2.8D power

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
AlbertH
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '97 Hilux 2.8D DC 4x4

2.8D power

Post by AlbertH »

Although it seems as if my Hilux can practically climb walls in low-range, it looses a heluva lot of speed on even the slightest uphill on the highway. Usually goes down to about 80km/h, 60 and lower on steep ones. I get fuel consumption of about 7.8-8.3km/l loaded. As I haven't driven another 2.8D, can anyone tell me if this is normal, or do I need to take the beast to the doctor? We had a 2.4D Venture that didn't seem as slow. Any ideas on what to check? Injectors and fuel pump calibration maybe?

Albert
iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Re: 2.8D power

Post by iHilux »

AlbertH wrote:Although it seems as if my Hilux can practically climb walls in low-range, it looses a heluva lot of speed on even the slightest uphill on the highway. Usually goes down to about 80km/h, 60 and lower on steep ones. I get fuel consumption of about 7.8-8.3km/l loaded. As I haven't driven another 2.8D, can anyone tell me if this is normal, or do I need to take the beast to the doctor? We had a 2.4D Venture that didn't seem as slow. Any ideas on what to check? Injectors and fuel pump calibration maybe?

Albert
Hi Albert, yip, sounds pretty much like she's a normal 2.8D.

Cruising speed should be around 110km/h
Hills, she should drop back to between 85 - 90km/h and forth gear.
Steeper hill, down to third and then you can really only do 60km/h.
Your fuel consuption figures are about right, so that indicates that sh'e running fine. IMHO, any "tuning" would be a waiste of time.

What tyres size & pattern are you running?
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
AlbertH
Vehicle: '97 Hilux 2.8D DC 4x4

Post by AlbertH »

Got a set of 30x9.5x15 Kumho MT for offroad and 245/75/15 Dunlop Trakgrip for normal driving. The mud tyres look good, but they're noisy as hell. They helped this weekend though, went to swaziland and it rained a bit. Climbed that mountain like it was nothing.
Albert
1997 2.8D DC 4x4
iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Post by iHilux »

AlbertH wrote:Got a set of 30x9.5x15 Kumho MT for offroad and 245/75/15 Dunlop Trakgrip for normal driving. The mud tyres look good, but they're noisy as hell. They helped this weekend though, went to swaziland and it rained a bit. Climbed that mountain like it was nothing.
All sounds about right then.
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
basto
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: 98 hilux 2.8 d

Post by basto »

I aint no expert but yours sound just like mine. mine runs like a dream, i get bit better consumtion though and i have 31 inch bfg's a/t.

Oh, mine clims walls too :D
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

basto wrote:Oh, mine clims walls too
I aint no expert but yours sound just like mine. mine runs like a dream, i get bit better consumtion though and i have 31 inch bfg's a/t.

Oh, mine clims walls too :D
Basto, now you will have to come and show us that at the next drinks get together this Thursday. Kriges in Bellville. :?:
basto
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: 98 hilux 2.8 d

Post by basto »

Pitty Neil would have loved to have gonne but very busy with work and going overseas so am missioning hard.... next time.....Thanx :)
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Herbie, lekker man ek hoop dit is vir plesier en nie vir werk doeleindes nie :?:
Fdp
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: 97' 2.8Dt Hilux DC

Post by Fdp »

Albert

Your figures sound about right. I have a 2.8D with the factory fitted Alpine Turbo and gets about 9 - 9.5 ave on fuel and also have some problems uphill. Not so bad but still. Apart from that I really enjoy the vehicle. I have 31" BFG AT fiited and could not seen the difference on power or fuel consumption.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Reading this thread is a real eye opener... :shock:

I should never complain about too much power in my Hilux!!! I apologise unconditionally for any past jabberings about my Supralux being too strong and fast!! :oops:

You poor unlucky bastards...

:mrgreen:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”