D4D 3.0 Clutch "STINKS"

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4 AT extended cab.
Club VHF Licence: X84

D4D 3.0 Clutch "STINKS"

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

So I know that some clever oke will tell me I burnt the clutch or somethink like that but this is not the case. I have only done 19000 km and every so often I will smell this really awfull smell from the clutch. This was even more so when reversing with a trailer or when taking a little strain but nothing that should be near what it takes to burn a clutch. (which can be done very quickly).

So the 20k service comes up and I mention it to the dealers expecting them to clam up and tell me that I burnt the clutch or something. I tell them as it is, The clutch stinks but really stinks, it is not slipping in any way nor has it ever slipped as would be expected with a clutch that has burnt. I tell them to take it for a test drive and check for themselves.

I did not see them take it for a drive. But 10 to 15 min later they tell me that they already have approval to replace the clutch kit and the flywheel. :o: :o:

Now I am not complaining about this execilent service or there commitement. I was just expecting a LOT more SH one T from them.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem as I get the feeling that this might of happened before hence the quick approval.

I will keep this post updated as the clutch kit and flywheel will be replaced next week Thursday. I will also keep the dealers name to myself until he has finished. Then I will give credit where credit is due. Even so far the whole approch from them has been excellent.

Would really like to know if anyone else has had this problem
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: D4D 3.0 Clutch "STINKS"

Post by OOOOMS »

Barry perhaps your wife burnt the clutch...and not you... :tease: :tease: :tease:

Just kidding :wink2:

Yes, I do believe Toy have a problem as we have had a similar problem with the 3.0 D4D man. On 40k I complained about a sorta screetching intermittent problem. They replace I think the fly wheel (not quite sure now) never the less, the problem noise went away.

I towed an off-road trailer about 2 months later and felt the clutch slipping badly. Took it back to Toy and they replaced everything, no fuss.

My BIL has had 2 clutches replaced on his SC D4D 4x4, but he also I may add, drives like a hooligan.....!

There are also other threads pertaining to the D4D clutch issue on the forum somewhere :wink2:
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Got my bakkie back and no more stinky smelling clutch. The dealer did not tell me what they found wrong only that it has been repaired.
Must say well done to Secunda Toyota for the work done on my bakkie and also there attitude towards me and the problem. :clap: :clap:

They also re-aligned the load bin as It was found that the left hand side had moved back about 10mm. (Measured between the cab and the load bin) :shock:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Probably replaced the clutch. Good to hear it's been sorted! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

I thought that the clutch was fixed but we just returned from a 30 day Namibia trip and the new clutch was doing exactly the same as the old one. The bakkie has now got 40K km on the clock. If it has to do a little work then it stinks as if I am riding on the clutch. We took it back to the Dealers and once again they changed the clutch, pressure plate and fly wheel. They say that there was a batch that had a problem and that they could of replaced the first clutch with one of them.

Once again no problem from the dealer, really only good service. It takes me a while to discover the problems as I only use the bakkie every three months.

Hope this will help someone who has a similar problem. Take it back before the guarantee runs out.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

You sure the smell you are smelling is not the catalytic converter?
To God be the glory
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Sure..its the clutch
ATH
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Hilux 2.5 D-4D SRX 4x4

Post by ATH »

If they are replacing without hassle on a regular basis that is good but the downside is the inconvenience to you. Hope that the newest parts go the distance. :thumbup:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Wonder if this can be related, this guy have a problem on 17,000km and thinks it might be release bearing.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Brand
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by Brand »

Also replaced my clutch on 33k
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Be glad they are replacing it so freely.

Paying for that clutch is a major dent in the budget. R7,7k was what I was quoted 18months ago, and had it done at Astro Brake and Clutch for R3,3k.

Know what you don't know.
CMK
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Ficksburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3L D4D 4x4

Post by CMK »

Sorry, If I hijack your thread, and sorry if it have been asked before. But I have a problem with the 3L D4D Hilux regarding Pull away on up hills in 2x4 or 4x4 high range. The problem is only getting bigger when towing a trailer. I have to drive on the clutch to pull away. Don't think this is sustainable in the long run. Any-one with a solution?
CM Kotze
Fred79
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kent UK
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Icon 2.4

Post by Fred79 »

Hi daar,

Toyota het my bakkie se clutch nou die week vervang. Hy het van nuuts af so half 'n "shutter" gehad as ek wegtrek maar dit het my nie veel gepla nie tot hy ook nou die naweek so bietjie begin stink het. Gelukkig vir my het my buurman vir Toyota gewerk en na een oproep is die cutch vervang sonder enige vra of probleme. Ek is maar bly dit is nou gedoen want sy waarborg hardloop einde Januarie uit.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”