Danger of Bush Fires

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Danger of Bush Fires

Post by Harold »

Listening to the news today and hearing of the tragedy of a Johannesburg couple burnt to death; absolutely horrific, but it could possibly have been avoided.
During the fire season always carry a box of matches with you, in your car and on your person. If you find yourself in the life threatening situation where you cannot escape a fire headed in your direction simply light a match and start a fire where you are. The wind will take the fire away from you, and while the front of the fire burns ferociously the back of the fire, where you are, will be burning against the wind and will be smaller - so much so that you could cross the fire line into the burnt area thereby getting into an area already burnt by the fire you started. Once safely into the burnt area either follow the fire front, or if the smoke is to bad, lie down and wrap a covering over your face, preferably a wet covering. Believe me this strategy works – it saved my life once.
Never try to drive your through a fire! You stand a good chance of being burnt alive. Your vehicle is not your best defence – probably your worst!

Always try to get into the lee of a hill, slope, reservoir, building, culvert, etc. Also try to get to an area where the grass is the shortest. This will also be the best place to start your own back-burn. If there is a ploughed land close by this will be the place to go.

In the summer rainfall area we are entering the most dangerous part of the fire season, which will last until the first good rains. So if you are to embark on an excursion into the country give a lot of though about surviving the danger of wild fires.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Re: Danger of Bush Fires

Post by Cookie Monster »

Thanks for the good advice Harold. I am just thankfull I have not ended up in a position like that :!: Maybe some time you could share your story with us :?: :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: Danger of Bush Fires

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

I agree fully with you about carrying a box of matches on and in your vehicle, I have a box in the cubby hole and as well in the door panel slot, people have also asked me why do I carry these matches, I just tell them this story and they laugh at me, well done for sharing this info with the rest of the people.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”