Is the new Hilux still a Hilux?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
landiefan
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Prado

Is the new Hilux still a Hilux?

Post by landiefan »

As you can see from my name (LandieFan – Defenders ONLY) I have been sitting on the other side for most of my life. The first move in the right direction was buying a Toyota Prado. You cannot imagine the abuse I got for that (being a Landie fan and all).
The Prado is the finest car money can buy, but it is not really the car you want to use as a hunting/fishing cabbie. My first 5 meters of off-road cost me a lot of money when I drove over a branch that stuck a 2 inch hole through the rear bumper. So now I want a Hilux (I am sick of getting a lift when the road ends).
My question is; is the new Hilux still a Hilux or is it an electronic filled plastic 4x4, best suited to stay on the road?
andrevt
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Re: Is the new Hilux still a Hilux?

Post by andrevt »

hi fritz
welcome from us in the freestate
nothing wrong with the new lux just ma check the trip reports and look for yuor self
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Hannes.S
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: 11
Vehicle: 111

Post by Hannes.S »

Hi Fritz

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
have a look at these topics to see the new hilux in action.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10224
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9747

:wave:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Hi Frik

Welcome and congrats on the wise decision.

Let my answer your question with another; If you get a Landy to be reliable and stop leaking oil, is it still a Landy? :shock: :shock:

:wink:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Fritz! Good luck with you search for a good 'ole Lux! :thumbup: (Then you can keep the 'landie fan' as a biltong drier and change your avatar! :D: )
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
MORNE
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Isuzu E/cab 3.0 D-tec

Post by MORNE »

landiefan wrote:As you can see from my name (LandieFan – Defenders ONLY) I have been sitting on the other side for most of my life. The first move in the right direction was buying a Toyota Prado. You cannot imagine the abuse I got for that (being a Landie fan and all).
The Prado is the finest car money can buy, but it is not really the car you want to use as a hunting/fishing cabbie. My first 5 meters of off-road cost me a lot of money when I drove over a branch that stuck a 2 inch hole through the rear bumper. So now I want a Hilux (I am sick of getting a lift when the road ends).
My question is; is the new Hilux still a Hilux or is it an electronic filled plastic 4x4, best suited to stay on the road?
I dont think the new Hilux is so reliable like the pre-2005 models.The reason for that is LOCAL CONTENT. IF you could import one from Japan it would be a different vehicle.One day we will read , Local content killed the Hilux. Just my opinion !!
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

I would say the new Hilux is stronger than the older ones.Compare the size and thicknes of the chassis.
m2cw
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Older Hiluxes also had a percentage of local content
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

True. By weight, probably more so than the new models.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

MORNE
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Isuzu E/cab 3.0 D-tec

Post by MORNE »

BenHur wrote:Older Hiluxes also had a percentage of local content
Waar , maar baie kleiner %
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I dont think it has anything to do with local content. It is all about money for the big corporates, and they will cut corners to satisfy the "bottom line", and if that means they have to compromise on reliability that is exactly what they will do. This is not only true of Toyota, but of all corporates. Satisfying the share-holders have become more important than satisfying the customers, chances are that stuff wont break because they cut corners and they are willing to take that risk. Toyota is a player on the world markets and it is essential that they remain profitable at all costs, and if that means that you, little Johnny in sunny SA, are being pee'd off because your Toyota wont start, well tough luck dude.

How does this fit in with the old and the new Hilux? The old Hilux was built in a time when "Reliability" was not negotiable for Toyota, and therefore the brand built up a very good reputation as being super-ultra reliable. That is also the reason why they were so conservative in engine choices and body shapes. To build a stable brand that satisfies their customers and dont leave them stranded on the side of the road.

The old SFA Hilux was primarily a Workhorse bakkie that ended up being used as a leisure vehicle, hence no aircon, electric windows, solid front axle etc etc. They were also tough as nails and goes everywhere. These are all workhorse traits.

But suddenly Toyota identified the demand for a leisure vehicle and came to the party, albeit slowly, first with the introduction on IFS in SA in 1998 (this has been available in the USA since the early 90's), and also the electric windows, ABS, etc etc. This was a Workhorse/Leisure bakkie well equipped for having fun but also tough enough to do a hard day's work. Although with the application of leather seats and metallic paint many owners feel too sorry for their bakkies to work them hard, and have an SFA parked in the back yard to do the nasty stuff.

Gradually the Hilux became a confused puppy, because it although it was a workhorse, it was also an okay leisure vehicle and lots of people bought them. When it was time for a new model Toyota went and focused primarily on the leisure side of things and designed the new Hilux as a Leisure vehicle that can be used as a workhorse. This does not mean that the new Hilux is soft, but it does mean that the whole focus of Bakkie-ness has shifted.

Toyota is not the only brand that did this. All the other brands also went "soft", so to speak, and this is true of Land Rover as well. Nowadays there are so many gadgets and electronic wizzardry in the vehicle it is not even funny. And a vehicle can be rendered immobile by an electric seat malfunctioning or something I heard the other day. Where will it all end.

The point is this. You cannot really compare the old Hilux and the new Hilux as they are 2 completely different vehicles built for different purposes, and at times when different "masters" (customers vs share-holders) had to be satisfied. I will buy a new Hilux, if Toyota SA will give me the model that I want, but being the customer, my requirements don't count, as their bottom line is more important and therefore they wont supply it in SA... Oh what to do now... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Kaspaas wrote: ... Oh what to do now... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Buy a Landie? :twisted:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”