Advice needed on my dream project

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
AB vT
Town: Joostenbergvlakte Kraaifontein
Vehicle: Colt Clubcab

Advice needed on my dream project

Post by AB vT »

This will be my 3rd Hilux, others sold or missing in action.
At present I am negotiating a 89 single cab 4X4, going for a song, it has no motor.

(My dream) This is not intended as my everyday vehicle, and objective is to create a recreational toy, which I can use on hunts, trails, and overlanding. Before I get all excited, let me say that cash flow will determine projects pace.

After securing the purchase, collection and registering drama etc. I would like consider what “bolt on”, “diesel power plant”, would best suit my needs, advice needed here. (She must be able to tow a large hunting trailer without batting an eye)

Once on the road, I will worry about “good” ground clearance.

It is a pre requisite that whether in the Kalahari, or some African bush, it can be repaired with a pliers and some “blou draad”. (if needed a local “kraalman” should be able to give advice)

AB
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Advice needed on my dream project

Post by Family_Dog »

Ah, Diesel motor. Some of the Diesel boffins will be able to help you with some advice here, I'm a petrolite :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Ramkat
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kokstad KZN
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 GD6, Prado VX 3.0D4D

Post by Ramkat »

I've been playing with the idea of fitting a Ford 2.5 td.Don't think this idea will be welcomed on this forum since it is a Ford, but I think it will compliment the Hilux nicely!
AB vT

Post by AB vT »

Hi Ramkat, Family Dog, and everyone else, Merry Xmas to everyone who is spending their Xmas morning / day behind the keyboard.

Personally I would like to remain faithful, and fit a Toyota motor. With regards to the engine size and output, what I omitted to say in the original message was, that I will be doing a suspension upgrade / lift, changing rims and will probably be fitting 33 X 12.50R16 or if dreams can come true, possibly even 35’s

Anyway, by fitting monsters, I will still need enough power to play in the dunes.

AB
Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Datsun & Nissan 4x4

Post by Engel »

AB kyk na die nuwe 3.0 d4d, enige ander masjien gaan nie daai tyres en trailer trek nie! Jy sal maak moet kyk na n lexus v8 met wat jy wil probeer regkry!
For anything offroad: herman@angeloffroad.co.za
Pofadder recovery kits @ wholesale prices
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

I have to agree that it is good advice to stick with the Toy engine because (even though it is a very good engine) the Ford is not sommer going to be repairable by bush mechanics, but the same will go for the D4D machines. I ( and this is said while I have a very bad inner conflict in my deepest inner being, since I too am a Petrolhead) would recommend the 5L (3000D) engine and if you are thinking of fitting big tyres like you mentioned, I would suggest a ratio change as well together with the diesel, otherwise you are going to constantly over-fuel your motor (same as driving a diesel in 5th gear going up a steep hill or towing a large load as this is bad for the EGTs)

If the 5L option sounds too slow for your liking, the other alternative would be to fit the KZT (without the E :wink: ) engine like Top Hilux Hilton has done, which is a KZT motor with the mechanical diesel pump from the 5L so that the engines stays uncomplicated for that "kraalman" type repairs.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

I was thinking the 4.2 litre straight six diesel that is still currently doing service in the Land Cruiser 70. Should almost be the same size as a 7M engine?

This is a very strong engine, and certainly no slouch...

96 kW and 285 Nm of torque versus the 66 kW and 184 Nm of torque on the 4Y. They sell for around R15K - R18K.

My next Hilux will either have this engine, or the 2.7i petrol.
iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Post by iHilux »

You need a normal aspirated diesel will a big compression ratio. The 4.2 cruiser diesel sounds like a fine option, although I think she will be heavy and a really tight fit.

My gut says the 5L / 3000D Toyota Hilux engine. You will be able to pick them up for around R15k, and an easy conversion.

To run 35" tyres, you will certainly have to look at changing ratios for the on the road performance. Off road, crawler gears or a marlin adapter plate will do the trick. This will give you heaps of low down torque and make for an awesome off roader......

Looking forward to this project.
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

The 7M engine is not that much of a tight fit at all, and I think the 1HZ 4.2 diesel will be much the same. It is a heavy engine, but with the planned OME suspension it should be no problem at all.

And to pull those 35's, you will need that torque. :wink:

I suspect a 5L 3000D will be 'shallow in the jean pant'.
wombat
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: kaapstad
Vehicle: Legend40 D/C 4x4

Post by wombat »

Probably far too left-field, but I've always had a soft spot for the Perkins 4-236 (made locally as the ADE 236) tractor engine that was fitted to the Series III Land Rovers and 70/80 Series Cruisers in the late 1980s. 55 kW and 243 Nm, so probably not ideal for being in a hurry on the highway or playing in the dunes, but with all that torque it just looooves to crawl. Not sure what they go for these days.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Found this on the community forum:

leonbrink
Member Join Date: Sep 2006

5L in a pre 98 Hilux

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got the 5L (3.0D) fitted to my Hilux. I replaced the 2.4 TD engine that I originally had in. It is worth every cent. The swap was straight forward with no hassles, almost plug and play (pun intended). I had to make no modifications whatsoever on engine brackets, gearbox or anything else. The performance is very good, although it still is somewhat of an donkey. Definitely much stronger than the old engine. Fuel consumption is also very good. I get around 10km/l.
If you want I will take some photos of the engine bay.

Good luck in deciding!

Leon
1985 Hilux 3.0D
ARB, IPF, 31x10.5BFG MT's, Snorkel
Wenslys: ARB Ewenaarslotte, Wenas
http://www.swarthoek.co.za

But he says its still a donkey... if you want pulling power... 1HZ 4.2 Diesel!
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

I started looking a little, and found this one:

"I have a few diesel engines and related goods for sale.

These engines are located in Hyogo Japan. I can and do ship world wide.

1HZ engine only, 110,000 kms. Removed from HZJ7# for replacement with a 1HD-FT. I got this engine from a very nice shop in Kyoto. So nice that I am going back to visit again this week just to make myself feel good. The engine feels tight when you rotate the crank and has a good feel on all cylinders. Later model production with the HAC. Comes with a 24 volt starter. 200,000 yen"

This works out to R12,000.

There is also a host of vouches for this guy on the forum where the above was posted. Go look for yourself:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/ih8mud-com-vend ... -sale.html

Our local engine importers can probably do the same...

I can't wait to do mine, although I will go for the 1HZ-T (turbo diesel)
Last edited by DOELLOOS on Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Leon Brink is a member here as well :wink: 8) 8)
AB vT

Post by AB vT »

Thanks

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”