What to look out for when buying a 2001 Hilux 2.7

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux V6

What to look out for when buying a 2001 Hilux 2.7

Post by Kykdaar »

Going to have a look at one tomorrow in JHB

What should i look out for?

I do not know the 2.7 so any help will be appreciated.
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Re: What to look out for when buying a 2001 Hilux 2.7

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Andre, the engine is pretty bulletproof, if it runs smooth and sounds ok, it should be ok.

Climb underneath and check the propshaft, check for play in the centre bearing and universals. Check both front brake disks, if they are scored, uneven surface, they'll probably need replacing, the underside of a vehicle can tell you if it's been abused. Dings, oil leaks etc.

Take it for a test drive, make sure it shifts through all 5 gears smoothly, lock the front hubs, engage 4x4 and see if you can climb a small embankment, it should pull with both sets of wheels, if the rear starts to spin, and nothing in front, the 4x4 might be faulty.

Check everything, central locking, radio, immobilizer etc, parts are quite expensive, so don't let the seller tell you otherwise.

T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kykdaar »

Thanks Tony :thumbup:
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

Maak soos Tony gesê het,,,almal kyk altyd na bakwerk reg rondom, maar kyk nooit wat gaan op die dak aan nie party roofracks jaag lekker akkies aan... :thumbup:
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

Post by yotaman »

If all checks out as advised, buy it. Good solid trucks :thumbup:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
Polarbear2008
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Yes, I agree with Tony.

Remeber that the rear diff lock only works in low range, so find a stop of sand and engage low range (lock the front diffs) and press the diff lock button. The light should flash a few times and then engage. If it carries on flashing, there are issues.

Also make sure that the bakkie is driven on a stretch of gravel with 4x4 engaged and listen for diff noises front and rear.

Drive it up a few medium hills and accelerate up the hill - watch the heat gauge, it should not lift higher.

Check if the bakkie stands level as the rear leaves tend to sag. Also check the interior seats for tears and cigarette marks. A car's seats can tell you a lot about how it was kept.

These are just a few things I would check.

I agree that if all checks out its a good solid truck.
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kykdaar »

Went to have a look

The steering stabiliser (hope i am describing it right) was leaking oil down the shaft towards the balljoint where it joinsvwith the right-side pitman arm.

Moisture on the inside of the front left wheel - either brake fluid or diff oil?

Driving under 110km/hr all is smooth and quiet. If you put foot and take it over 120 in fith a vibration/rumble can be felt and heard below one's feet towards the centre of the cab. How do one know whether it is centre bearing, or prop or something else?
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

Kykdaar wrote:Went to have a look

The steering stabiliser (hope i am describing it right) was leaking oil down the shaft towards the balljoint where it joinsvwith the right-side pitman arm.

Moisture on the inside of the front left wheel - either brake fluid or diff oil?

Driving under 110km/hr all is smooth and quiet. If you put foot and take it over 120 in fith a vibration/rumble can be felt and heard below one's feet towards the centre of the cab. How do one know whether it is centre bearing, or prop or something else?
When I bought my one 3 years ago, I insisted that the seller took the hilux to the AA. According to him all was fine with the truck and he agreed and took it for the test. When the results came back, he had to sort out the front cranck seal and there was some other small issues all for his account. It was repaired and the AA past the truck and so it became my baby. Love my 2.7. Good luck with your hunt for a good one, they are out there. Be patient and NO my one is not for sale. :lol:
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Andre, you haven't disclosed the price. If the seller wants below trade, you can afford to do a little fixing, however if the seller wants above retail, an AA mechanical report is the way to go.

Depending on your budget, my 2005 Legend 35 may be in the market shortly, I'm toying with the idea of buying a FJ Cruiser.

T
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kykdaar »

Legend35-ZN wrote:Andre, you haven't disclosed the price. If the seller wants below trade, you can afford to do a little fixing, however if the seller wants above retail, an AA mechanical report is the way to go.

Depending on your budget, my 2005 Legend 35 may be in the market shortly, I'm toying with the idea of buying a FJ Cruiser.

T
Hi Tony,

I also reasoned that way - pay more for an immaculate bakkie, or pay less and leave room for repairs.

The price in this case was more han R130K which left me no room to maneuvre as to any further repair bills. I also said to the seller that because thereof i would require an AA report to quantify and determine the cost of repairs.

Your 2005 will probably be out of my league, but please give me a heads up before you put it on te open market. One never knows.
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Kykdaar »

Gideonvanzyl wrote:
Kykdaar wrote:Went to have a look

When I bought my one 3 years ago, I insisted that the seller took the hilux to the AA. According to him all was fine with the truck and he agreed and took it for the test. When the results came back, he had to sort out the front cranck seal and there was some other small issues all for his account. It was repaired and the AA past the truck and so it became my baby. Love my 2.7. Good luck with your hunt for a good one, they are out there. Be patient and NO my one is not
for sale. :lol:
:D: seems all the nice trucks are in the WC at the moment.

There is so many possible Issues with a 4x4 that an AA test is the right way to go. Problem is that there is always someone else that will buy it blindly. As far as the IFS is concerned it is always a seller's market :boss:
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Andre, my Legend 35 is mint, I've spent 40k on it ( all invoices on file) getting it into near showroom condition.

It has new Cooper STT tyre's, african outback roof rack,an aluminium canopy, drawer system and winch, I'd probably want around R169k with accessories or R160k without.

If you send me your email address, I'll send you a few pictures.

T
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Pora
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 d4d

Post by Pora »

I'd say look out for the petrol price
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Legend35-ZN wrote:Andre, my Legend 35 is mint, I've spent 40k on it ( all invoices on file) getting it into near showroom condition.

It has new Cooper STT tyre's, african outback roof rack,an aluminium canopy, drawer system and winch, I'd probably want around R169k with accessories or R160k without.

T

I can add to this :thumbup: , well taken of.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Donkey wrote:
Legend35-ZN wrote:Andre, my Legend 35 is mint, I've spent 40k on it ( all invoices on file) getting it into near showroom condition.

T

I can add to this :thumbup: , well taken of.
Thanks Donkey, pictures sent...
2012 Jurgen's Xcape

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”