HILUX FUEL CONSUMPTIONS

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Bugsy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kloof
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

HILUX FUEL CONSUMPTIONS

Post by Bugsy »

To all owners of old Toyota 4x4 petrol Hilux Raiders (1995). What sort of consumptions are you getting? Trying to convince myself to live with my awful consumption - have 150lt petrol long range tank and get +-700km. Are you experiencing the same?
Bugs
Last edited by Bugsy on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

Re: HILUX FUEL CONSUMPTIONS

Post by Toppie4x4 »

Hi Evan, are you referring to pre 1999 models or models between 1999 and 2005? I do have a 2004 2,7 Hilux 4x4, petrol and with a normal tank (tank capacity +- 70 litre) most I've ever used was 71 litre after the warning light was on for quite some time. Distance on one tank never less than 435km. On open road between 480km and 510km. Currently busy installing a long range tank, was fitted yesterday, will do the piping next weekend. This will give me +- 130 litres.
african dust
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Seychelles + Montagu
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 4x4 22R LTD. Land cruiser FJ60, 1981, old and tough. Prado 150 vx v6.

Post by african dust »

ride is gentle and one can sort of endure the fuel consumption ( around 7-8 km/l) ride it hard and I think the pain is too much to endure. My experience is ride it slow and enjoy the ride.
700km on 150lts seems on the high side but it all depends on the riding style. I ride a 1998 hilux sfa dc ltd 22R engine.
Bugsy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Bugsy »

Yes my is a 1995 petrol
Bugsy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Bugsy »

Forgot to mention the vehicle is heavy (can only go slowly). It has an Alucab, rooftop tent, fridge, drawer system and my recovery gear. But cringe every time I go on a trip. Just had carb overhauled so hoping it may help a bit - not holding my breathe though.
Bugs
grobbepj
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

And here I was complaining about getting 1400km on a 155l tank on my kzte... Wont again...
Regardt
Town: East London
Vehicle: Toyota Hillux D4d 3.0 4x4 AT DC

Post by Regardt »

HI everyone,

I have a 2009 Hilux 3.0 auto 4x4. 123000km on odo
I am getting 5.9km\l......
this figure intrigues me.
the petrol guys are getting the same, i drive very carefully, i have zero aftermarket parts on the vehicle, bf goodrich mud terrains, no canopy, standard height. all driving in town so far.
i can live with it if this is the norm, but if i can better it that would be great.
any ideas
thanks
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Bugsy(Evan), I had a 1994 2.4 P D/C (22R motor). Your best revs for optimum power was 3 100 which was about 105 km/h. I then averagedabout 7 - 7.5 km/l on a trip. Namibia & Bots are reasonably flat which give good average figures. Here in the Eastern Cape I averaged 6.5 because of the hills (nice Driving). Keep your foot at the same angle on the excelerator. Don't pump the excelerator. Every movement of the excelerator has the surge jet pumping an extra table spoon of fuel into the carburator. These then all add up to your higher consumption figures.

Andre, Try fit a bigger tank if you going to keep the vehicle. I fitted two 70 litre tanks next to each other & had the exhaust exiting behind the back door. If you fit an old steel tank then have it galvinised, otherwise you have a lot of hassels with rust in the tank. Connect the two tanks together close to the front, otherwise the drive shaft interferes with the connecting pipe. Only the right tank will have a gauge. The pipes to the carb pass under the vehicle between te seat & the door, where you can fit a tap to change over from inside the vehicle when it starts jerking from fuel starvation. The positioning of the connecting pipes between the tanks will determine the way your fuel guage works. Good Luck.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2

Post by cheetah »

My 4y sfa gee my niks meer as 6.2km/ l in die dorp nie langpad so 8km/l- teen 110km/uur-gelaai! Het ook 2x65l tenke. Dus n baie betroubare enjien, goedkoop, redelik beskikbaar en maklik om aan te werk!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

I am getting 6,4 km/l on my 22R 1995 Raider.
Frikadel
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Oos Rand
Vehicle: 2013 Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4

Post by Frikadel »

Regardt wrote:HI everyone,

the petrol guys are getting the same, i drive very carefully, i have zero aftermarket parts on the vehicle, bf goodrich mud terrains, no canopy, standard height. all driving in town so far.
i can live with it if this is the norm, but if i can better it that would be great.
any ideas
thanks
Regardt,

That is not normal. My 2013 3.0D4D D/C 4x4 give me 9km/l on every day commuting and traffic.
wim
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Vryheid
Vehicle: 95 hilux d/c Hilex

Post by wim »

My 1995 22r hilux coud never get better than 6.3 km/l, after lexus conversion same consumption in town but up to 7.8km/l on open road.
My 2009 3l d4d 9.4km/l in town goes up to 10.1 on the open road.
Old Wimblik my old Hilux with the lexus engin is heavy on feul but can not consume petrol faster than me filling it up so Irecon its got a not to bad consumpsion.
ImageImageImage
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

any ideas
thanks
There is something seriously wrong there...

I have a 2008, TJM Integrated bullbar, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Chip, Long range tank and i get 10km/l in town driving conditions, towing a caravan it comes down to 8.5km/l at the very worst..
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

I'm getting 4.5 to 5km/l on my 4Y but I have 33" tyres too.....

The roof top tent on your bakkie acts like a parachute so your consumption will be quite high :think:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Frikadel
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Oos Rand
Vehicle: 2013 Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4

Post by Frikadel »

Dewald Posthumus wrote:

any ideas
thanks

I have a 2008, TJM Integrated bullbar, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Chip, Long range tank and i get 10km/l in town driving conditions, towing a caravan it comes down to 8.5km/l at the very worst..
Dewald, ek stem saam. My Hilux is ń 2013 model met 11000 km op die klokke. Dalk nog biki styf.
Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Frikadel wrote:
Dewald Posthumus wrote:

any ideas
thanks

Dewald, ek stem saam. My Hilux is ń 2013 model met 11000 km op die klokke. Dalk nog biki styf.
Ek kry ook so +-10km/l is dit nie daai auto box wat soveel stont maak nie?
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

[/quote]Ek kry ook so +-10km/l is dit nie daai auto box wat soveel stont maak nie?[/quote]

Injectors as jy my vra..
Bazzer
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2700i DC 4x4, Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D 4x4 Auto

Post by Bazzer »

any ideas
thanks
I have a 2010 3.0 D4D auto, and my average consumption over 38 fill ups is 8.67km/l, best 10.15km/l, worst 7.45km/l (towing a boat). I calculate this at every fill up and dont rely on the onboard reading, which on average under reads by about 0.4km/l . The only extra I have on is an alu canopy.
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: midrand
Vehicle: TOYOTA HILUX

Post by mudavanhu »

where can i get a long range tank or fit extra tank
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

What year model? if it's not too old you should be able to get from ARB agents. Other option is to have the existing tank modified or a new one made up.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mudavanhu »

year 2000',2,7 double cab
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Doubt that you will still get off the shelf but you never know ... someone might still have old stock. Otherwise you will have to try find 2nd hand or fabricate from scratch or modify the existing one. Least desirable option is to fit a 2nd tank ... lots of issues.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mudavanhu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mudavanhu »

ok i will look around,thanks for your input
Ruffian
Town: Grahamstown
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux 2200

Post by Ruffian »

I don’t feel too bad then: I have a ‘90 4y SFA with 320k ks on the clock and I get between 8 and 9.5 kpl... traveling at my sweet spot of 2500 revs on the open road...

The worst I got on the open road was 7kpl ( into a very strong wind for 800 ks) and the best ever was a staggering 11.5 kilometers with a stupendous tail wind.

These old beasts prefer to be driven sedately ... I would never ‘cruise’ at anything more than 100.. :mrgreen:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”