The ultimate hilux question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux

The ultimate hilux question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by michael01 »

Hay guys ok so here goes with my ultimate Hilux question.

I have a 95 SFA pretty good shape, done a Body lift, Extension shakles, front off-road bull bar with winch, Mags, Modified raised rear bumper, Canvas canopy, Stainless steel tank...... There are some more things but all together it makes a pretty nice package that i been working on.

Now here's the problem, i hardly drive it cos its just so heavy on fuel, and i have picked up a couple of small problems that when i get time need to be attended too....

Well the wife thinks that maybe i should leave my baby as it is for the next year or so then look at replacing her, with something newer, more economical, maybe something i could even use for work (i do about 4000km a month) she like the Disco 4....... :o:

Well after reading some of the posts of the guys that have been restoring their beloved machine's it got me thinking..... Do a agree and get something less hardcore 4x4 ( i admit i don't do as much boarder crossing s i would like too) but will be a pleasure to drive and still be able to use when i do venture off-road? Or do i look at maybe spending the money and making this my ultimate allround car? I mean the biggest thing stopping me from using it more is the engine ( underpowered)+(heavy on fuel) and it needs some modernizing ;) like paint job, HID lights, suspension, new motor........

I mean what are you guys spending on these refurbs? and is there someone that i could take my 4x4 to that will be able to turn out those types of results?

I know this might seem like a easy question to some but really, think of it this way the wife is even kinda saying that she will be the one footing the bill for the disco and i have to admit its a nice car and does really well off-road, but my SFA has a special place in my heart and if i can realistically do the work to her and its not gonna land up costing more than say R150 000 I am really keen.

So if i do this what advise can you guys give (possible) engine, Work that i should think of doing, person to get the work done at.....

again thanks for the help
ImageImageImageImage
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Re: The ultimate hilux question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Hi-Hilux »

n Hilux replace met 'n LR?? Dis dalk hoekom nog niemand reply het nie! Why not go for 2.5 or 3.0 D4D?
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Michael, you'll be stirring up a hornet's nest with the suggestion of a Disco... :mrgreen"

The Hilux SFA is becoming scarce and if you have a good one, keep it! Pimp her up a bit, but don't do something you'll regret later!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by michael01 »

thought i would get some interesting answers, and also ideas as to what other guys would do to the hilux.

also where to get something like this done. I saw another post where it was said that it cost about R14 000 for a respray and changing the colour which sounds pretty good to me, then just a couple of system upgrades and the big thing is engine! what would give the right consumption for everyday as well as power for weekend fun?

But yea though this might get me kicked out the hilux circle......
ImageImageImageImage
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

You can go with BIG POWER Lexus or 7GM or Efi the 4Y.
michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by michael01 »

Louis do you really think they will give the right consumption? to be honest this motor thing is my biggest concern......

If its gonna be a daily driver that's the biggest concern.. maybe larger diesel motor?????
ImageImageImageImage
IISARGE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: brackenhurst ext2
Vehicle: 2700i 4x2 hilux

Post by IISARGE »

i think you mit be making a mistak it is not an easy chose to make you will no what to do :confused: :think: :think:
Piece of Cake...!
ImageImage
michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by michael01 »

That's why i put the question out there.........

I am also looking for someone in the JHB area that i can get to make me up new door panels as the current ones have the holes in where the old speakers were. I am leaning towards the restore option but need to work on prices and what the end product will be. As i said before i want to still be able to use it as daily really tried of having it and it just sitting under the carport and getting used cos if i must be honest its had 2 new battery's as the keep going way way flat.
ImageImageImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

You already have a nice van with many things you have done to it. You're not going to realize that value in cash if you sell it .... you WILL be the loser, and in more ways than one! Believe me you will live to regret it!

Your main concern as I understand it is the power / consumption issue and an EFI conversion will help a lot to improve that, but in terms of the cost by comparison to a 7MGE conversion, I think you might be better off with the bigger fuel injected motor. (IMO It's cheaper than a Lexus V8 ... to buy, to install, to run and maintain).

After that it all boils down to driving style .... how you apply that extra power. The tendency is to use that extra intestinal fortitude ... and feel that extra surge, sink back in the seats a little on pull off, show that Golf GTI next to you on the road that you're no slouch, but that's where the potential savings are lost. It might even be the same scenario with a more powerful modern vehicle ..... under a heavy foot.

Even though it was built like a brick, I could and did achieve figures like 10 to 11 km/.lit on the open road with the old 2.2 with standard carb, and in the region of 7 to 8 km/lit in town which is not too bad for a 4x4, even in current day terms. I am hopelessly at a loss to achieve that on the 2.4 at the moment, but I understand where all the issues are that prevent it ... I'm working on it and will get it right in time.

If you look at it purely from a number crunching aspect, take into account what you will get for your SFA, what you will pay for the replacement vehicle you choose plus what you will spend to 'bring it up to scratch' .... take that difference and calculate how many kilos you would have to drive before the cost is justified .... can't be done in your lifetime. So in your shoes I would stay with the SFA .... spend the little extra on suspension, re-spray / bodywork and motor conversion if you decide to go along with it, and enjoy the excellent vehicle you already have. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

michael01 wrote:That's why i put the question out there.........

I am also looking for someone in the JHB area that i can get to make me up new door panels as the current ones have the holes in where the old speakers were. I am leaning towards the restore option but need to work on prices and what the end product will be. As i said before i want to still be able to use it as daily really tried of having it and it just sitting under the carport and getting used cos if i must be honest its had 2 new battery's as the keep going way way flat.
Just fit some cheapy speakers back into those holes if you don't intend using them .... cheaper than new panels, and can look good. Otherwise put in something decent and upgrade your sound system ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

I agree with Mud Dog!
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

SFA might be the ultimate for some, BUT unfortunately it can not match any modern vehicle regarding dynamics, consumption, confort or safety.

Why not keep the SFA as a toy and get a daily runner that is more practical?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I agree with Andy whole heartedly. Just remember this. Doing an engine conversion to save fuel is never ever a good idea. For a few reasons:

• You'll have to drive a LOT of km's before you start getting a return on your investment. In your case quite a few years.
Y• ou wont drive it sensibly if you have all that power under your right foot. Ask me, ask Swartvark ask anybody who "has the power" you will use it and bang goes the consumption.
• Conversions are not for the feint of heart. There are too many niggles and frustrations to deal with. You need to be sure you can handle the frustration of fixing and tweaking.
• Conversions costs 33% more than originally budgeted, and always takes 2 times as long to complete.

I know many many guys who did engine conversions, then after 2 years just when they got all the niggles sorted, they sell the vehicle, because they're gatvol of struggling with it. Those are the "next guy's bargains". I am a survivor of many engine conversions, and I am about to do another one in the next year. I dont know why I do it, maybe I'm just a sucker for punishment... but man, having a vehicle that is unique is just SO rewarding... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville Cape Town
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4x4 4.0 Auto D/C, 185a/h Dual Battery Sistem, 1500w inverter

Post by tersmit »

Ek het al self oorweeg om 'n V8 Disco aan te skaf :D:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Get the Disco - as a "plat kar".

Then get the SFA ready as a real off road "toy".

Will probalby still be cheaper than getting the Disco and getting at ready for "overlanding", never mind real off road stuff ...... (stir stir...)
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Michael,

Like all says it depends how you drive the 4Y Efi will give ave about 8.6-9km/lt if you drive mildly, down to 6-7km/lt if you drive it like a Golf GTi.

Then diesel conversions one can look at the 2LT motors cost about R15000, nice power or I also hear they install the 2.5lt Ford diesel motors that work nice to conversion time and not that much mods.

Diesel will give you about 9-11km/lt depends on driving style again.
michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by michael01 »

Hmmmm guys you have given me a lot to think about....... :problem:

I think if i had to mess with the engine it would be a toss up between the Toyota 2.7 of that ford 2.5d, gonna start shopping around looking at prices for fixing her up and decide from there, as not the type of decisions i can make over night.

I also think one biggest thing i gotta take into consideration is that the SFA is mine i don't owe the bank a cent so why go get myself in such big debt on something that I'll still need to convert to overland.
ImageImageImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I also think one biggest thing i gotta take into consideration is that the SFA is mine i don't owe the bank a cent so why go get myself in such big debt on something that I'll still need to convert to overland.
Correct! :thumbup: :thumbup:

scooby
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: hilux 4x4

Post by scooby »

Tend to agree with the fact that the SFA is becoming limited and scarce.My buddy had the same vehicle & colour and regrets selling it.Crying every day when he sees one.Conversions - stay away.just do the cylinder head etc.If the wife is paying for the landy.let she drive it. :)
ImageImageImage
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

pls dont take this wrong way!!

prob number 1!!
wife want a landy!! and she say she will foot the bill!!
as on previous posts!! let her get one, keep the hilux!! if you part with it, you will regret it!!

as for the extra power, as has been said!!
a bigger motor will be lighter on fuel!!
Jeep 4.7 V8 easily gets over 10km/l on the open road!!
that power is addictive, it starts with an idiot if front of you who is on a sunday drive on a monday morning, one boot of the pedal and wow that was easy and great!!
check this guys with his diesel 4x4 (not to mention the pocket rockets at the lights) will show him what a petrol motor does!!
and there goes the fuel consumption, back to what a slower underpowered vehicle has!!
yes with the benefit of getting something back for that heavy fuel consumption, witch makes the fuel bill more bearable/acceptable!!

am I saying dont do a conversion!! hell no!! am just saying this is how we little kids work!!
benefit of an engine conversion!!
money is spent the 1st time round!!
will use the lexus V8 example, on a DIY 35k will have it done!!
when something goes wrong, for 8k its been replaced!! for 8k one cant even redo a V6 properly!!

you know what you have!! keep the hilux and get something else, and to keep it running use it once a week, that is what we do with the Jeep and the 4X4

other point also maid!!
the Hilux is paid for!!

if you keep the hilux, and you take it offroad, and you break it, and a Ford tows you home :laugh2:
you are not stuck for transport, and can sort it out with time!! no pressure of being short of wheels!!
or when the landy breaks, you can say to the wife, see the old trustworthy Hilux!!

good luck with making the right choice for you!! :beach: :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

Keep the Hilux.

Even a newer 4x4 could end up giving you more hassels. Rather sort out your SFA.

Deon
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

Okay my 2CW

- it's paid for so keep it, you will regret selling it
- if the engine is still good - EFI it
- fit OME / Mikem suspension
- fit lekker MT's tyres onto those mags
- respray to LC beige
- upgrade the sound system to fit the holes or any decent upholster should be able to make you new panels.
- fit a small fridge next to the drivers seat so that you've always got cold beer and don't have to rush thus saving fuel.
- buy a little Fiesta or something for the week and drive the bakkie on weekends. I drive a Subaru STI and can't wait to drive my Hilux on weekends, I even sneak in a drive during the week sometimes.

- thumbsuck to do the above will probably be around 50k-60k and you'll have a vehicle that goes everywhere and beyond that where most modern vehicles go. If you do scratch or bump the vehicle it's a lot easier to swallow the bitter pill than if you do that to a new 500k -700k vehicle.

Then you can start with things like Alucab canopy, decent drawer system, rooftop, etc and all of a sudden you have a decent overlanding / play toy for around 130k-150k all in including the bakkie's worth.

If the missus is still insistant on the Disco, then let me know and I'll ensure that your SFA gets a good loving new home.

Good luck with the decisions.
Scott
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

- it's paid for so keep it, you will regret selling it
- if the engine is still good - EFI it
- fit OME / Mikem suspension
- fit lekker MT's tyres onto those mags
- respray to LC beige
- upgrade the sound system to fit the holes or any decent upholster should be able to make you new panels.
- fit a small fridge next to the drivers seat so that you've always got cold beer and don't have to rush thus saving fuel.
- buy a little Fiesta or something for the week and drive the bakkie on weekends. I drive a Subaru STI and can't wait to drive my Hilux on weekends, I even sneak in a drive during the week sometimes.

Exactly as has been done to Bulldog! :)

All that I have missing from the above are the Mag wheels, they certainly look nice but I will end up spraying my Pro-Whites to Charcoal or Black one of these days! ;)

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by michael01 »

Well still got the whole situation on my mind but pretty sure i am going to keep it :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I like the option you have all given, think i would really like to see your 4x4 Family dog. Sounds like a awesome truck!

Now I'll start working on the little things, and get the money together for the big plans, Suspension, Engine he he
ImageImageImageImage
bosjakkals
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: 97 Hilux SFA ,31 BF's, Bullbar,Warn winch, Hunting frame, 2 spare wheels, Long range tank, High lift jack, Gearmax rear locker diff, Suspension unknown but very soft)

Post by bosjakkals »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Good idea :clap: :clap: :clap:
03 - Cruiser 105 GX
97 - Hilux 2.4 D/C -
05 - Pajero 3.2 DID SWB ( Ma se kar)
01-Prado 3.0 d (Gesien -Geniet - GEROL))
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Michael, here are a couple of snaps of Bulldog:

Bulldog Logo.jpg
Firstly, introducing the Foreman...
Firstly, introducing the Foreman...
P1010473.JPG (61.94 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
The Rear Speaker Pods
The Rear Speaker Pods
P1010471.JPG (47.91 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
The front door Pods
The front door Pods
P1010475.JPG (53.17 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Cooper 31" STT Mud Tyres
Cooper 31" STT Mud Tyres
ARB Front Bumper
ARB Front Bumper
Burnco Rear Bumper with SWC
Burnco Rear Bumper with SWC
Burnco Bumper 002-Resize.jpg (100.75 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
"Fridge" between front seats, doubles as Arm Rest when closed
"Fridge" between front seats, doubles as Arm Rest when closed
Hilux, 4y 008 Coolbox Closed Small.jpg (76.31 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
4Y engine with EFI Conversion
4Y engine with EFI Conversion
Land Cruiser Beige (Code 4E9) and OME suspension
Land Cruiser Beige (Code 4E9) and OME suspension

Definitely a combination worth having and no way I would even consider selling Bulldog!

-F_D

michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by michael01 »

I got the that shame fridge/cooler between my seats too! Man that truck is only neat. Well maybe with a lot of hard work i can get it there too...

Does anyone have the number for the person that can do the spray painting job? And do i need to get the dents sorted out first? Cant remember who posted the info but it was for R14 000

Also i am looking for a auto elec to do some work on the Lux, also i read before about installing a relay to get the brights on the car to work if they have stopped but your spots still work, well i went to a place today and asked them about this and they told me this wont work and i am mad to try this as they would have to rewire from the ignition to the lights seems like either i said it wrong or these guys just trying to do there own thing.

When it comes to engine or EFI i will speak to Louis as his work and professionalism was something i will never forget, (lets not forget the Sunday lunch that can with it) ..... :tongue: :tongue:

Last is a auto upholster that i will try google tonight, unless someone can suggest????

thanks again guys
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”