Photo's of the various engines used in Hilux's, pros & c

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Photo's of the various engines used in Hilux's, pros & c

Post by Family_Dog »

Choppie wrote::D
The water leak is caused by a small hole in the copper pipe going in to the cab underneath the dash......
If I can not get it fixed from the Engine compartment I will have to go without the heater as...there is no way I am taking the dash apart.. :lol: .. but I am sure I will be able get it fixed....
I had the same problem with the 4x2. Luckily, I was having the bakkie resprayed at the time and they had already stripped the dash board, so it was no big sweat to remove the heater and repair the pipes, which had begun to break loose at the joints rather than corrode.

If anybody has a heater that they will not be using, I would be very grateful for the heater shut-off valve, the one connected to the hot water hoses in the engine compartment, on the firewall. I cannot find one anywhere and the current one I am using is from a Golf and simply does not have enough travel to fully open or shut.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

I went from 4Y to Essex V6 as I had the engine available. Works well no problems.
I used a Hilux Diesel radiator and Nissan 9 blade fan without viscous coupling.
You have to panelbeat the passenger side firewall about 40mm back to clear the right cylinder head. Otherwise it just drops in (well actually no, there were quite a lot of small mods...)
4Y 2_2.jpg
Essex V6 3L.JPG
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

The Essex looks very very nice, did you do the fitment and installation yourself, where did you get an engine like this from, what gearbox do you have fitted? I also sent you a PM. :)
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

I took the engine from my donor Hilux. It had a JT3000 conversion. The engine was shot and had fire damage, so I stripped it completely and then rebuilt it. I did the conversion myself at home. So far no problems.

I'm using the standard gearbox with a GILO engineering bellhousing. The other gearbox lasted 17 years with this motor so its obvioulsy strong enough.

This was the V6 engine before in the other Hilux:
Ford V6 before.JPG
I've never seen an engine this filthy.
Bosvark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 2200 D/C AUS specs

Post by Bosvark »

You must start cleaning the engin.The foto will look better and a person can see what is going on.Just a joke
n vark bly maar n vark
TopHilux Hilton
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: '91 Hilux DC 4x4 3.0L KZTE Eng.

Post by TopHilux Hilton »

These are of my KZTE engine fitted. A bit dirty though, and since been tidied up a bit..... :lol:

1991 Hilux D/Cab 4x4 3.0L KZTE Eng
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Hilton

I cleaned up these pics a bit.

Maybe you can replace the originals.

Attachments
Image3.jpg
Image2.jpg
Image1.jpg
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

An evironmentally friendly conversion.Only by product is Methane though :mrgreen: .

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

4Y engine with EFI

Dawid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2009 Suzuki Jimny

Post by Dawid »

Here is a photo of my 2.8D Hilux now fitted with the 3.0D (5L) motor. Looks pretty much the same. 1st pic is the old 3L motor and the second is the 5L motor

2009 Suzuki Jimny (Mini Hilux)
Ex-Hilux SFA 3.0D
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Dawid

I see you added the in-line reservoir into the cooling system. It works great. I actually want to go and see if I cant find a larger capacity tank then my current VW tank. I believe that Opel has one which take a couple of litres of water and has a reed switch to indicate the water level, as the capacitive switches on the VW bottles are difficult to use since you can not simply just connect them in-line with a LED or warning light.
Dawid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2009 Suzuki Jimny

Post by Dawid »

I fitted the VW reservoir when the 3L motor would not suck coolant back into the radiator when cooling down. I now believe the reason for this was possibly a cracked head. I decided to keep it this way with the 5L motor since it is easier to monitor coolant levels. I modified the pressure cap so that the pressure is brought down to 0.9bar, similar to the Toyota spec. The VW cap releases at around 1.4bar if I remember correctly. No-one could so far give me an idea of how to make the level sensor work.
2009 Suzuki Jimny (Mini Hilux)
Ex-Hilux SFA 3.0D
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Here's a pic of a Hilux with a 3Y Alpine Turbo conversion. I wanted to by this 2 years ago but couldn't justify a 4th vehicle. 75 000km and one elderly owner wanted R 26k. ('80's model SC 4x4)
3Y_Alpine Turbo.JPG
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

That would have been a bargain! The 3Y is a damn nice engine, only 2-litre, but very reliable.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Dawid, Good Luck on getting the sensor to work :twisted:

Having driven a golf for 11 years, I can without a doubt tell you that that is the single most stupid sensor there is :!:
I built up a 1978 golf from boot to bonnet and never bothered to replace the expansion tank with the sensor one. I did however replace the dash and cluster and therefore got a newer cluster with the sensor light etc and even though it wasn't connected to anything :? , it used to flash at me and tell me the water was low.

I am aware of several golfs that have the sensor connected and it flashes all the time, now that either means the sensor is the problem or there wiring. Either way, you are better off not using it, IMHO.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Cant be the sensor as that is merely two pins that stick into water and when in contact with water the capacitance changes and a circuit then measures the value and switch the light on or off. These systems all give in after a while, sometimes it is corrosion inside the connection on top of the bottle but most of the time that is not the problem but it is with the circuitry. Sold my Golf also with a flickering LED that flickered for about 9 out of the 12 years that I had her.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

F_D's engines, update:

White Fang, 2.7i

Bulldog after EFI Conversion on the 4Y

Pikkie Dog's stock standard 3Y engine

-F_D

SYRON CONVERSIONS

Eric when was the last photo taken, it seems that maybe the front brake pads are getting low, check the pads or top up the brake fluid, nice clean engine compartments, excellent stuff.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Simon,

Most observant! I never even noticed that, will check tomorrow. The pics were taken about two weeks ago.

I had just finished washing out the engine bays with a high-pressure cleaner, you can still see drops of water here & there.

-F_D

cressida
Town: Durban
Vehicle: toyota cressida

Post by cressida »

I am running a 1g-fe engine, so i replaced the head gusket and i decided to paint the engine parts but without spoiling the pipes, wires and other parts that does not require painting. I separated everything including the air flow meter.

upon starting, it started but didn't want to rev. then i downloaded some information about sensor's. that info is a must have, the site is AA1CAR.COM, then i discovered that the air flow meter was not working properly.

my problem is that i can't find the part because it has been discontinued, the part number is 22250-70250
my car is 1988 model toyota cressida gli-6. i love the perfomance of that, so am trying not modify the fuel system

if any know where i can find the part i would appreciate

blessing tula
SYRON CONVERSIONS

:clap: Well I have not been in here for a very long time, did not know that it has grown so much, well done guys :clap: at least we can see what all the engines look like and the mods done to keep them going.

simoan
basirk905
Town: Rawalpindi
Vehicle: Kia Sportage

Post by basirk905 »

Guys I am new to this forum and come to this page via google "3y-PE wiring diagram". I have swaped 3y-PE engine in Kia sportage 2003, hooked up all sensor including knock sensor, tps, oxygen sensor, IAT sensor. The only thing with which I am struggling is the wiring between ECU, distributor and ignition module. Can you guys please help me with this wiring.

There are 2 wires connector coming from ignition coil and 2-wire connector coming from pickup coil, on ECU we have G1, G-, Ne- and Ne+ pins. I have 5-pin toyota ignition module. Please help.
Attachments
3y_PE_dist.jpg
(65.42 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
2013-06-30 13.11.43_2.jpg
2013-06-09 17.44.13_2.jpg
gasoline
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: toyota hilux 4x4

Post by gasoline »