Thaba Monate

Ou vale1
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Thaba Monate

Post by Ou vale1 »

We had our YEGTG at Thaba Monate and I'm aware that their management also follow our forum. Firstly I want to apologise to them for driving through a very eco-sensitive area which we were not aware of and which were not marked as such. I would like to thank them for their hospitality and offering us their facility at unbelievable rates. Everyone seemed to have an enjoyable weekend with fantastic facilities and a relaxing atmosphere.
From the attendees on the 4x4 route I need an opinion, did you find the route:
- boring
-interresting
-challenging
-other

My personal believe is that with a few adjustments this can be a 4x4 trail of note which could put Thaba Monate on the 4x4 map if their management wishes to do so!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Thaba Monate

Post by The Legend »

I also enjoy the week-end very much and would rate the 4x4 routes as interesting as well as challencing.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Lollie wrote:I also enjoy the week-end very much and would rate the 4x4 routes as interesting as well as challencing.
That would be from me too.Challencing,only the part that Cassie and I did.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I will most definately go there again as I found the facilities to be 100% to my liking.

Regarding the route, it's a nice leisurely drive. The only challenging part is the grade 5 obstacle (most definitely a 5)

As one of the guys who drove through the eco area, I would have liked to see signs indicating this rather than finding out afterwards.

But all in all as a weekend break away... 7 out of 10.
As a 4x4 trail... 5 out of 10
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Itv die campsite sou ek dit seker 'n 7.5/10 rating gee, die abusies was altyd skoon :thumbup: Vriendelike staff by die hek, dis omtrent waar ek was :wink2:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

As a campsite I would say that the standard and cleanliness of the campsite was really of high standards!!! Everything was neat and clean. Staff friendly and shaded and grassy stands!!

The trail I would say was interesting, not really challenging!! It does however have the potential to be developed and made as a real challenging and scenic but still interesting trail. This will definitely put the place on the 4x4 Map as a destination.
Johan Marais
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

We thoroughly enjoyed the weekend.
The facilities were clean, neat and modern(better than expected).
We misunderstood the stand allocation as we thought that each stand was allocated to the person who payed for it and not on a first come first serve basis(newbie mistake). Thaba Monate admin quickly changed our reservation to another stand with no hassles(this turned out to be a blessing in disguise as we met some new people and thoroughly enjoyed their company - tnx Neil).

The trail was a nice, safe beautifull family trail(which I think is the target market for the resort and not the extreme 4x4ers).
The other facilities(pool, shop etc.) were up to par.

We will definitely go again for a weekend.

Thanx to all the Thaba staff and management and all the organisers of the club you made us feel right at home as newcommers to the club camping events.

From all die De Klerks :thumbup:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

We were impressed with the fascilities :thumbup:

The ablution block is far better than most I've seen, especially liked the showers, and the geysers are working 100%. Pool, trampolines & playground a huge bonus, kept the kids busy for hours. Loved the fact that the campsite is covered in lawn.

Trail is a leisurely drive in most places, but I enjoyed the 'mountain section' nonetheless. A few more man-made obstacles in the bottom sections won't hurt, sensitive areas should be clearly marked though.

I'm keen to try their chalets some time, the location is perfect wrt views. In short, I would go back there :thumbup:
Popmar
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Albertskroon Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hi Lux

Post by Popmar »

Ons kamp uiters selde in oorde soos Thaba Monate aangesien ons meer in die bos met min geriewe kamp. Daarom was die ablusie geriewe, die gelykte van die staanplekke, grasoppervlakte en ander geriewe ver bo waaraan ons gewoond is. Wat gerief en dies meer aan betref is Thaba Monate dus ver bo dit waaraan ons gewoond is en kan dit dus as `n puik bestemming beskou word.
Ek dink ook vir gesinne met kindertjies is dit `n baie goeie bestemming. Sodra ek eendag ook klein kinders het sal ek ook daar `n staanplekkie soek.
Wat die 4x4 roete aan betref is die grootste gedeelte soos reeeds reur ander genoem `n lekker ontspanningsroete. Die gedeelte wat deur die "tuffies" gery is sal ek hul woord aanvaar dit `n 5 is en as Thaba Monate sou besluit hul wil meer op 4x4 konsentreer sal hul beslis nog moeilike gedeeltes moet by voeg om dit vir die 4x4 mense aanvaarbaar te maak.
Jingo73
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Toyota Zebra (Fortuner)

Post by Jingo73 »

Ons het dit ook baie geniet, geriewe baie goed. Die roete kort dalk meer graad 3 hindernisse. Die meeste was of te rof vir 'n nuwe voertuig of te maklik, en daar was 'n bietjie min hindernisse. Maar sal defnitief weer gaan.
All things that are, are with more spirit chased, than enjoyed.
William Shakespeare
Ou vale1

Post by Ou vale1 »

Danman wrote:We thoroughly enjoyed the weekend.
The facilities were clean, neat and modern(better than expected).
We misunderstood the stand allocation as we thought that each stand was allocated to the person who payed for it and not on a first come first serve basis(newbie mistake). Thaba Monate admin quickly changed our reservation to another stand with no hassles(this turned out to be a blessing in disguise as we met some new people and thoroughly enjoyed their company - tnx Neil).

The trail was a nice, safe beautifull family trail(which I think is the target market for the resort and not the extreme 4x4ers).
The other facilities(pool, shop etc.) were up to par.

We will definitely go again for a weekend.

Thanx to all the Thaba staff and management and all the organisers of the club you made us feel right at home as newcommers to the club camping events.

From all die De Klerks :thumbup:
Danie, die staanplekke word wel deur hulle geallokkeer, maar aangesien hulle so vrymoedig was om die hele B-blok vir ons beskikbaar te maak teen geen addisionele koste nie het ek besluit om dit 'n 'free for all" te maak. :thumbup:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

The ablution fascilities were outstanding :thumbup:
Didn't do the trail and so cannot comment.
Lovely and friendly staff, even the mozzies were well behaved :mocking:
Camping area well kept and maintaned.
As for the gate, I cannot complain as they operate/d at my times :yahoo:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Great place, as for the trail, I agree with Danie, great family trail, but seeing that many of us are doing long trips very soon, I don't think we would have wanted to take on a grade 5.The trail suited the reason for the GTG. Will go there again anytime. Thank you Donkey for not hooting :yahoo:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
IISARGE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: brackenhurst ext2
Vehicle: 2700i 4x2 hilux

Post by IISARGE »

From my side. Only getting there on Saturday morning because of work commitments :oops: I found the camp site to be of the highest standard with clean toilets and camp sites. :thumbup: The staff, what can I say but excellent all round. :yahoo: The trail was enjoyable and as Neil said, some of us are going on holiday :beach: so we took it easy. :cool: I will go back any day, it made me feel right at home. Thanks to the staff for being so cool. I rate Thaba Monate a BIG YES! :drinks: :applaud:
Piece of Cake...!
ImageImage
Ou vale1

Post by Ou vale1 »

And they have the best FC just arriving from the bush and going on his way as he goes along................. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Tequila
Town: Bela Bela
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5D4D D/cab

Post by Tequila »

Goeie dag almal

Ek wil graag names Thaba Monate en as bestuurder dankie se vir jul ondersteuning en gebruik van ons oord. En dankie vir die terugvoering en gedagtes ood ons oord via die forum.
Ek vra ook omverskoning dat ek nie die tyd kon kry om al die Hilux klub lede te ontmoet en saam tyd te spandeer nie.

Eerstens wil ek n uitnodiging maak aan die lede van die Hilux forum rakende ons 4x4 roets. As daar enige belangstelling is, sal ons graag advies en opsies wil inwin van die Hilux Klub lede oor moontlike verbetringe en alternatiewe vir ons 4x4 roetes en hindernisse. Ons sal selfs n naweek beskikbaar stel teen afslag tariewe vir die wat bereid sal wees om weer as n groep te kom kamp en roetes uit te le en bestaande roetes te verbeter. Ons kan dalk selfs borde oprig wat noem dat sekere roetes uitgele en verbeter is deur die Hilux Klub (voorstel?).

Tweedens, die ekologiese area, van ons kant af, jammer oor dit nie as sulks gemerk is nie. Ek wil egter net noem dat in die reels wat al ons gaste by ontvangs ontvang, genoem word dat (.10 op de reels) "4x4 vehicles should stick to the allocated trails and are not permitted in the river beds."
Gelukkig was die skade nie erg nie en het die spore met die onlangse reen reeds uit gewas.
Die rede vir die reel en versoek is ook om te keer dat enige Jan-rap en sy maat ry waar hulle wil, hou asseblief in gedagte dat as elke persoon met n 4x4 sy eie hindernisse probeer skep, hoe die oord gaan lyk na n ruk? Ons probeer tog ook die oord bemark as n natuur wegbreek plek.

Derdens, as alles goed gaan met die produksie, sal daar op 30 Januarie 2012 n TV program wees op KyKNet van ons 4x4 roetes. Andre de Villiers van Safari Centre en sy Safari Roetes span, was n week na die Hilux Club hier om die program te verfilm.
En vir interresantheid het hy selfs die gradering 5 hindernis as uitdagend bestempel! (hy het die berg roete, op sowel as af aangepak met sy Toyota Fortuner)

Laastens, ek wil graag die geleentheid gebruik om klub lede in te lig oor projekte waaroor ons baie opgewonde vir die nuwe jaar.
1 Ons leeu kampe is uiteindelik klaar en ons behoort as als goed gaan voor die einde van die jaar ons welpies te kry.
2 Januarie begin konstruksie op ons 'zip-lines', baie soortgelyk aand die bekende 'canopy tours'. Die projek sal as als goed gaan einde Junie voltooi en oop vir die publiek wees.

Enige verdere raad, opinies en voorstelle sal opreg waardeer wees. Stuur asseblief vri my persoonlik by management@thaba-monate.co.za. Ons wil graag die oord n beter plek maak vir al ons gaste.

Weereens baie dankie vir die ondersteuning van al die Hilux Klub lede. (Ek moet byvoeg geen ander 4x4 klub was al hier by ons nie, maar die Hilux span wel 2 keer - Baie Dankie!)

Groete

Pierre van der Merwe
Bestuurder - Thaba Monate Game Lodge
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

:thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Dankie vir die terugvoer Pierre en ook vir die uitnodiging. Ons sal julle wel in die toekoms weer sien
To God be the glory

Return to “South Africa”