made biltong in the garage! Buggers! :x A piece of chicken as bait in your traps is irresistible to them! :!:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Andy is that now cooked meat? Raw meat would rot and stink.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Cooked or raw, they love it! It won't last long enough to start stinking if it's raw.

Return to “Out in Nature”