Finally a dedicated Hilux SFA forum!!

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Finally a dedicated Hilux SFA forum!!

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the initiative (was it piet petoors?) for setting up this forum. About time the Hilux fans got their own forum. (Btw the \history\ link on the home page is incorrect).

I have a 1998 2.4 P D/C (22R engine) which has 150 K on the clock, and I still love it. However, as most of you will agree, the old (standard) Hiluxes are slow, underpowered, thirsty, top heavy, bone jarring etc, and I'm considering fitting another engine. Got some usefull info on :

http://www.toyotadiesel.com

but I still need a lot of info and advice. I always thought the 2L (2.4 diesel) was rather indestructable, seems they are also prone to crack heads. Does this happen to the KZTE as well? (I'm talking "normal" driving below 120 km/h). Also, it seems the 2LT is a popular conversion in the US, even in Aus. Anybody who have done this on this forum, any feedback? Fuel consumption, drivability off-road vs. open road? I also considered fitting a 3L Ford (btw I can get one for R 3.5K) or a 7MGE, but I would like the extra range of a diesel. I don't drive fast, 110 km/h is adequate, but the Hilux is rather heavy with RTT, 100 l water tanks, extra petrol tank and all the camping gear for overlanding trips.

A while ago I saw a SFA Hilux with 3.TD on the back, when I asked the owner what's in there, he had a big smile and said Toyota SA fitted a KZTE on a few SFA'a way back before they decided to fit the 3L (SFA) and 5L (IFS), so he has a factory fitted SFA KZTE!! Anybody knows if this is true? He seemed very happy with his.

I had a 1990 2.2 D/C with an Alpine Turbo, that's where my addiction started, unfortunately had to sell it :cry: .

But keep up the good work, and thanks again.

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Engine

Post by pietpetoors »

Hi Chris
Have you considered the 2700i engine? The 3RZ engine. In my bakkie I get between 7.3 and 8km/l and I drive between 120 and 130km/h.

See http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/4xtech.php
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

3RZ

Post by pietpetoors »

I heard from various people that they easily do 500,000 or more Km on an engine. Wessel's son told me about a Namibian guy who brought his 2700i for a service, it had 780,000km on the clock and the engine has never been opened. Apparently Rand Water Board have several of them with more than 700,000 on the clock and still going strong (said the guy from where I bought mine)
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Piet,

Not really considered the 3RZ yet, but it also seems vialble. I've "heard" that is also not the most economical (what Toy is?), but assuming I do the conversion myself, what costs am I looking at? Any idea how much the importers ask for them? Or a scrap yard? And how will the consumption be @ 110 km/h?

Another consideration for me is the electronics. I know the electronics are much more reliable than 10 years ago, but I don't want to be stranded with a faulty ECU!!

Cheers,

Chris
pietpetoors

3RZ

Post by pietpetoors »

Ja, apparently those engines are very expensive. I know if you pay somebody to do the conversion it can cost you in the region of R35,000

I heard mixed figures on the consumption and I personally think it goes according to the weight of your foot. My best so far with my 2.7 is 8.5km/h and worse 7km/l. Some guys moan that they do not get better than 5.

I must say, staying under 120km/h with it is not very easy. I try my best to stay under 120 to see what my consumption will be, but before you know it you are doing 130 again.
pietpetoors

3RZ

Post by pietpetoors »

And th point I wanted to make was that I heard from some of the 3.o KZTE owner that they also get like 8km/l. So it seems as if there are not much of a difference consumption wise. But, I have not yet used it fully loaded or with the trailer, I am still waiting to experience that shock.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Piet,

The Hilux speedometer over reads quite a bit with standard tyres on. So if it shows 130Km/Hr, you are doing about 7% less than that!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors

Hilux spedo

Post by pietpetoors »

I know, I still want to measure the true thing, but I think with the 31" Coopers I might be closer to the truth than the original ones.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

If I remember correctly, the 31" Coopers do bring it a bit closer, but not all that much, the speedometer still over reads somewhat.

I drove to Carletonville with the GPS last week, but with the way it is mounted, I can't really see the speedometer!

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Chris welcome to the site

If you want more history or info on Hiluxes read here
http://www.brian894x4.com/Hiluxgeneration2.html
http://www.brian894x4.com/FOREIGNTOYOTAMAINPAGE.html
http://www.brian894x4.com
There is even a VW Hilux
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

some info

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

There is a friend of mine down in East London, he has fitted a 5L diesel engine to his Hilux, please contact him 043 7366 149 Gary Miles is his name, he will be able to tell you more about this engine, fuel consumption, if I can remember correctly Gary told me that the engine just bolts straight in, he did not have to even change the engine mountings, but he did have to modify the radiator, not sure about the exhaust, he has had it in his Double Cab Hilux for a while, Gary has a vast amount of knowledge concerning all Hilux bakkies (even more than what I know :wink:
Gary did say that he also gets 8km per liter, but you must remember Gary is close to 70 years old, he does not go racing around in his Hilux.
Phone him :)
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Thanks for all the info and advice. The price I got for a rebuilt 5L was R 22 K IIRC. Imported, 2nd hand KZTE's goes for around R 15 K, 2LT's for R 10.5 K AFAIK. Don't want to spend so much I never get the benfit, and I think I will also reduce the value of my bakkie, so it's a big decision.

A few years ago a colleague of mine had a S/C 2.4 diesel, with Alpine turbo. He was quite happy with it, he talked of 12 km/l best, couldn't remember what speed.

Decisions, decisions...

Cheers,

Chris
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Chris

There is a guy on the 4x4 community forum that has a KZTE fitted to his lux. His forum name is TopHilux Hilton.

I did send him a PM and invited him to join here. If you want to go Diesel that is maybe the best choice of engine but like any diesel they do not like being driven too hard.

I did a 7M-GE conversion to my lux but due to some propblems I blew Head Gasket twice. I desided to now redo the conversion with a new 7MGE engine and enhance it a bit. I wrote a little about my conversion under these threads viewtopic.php?p=600#600 and viewtopic.php?p=605#605
TopHilux Hilton
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: '91 Hilux DC 4x4 3.0L KZTE Eng.

Post by TopHilux Hilton »

Hi Chris.

Ok I'm here...what would you like to know about the KZTE conversion..??

The bellhousing must be changed.
Clutch kit is R4200..!!!!!
The radiator is bigger and longer.
The electronic fuelpump can be swapped with the 3000D's one. (unless you want to fiddle with computer boxes) so then its a mechanical fuelpump and referred to as the KZT and not the KZTE (some people hammer on that... :lol: )

Cant think of anything else right now..but you're welcome to shoot more questions...

Mine is the Prado KZTE (Aliminium head & different Turbo)

Power figures for:

Prado KZTE
85KW
343NM

Hilux KZTE
85KW
315NM

My fuel consumption in the region of 7.5 - 8.5 l/km @ 120km/h @ 2750rpm

The whole conversion set us back +- R30K
A while ago I saw a SFA Hilux with 3.TD on the back, when I asked the owner what's in there, he had a big smile and said Toyota SA fitted a KZTE on a few SFA'a way back before they decided to fit the 3L (SFA) and 5L (IFS), so he has a factory fitted SFA KZTE!! Anybody knows if this is true?
Crapp....never heard that one before... The KZTE only came out in 2000..? after the 3000D was a screw-up...SFA's stopped in 1998...
I think he was pulling your leg... :roll:
1991 Hilux D/Cab 4x4 3.0L KZTE Eng
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Hilton,

Thanks for the respons and the info.

!@#(&* R 4200 for a clutch kit!!!! Is it made of ceramic or Kevlar??? Is the bellhousing the same as the 2L/5L?

I'll have a very good think about the whole thing, I guess the extra torque and power is very nice, but it sure comes at a price. Do you know what ratio diffs your bakkie has: 4.875 or less? (I think the SFA'a had 4.875, (imported diffs)), somebody said the local Gearmax diffs were less?

Cheers,

Chris
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Re: Finally a dedicated Hilux SFA forum!!

Post by Harold »

Glad to see the Hilux has a forum of its own. Never knew it existed until cprinsloo informed me – thanks Chris.
I am a true fan of the Hilux SFA as I have been driving them 100% of the time for the past 20 years. Five Hilux’s and approx 1 million kilometers.
I was in Forestry (now retired) so the Hilux had a rough ride at times.
My first was a 1987 d/c model 2,2 petrol which I finally sold to a local ‘freelance’ tractor mechanic. He still has it and it has now done over 400000km with the original motor - but he says it is beginning to use oil.

I now have, or had two, a 1995 d/cab 2,4(p) and a 1998 s/c 2,4(p)
The 1995 d/c was my wife’s and had just touched 290000km when it was stolen on 3rd May – ‘twas like losing a favourite pet. She is hoping to be the owner of a new 1997 d/c 2,4(p) in a few days time!

My truck, a single cab with a steel canopy, now has 266000 on the clock. This is our touring vehicle and fitted out for camping with a roof top tent and other necessities. The roof-top tent, the racks, etc I made myself. I will post a photograph.

I have always stuck to the original and avoided modifications to engine, transmission, rims & and tyres, expect for an extra leaf in the rear suspension of the s/cab.
Have been using Kubu shocks and my tyre of choice are Firestone ATX 215x15.

The Hilux’s have taken me over a fair chunk of the African hinterland: Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe and most of South Africa.

In all this time I have only twice had what I would call a serious problem; no charge due to a faulty voltage regular and a fuel pump that packed up.

The SFA Hilux is reliable and tough, easy to maintain and work on and best of all inexpensive to run. Treat it with respect and it will take you to hell and back. It is the best 4x4 – not by far, but close-up and hands-on.
Harold
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Hi Harold, and welcome.

I agree with you to keep as close to standard as possible. Sounds like you have lots of stories to tell of your adventures? Pitty abought ZIm and that "dam duiker" Moegoe.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Hi Harold
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you can talk about a lot of experience with your Hiluxes. I hope we will see some photographs soon.
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Hello Harold, it is nice to hear that other people also have a liking to the old single cabs (real workhorses) :wink:

Welcome to this web site and may you have many years of friendship with us all here, please pass on your ideas of repairs that you might have had to do while out on a safari through the various places, what you did, waht plan you made For Andries (N' boer maak n' plan) :wink:

And some pic's as well.
:D
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Harold, glad you joined.

This past holiday we camped at Shakawe Fishing village in Bots, there was a group of about 7 vehicles, of which 5 were the SFA Hiluxes!! Seems it's a family of which the oupa buys the Hiluxe, and then his sons/sons-in-law buys them from him again. Needless to say they are all Hilux fanatics.

I'll post pics later of them, I also try and photograph each and every one I see when on tour.

Cheers,

Chris
SYRON CONVERSIONS

:) It is all in the name Hilux

I was actually wondering the other day about the various old SFA Hilux's that we have here at home in Queenstown, what is their history, who owned them (not worried about their actual peoples names) but what use were they used for and what problems, (if any) did they have, why are they in the condition that they are in.

Yes many questions, but maybe accidents were some of the cause, theft and just general abuse and high milage.

Yes where ever a person travels anywhere through out Africa many of these type of vehicles will be seen and I am sure even for the next 50 years as well.
:)

simoan
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Photos of my 1995 s/cab

Post by Harold »

A few phots of my hilux and the roof top tent - home made.
View at url = http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html
Harold
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Gee Wiz Harold, that is quite a setup you have there. It looks well organized. Do you tour Africa with it? I like the big side door in your canopy! Did you make most of the stuff yourself?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Cool Harold

You must add the URL to your forum signature as well.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Harold,

Great stuff! I bet you have a lot of fun with that rig, and your Hilux certainly seems to be in excellent nick!

-F_D

Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Harold »

Question: Did you make most of the stuff yourself?

A friend, under close supervision, made the rack. The side door/flat was made by a local engineering firm according to my specification. The side flap was the best idea I ever had. No more having to claw your way into the canopy to get what ever you need – if you can find it! Not shown in the photos is a rail that holds three ammo boxes and a 50lt water tank with self-priming SureFlo pump.
The tent, our own design, was sewn by my wife Libby on her Bernina which now has a permanent bearing knock. Unlike all others it does not fold in half. It is 2,1m long, 1,5m wide, and when erected, (think what you like); it is 1,3m at the apex.
Because it does not fold we have a wonderful comfy thick mattress and can leave other bulky items in the tent. We have experienced the most extreme weather conditions except for hail and heavy snow. A great advantage is the access to the tent via the back veranda. Once at Mana we took our chairs up onto the back veranda and watched elephant all around us. Had I been drinking a martini the elephant would probably have taken the olive out of my glass.

I am a lazy camper and the PT of taking hours to set up camp is a NO, NO! For us it takes approximately 10 minutes to set up and take down. The only other items that come out of the vehicle are our chairs & camp table.

Harold
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Cool Herold

This is really great. I am truly impressed to see you guys made your own ten. I also what to get rigged like that ( 10 min setup) but for now had to settle for a offroad trailer with RTT which takes us about 30 minutes to setup or break down and pack up, because we still have two little ones being almost 2 and 4. So for now we have to take a lot of exta stuff with when we go camping.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Really cool outfit :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Harold,

That is how a touring vehicle should look like!!

Cheers,

Chris
Kean smit
Vehicle: Toyota 1994

Post by Kean smit »

Im looking to buy this toyota 1981 .
Engine is a ford V6
Needs minor mechanical tlc and major interior tlc .
Runs 100% , also missing a tailgate.

Is paying R50000 for this reasonable, or what would you suggest is a reasonable offer i can put in.?
Attachments
IMG-20231005-WA0045.jpg
IMG-20231006-WA0090.jpg
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

That needs a bit of work but those models are as tough as tanks. People who own them will not want to sell them. Spares might now be a problem but there is a facebook SFA group that might be able to assist with spares, unfortunately I do not have that link so hopefully someone else can chip in here.

-F_D

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Those are like hen's teeth. If it's running and the electrics are not too much of a hack job and NO rust, then 50k is very reasonable!
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

R50k is actually cheap!

The Ford V6 is the cheapest R/kw. There are still a lot of knowledge on these engine out there. Body spares can be problematic but between Ultimate 4x4 and Living SFA you should find what you need, bar a tailgate.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”