Moving from 2.7 to diesel.. Is it worth it?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
emilevdh
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Underberg
Vehicle: 99 2.7 Raider; ex Defender tdi

Moving from 2.7 to diesel.. Is it worth it?

Post by emilevdh »

Over the past 12 months or so I have seen several members selling their 2.7's and going to diesel.

I have had my bakkie for 18 months now - bought off the fourm - and I have been really happy with it. Of course I am comparing maintenance having come from a Defender Tdi; so I have been amazed how reliable this bakkie has been. The only issues I have had have been very small or expected wear and tear, and very little to date.

My only gripe of course is the petrol usage. Which is between 11.5-12.5l/100km, because we live out of the city where the nearest traffic jam or robot is about 100km away. Otherwise it would be 13.5l/100km.

I have heard that the kzte is not much lighter than the 2.7.

Are the guys that have made the switch happy?
If I found a kzte could I get a reliable 10l/100km out of it?
Have you found the maintenance costs to be a lot higher?

I have been looking at the net for possible diesel replacements, but nothing seems to catch my eye, and I am scared off by most of them.
optirite
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort Dam
Vehicle: 1993 80 Series Land Cruiser (3UZ-VVTi)
Club VHF Licence: J91

Re: Moving from 2.7 to diesel.. Is it worth it?

Post by optirite »

No.
Do the sums of maintenance and engine replacements between petrol and diesel. The 2.7 petrol is also bullet proof and can rev. The diesel not.
Image kiss kiss
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

No you might save 1 or 2 km/l
You will have to do more regular services
The engine might not last as long as the 2.7

Work out the cost of the modification and if you save 2 km/l see how many kilos you have to drive to only make up that cost.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

I did the change from 2.7 to KZ.Cost wise its not worth it.
But I really like my oil burner.One day when this motor is finished I will replace the motor with maybe a D4D and will be a lot easier since its already a diesel.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Be very wary of a diesel which is not known to you as they do not like to be revved too much, and buying one that has a troubled history can be a costly mistake. I bought a new one and am very happy with my purchase, which is a long term project. I will hopefully be prepared for the injector replacements and any other eventualities when they arrive.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2002 D/C KZTE 4x4

Post by ROBERT »

I drive a KZTE and my friend a 2.7 if we go away together, similarly loaded, driving in convoy, he gets 6.5-7.5km/l I get between 8 and 9km/l and anywhere above 120 I get max 8km/l
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Post by JamesC »

Never can it be worth it...do the sums carefully and plan on maintenance costs over a period and petrol beats diesel time and time again...yawn...

Besides, with that bulletproof 2.7 you will never have a little voice in the back of your head when you watch the heat guage...on the uphills fully loaded with the aircon on...
James Cameron
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

A Kz will NOT give you 10L/100km!

Tried and tested over 314000km.

But all the nay-sayers - my truck is now on 378 000km and still mechanically untouched and going strong!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Post by JamesC »

I was waiting for you Thabo.... :cooldude:
James Cameron
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Thabogrobler wrote:A Kz will NOT give you 10L/100km!

But all the nay-sayers - my truck is now on 378 000km and still mechanically untouched and going strong!
Cannot say untouched, but on 325000:D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
emilevdh
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Underberg
Vehicle: 99 2.7 Raider; ex Defender tdi

Post by emilevdh »

Thank you for all the answers guys!

It has been the reasoning that has kept me from making any rash decisions; but seeing so many others in the same boat making the decision to swap made me wonder...

I am looking at a little Honda XR125 for the small trips to the shops etc.
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

1st time i've heard a KZ owner above 300 000km with no troubles.

Normally the troubles start at 220 000km. But, it depends how well you look after a diesel.
Sent from my iPhone
Christian Kuun
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 2008 Tuna V6 4x4 Manual

Post by Christian Kuun »

New, maybe worth it if the purchase price is close. Second hand....nooit! Because of the perception that diesels are lighter on juice, their prices tend to be forced upwards in the used department. You will have done 200 000km by the time you have nullified the purchase cost difference. Secondly, and probably MY MOST IMPORTANT factor is that a diesel is a lot more finicky when it comes to services, driving styles etc. If you happen to get a diesel that belonged to a bloke that drove the thing to warm up at 160km/h, it will die sooner than you think. With what services are concerned, I don't believe in servicing vehicles, especially 4x4's, every 20 000km. It is cheap enough to do a petrol every 10k and a diesel every 7500km and they will stay loyal. You want a 4x4, accept the running costs.

Also, how do you drive? I just cant understand these okes who buy a diesel because its lighter on juice and then insist on driving 140km/h, just for them to moan that they aren't getting more than 8km/l. A diesel is not made to drive fast and you will bugger up the engine too with raised EGT's. If you are a 120 max type person, you might benefit from the better fuel consumption and the engine will last.

I also cringe everytime I stop at the fuel pump, and it isn't lekker, but I try to keep reminding myself of the R40 000 saving on purchase price. Its hard, but I try. Alternatively, get a V6 and when you floor it, all the fuel worries get forgotten. :cooldude:
Wynkop Kuun

O82 6l5 8lO5
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Rebel 4x4 wrote:

1st time i've heard a KZ owner above 300 000km with no troubles.

Normally the troubles start at 220 000km. But, it depends how well you look after a diesel.
Mine I opened on 325 000km, only turbo had began to blow white smoke, but I did a complete overhaul just for my own peace of mind as I did not know how it was previously driven, besides I don't plan to sell it and I drive it not above 2500 rpm, so I can easily expect another 300 000+ kilometers. Next year I finish paying it off and that money can be channeled elsewhere, most likely towards property.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

emilevdh wrote:Thank you for all the answers guys!

It has been the reasoning that has kept me from making any rash decisions; but seeing so many others in the same boat making the decision to swap made me wonder...

The smaller car is a good idea. I do about x1 tank a month on my 2.7, must be lightest on fuel of all the 2.7's out there. Okay more on a serious note, I drive it mostly on weekends and try to always do that so he do not stand for too long periods. I also thought of going the KZ way. I do not do that much mileage and I love the sound of the 2.7 when he charge up a dune. Only the 4l petrol has a better sound.
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Gideonvanzyl wrote:
emilevdh wrote:Thank you for all the answers guys!

Only the 4l petrol has a better sound.
Beautiful.......
T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

Post by yotaman »

I had a KZ before the 2.7i but it was a short wheel 3 door Prado. Nice vehicle (save the fact it does not boast a diff lock!) but I got rid of it simply because of that little rascal on my shoulder whispering "i'm gonna get you I,m gonna get you!" The KZ is nice but its just not as reliable as the 2.7i If you are fastidious and look after the KZ it will serve you well. :thumbup: but to exchange it for one of the most reliable petrol engines around I'm not too sure that's wise. The small car route? now, that's a good plan :taunt:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”