Towing a ski boat and overlanding- What to choose?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Trigg's broom
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Epsom
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4wd Single cab. 2007 DC 4.0l V6

Towing a ski boat and overlanding- What to choose?

Post by Trigg's broom »

Hi Guys

I am sitting in the UK and in the process of retiring the '88 SFA, single cab, 2.2 petrol to Mozambique. I travel regularly to our place in Moz and need to keep a vehicle in Nelspruit for this purpose. The vehicle needs to be:
1. Reliable, simple and safe for the ghastly Moxambique roads
2. Be able to tow a 21ft ski boat and launch it in deep, soft sand
3. Be able to transport passengers and be adapted for the occassional overlanding trip

I have managed all of the above with the Hilux until now, but as tough as it is, it cannot satisfy all the criteria. I figure that I need a decently powered DC or SW, in manual that relies on the minimal amount of electronic wizardry. I, of course considered the 3.0 D4D vehicles, until I read about the problems of varying qualities of diesel in southern Africa. Then I considered the V6 petrol Hilux or Fortuna, only to find that all the later models are auto! The Land Cruiser 4.5l DC conversion was a possibility, but it would take a brave man to drive through Mozambique regularly without airbags. This leaves me with the choice of a +/- 2008 V6 Hilux DC/Fortuna or a 2006 LC 100 GX 4.5l EFI as far as I can establish. My budget can extend to approximately 350 000 and I had honestly thought that I would have a range of later model vehicles to choose from that were not unmanageably heavy on fuel. As it turns out I have very few vehicles to choose from and they all seem to have had multiple or, worse, an unknown number of previous owners and poor service histories.

Am I missing a trick here guys? Are the stories of 500ppm diesel vs 50ppm overhyped? I am at my wits end and desperately need the input of my learned fellow club members.

All advice much appreciated.

Martin
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Towing a ski boat and overlanding- What to choose?

Post by george »

Hi Martin.
i would seriously consider a diesel.Petrol is just so expensive in Moz.The D4D should be excellent for your aplication. Just put an extra racor filter in.My2C
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

What about a Prado? Why do you exclude automatic gearboxes? I think the auto will make towing quite easy, and an auto in sand is only a pleasure.

You can get a decent Prado in the range of R250 k, and then could use the other R100k for petrol :twisted:
Trigg's broom wrote:Hi Guys

I am sitting in the UK and in the process of retiring the '88 SFA, single cab, 2.2 petrol to Mozambique. I travel regularly to our place in Moz and need to keep a vehicle in Nelspruit for this purpose. The vehicle needs to be:
1. Reliable, simple and safe for the ghastly Moxambique roads
2. Be able to tow a 21ft ski boat and launch it in deep, soft sand
3. Be able to transport passengers and be adapted for the occassional overlanding trip

I have managed all of the above with the Hilux until now, but as tough as it is, it cannot satisfy all the criteria. I figure that I need a decently powered DC or SW, in manual that relies on the minimal amount of electronic wizardry. I, of course considered the 3.0 D4D vehicles, until I read about the problems of varying qualities of diesel in southern Africa. Then I considered the V6 petrol Hilux or Fortuna, only to find that all the later models are auto! The Land Cruiser 4.5l DC conversion was a possibility, but it would take a brave man to drive through Mozambique regularly without airbags. This leaves me with the choice of a +/- 2008 V6 Hilux DC/Fortuna or a 2006 LC 100 GX 4.5l EFI as far as I can establish. My budget can extend to approximately 350 000 and I had honestly thought that I would have a range of later model vehicles to choose from that were not unmanageably heavy on fuel. As it turns out I have very few vehicles to choose from and they all seem to have had multiple or, worse, an unknown number of previous owners and poor service histories.

Am I missing a trick here guys? Are the stories of 500ppm diesel vs 50ppm overhyped? I am at my wits end and desperately need the input of my learned fellow club members.

All advice much appreciated.

Martin
Trigg's broom
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Trigg's broom »

Thanks Jaco, I have considered the Prado, but I don't really know the vehicle. I am very much a man who likes to manually lock hubs, engage low range, lock diffs etc. I was under the impression the Prado does all of that for you and if the system fails while in the boonies......
My worry with the auto transmission is the extrememly difficult, steep beach launch/retrieval I have to contend with. I am constantly "feathering" the clutch to prevent getting bogged down. With an auto does one just engage DRIVE and cruise out?

George, if it is as easy as fitiing an extra filter, then the world is my oyster. Excuse my ignorance, but I assume the filter deals with the 500ppm diesel and thus saves the injectors. Is it as simple as that?
Digger
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: nelspruit
Vehicle: d4d d/c

Post by Digger »

martin,buy yourself an 80/100 series vx in moz(jap import+15/30k US)you wil never look back :thumbup:
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

The only problem I have with auto's is to drive down very steep declines, and hopefully someone can share a few tips on that. With a manual, you put it in low range first, and feather the brakes when needed. My wife's Prado has a L option on the auto, but with low range selected, it is still way to fast for me - or I need to practice a bit more.

I am quite impressed with the Prado. The "hubs" are permanently locked, but you have a center diff that you lock with a gear when you select high range or low range. This is quite manual, and not much that can go wrong when down in the boonies. I once was a passenger in a double cab 4x4 of another make, where you select 4wd with a switch. Yes, and that day the electronics did let us down, and we couldn't do the trail as we could not select 4x4. So yes, I share your concern, but in my opinion the Prado has a much smaller probability to give you hassles, since the center diff is still selected manually.
Trigg's broom wrote:Thanks Jaco, I have considered the Prado, but I don't really know the vehicle. I am very much a man who likes to manually lock hubs, engage low range, lock diffs etc. I was under the impression the Prado does all of that for you and if the system fails while in the boonies......
My worry with the auto transmission is the extrememly difficult, steep beach launch/retrieval I have to contend with. I am constantly "feathering" the clutch to prevent getting bogged down. With an auto does one just engage DRIVE and cruise out?

George, if it is as easy as fitiing an extra filter, then the world is my oyster. Excuse my ignorance, but I assume the filter deals with the 500ppm diesel and thus saves the injectors. Is it as simple as that?
Trigg's broom
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Trigg's broom »

Digby, just when I am reconsidering the D4D instead of the LC, a D4D owner suggests the LC! I see you are from Nelspruit; have you, or do you know of anyone who has, bought a Moz vehicle and imported it into SA? Unfortunately the new vehicle is to stay in Nelspruit for transport to our site. The Hilux SFA will stand on site in Moz.

Jaco, your endorsement will definitely have me checking the used Prado ads. Thanks for the prompt advice.
Digger
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: nelspruit
Vehicle: d4d d/c

Post by Digger »

martin,no you cant import to sa from moz(not that I know of)hard to find a better towing/overlanding vehicle better than 80/100 series cruisers,luv my d4 but not in the same league(probably get stoned for this :angel: )had 80 gx/vx's prior to the lux and changed to the dble cab for other reasons.trust me ,if you're going to tow a heavy boat,get a cruiser,station wagon not a pickup, :thumbup: my 2 cents
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

But I guess if you have an address in Moz you can register it in Moz and use it in SA

If you pay that little for a Cruiser the fuel consumption does not matter
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Trigg's broom
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Trigg's broom »

I think you are stuck with a Temporary Import Permit for only 30 days each time you bring it into SA, in much the same way as when you take your SA vehicle into Moz.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Ok, time for a cat amongst the pigeons:

Consider a Nissan Patrol 4.8GL(manual) or GRX(Tiptronic)

For the same year as the Cruiser you will find it either R100k cheaper or 100k km less or, if you are patient, both!

Both the Patrol and Cruiser will not easily give you more than 5km/l.

Oh, and the Patrol has 190kw vs 165...and bulletproof diffs, gearbox, etc. Also way less prone to get stolen/highjacked! Cruisers and especially Hilux'e and Fortuners get nicked quite often, especially so close to the border...
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Trigg's broom
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Trigg's broom »

The Patrol has a huge reputation in Australia and Zimbabwe. Are there many available in SA's used car market? I will start trawling.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Unfortunately the Patrol does not have a huge following in SA, but there are a few for sale. Take your time and shop around!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”