Healthy Toyota???

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Mr H
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 3 d4d Fortuner

Healthy Toyota???

Post by Mr H »

Good day Chaps...
I own the 3000D(5L motor)4x4 d/cab, Toy with turbo, intercooler,oil cooler.I bought her like this.She has 171.000 km on the clock my question is how can I see how healthy the engin is :? people say Toyota should never have put the turbo on these motors! :( My driving style is of a old man with "piles", meaning slow, not faster than 120kmh, let her cool off after long drives and so on. Should I take her for compression test? and what else must I look for/at. And what should I do to keep her till the end of time? I service her regulary, like my other car Jetta '85(Old Faithfull)bought it after turning 21. :oops:
Can't reply/discuss regulary because my PC packed-up last week, so don't think I'm rude if I don't reply. :roll:
iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Re: Healthy Toyota???

Post by iHilux »

A compression test will give you a good indication of the state of you rings, hence compression within the engine.

Failure's due to turbo implants on a normal asspirated diesel engine, are really cause by the stress from the higher output expected from the engine, and over heating causing head failure if not driven properly. A current compression test will not give you any indication of the state of damaged cause by a turbo, unless it's already too late.

You do not mention whether you have owned the vehicle from new, but if you have, and have driven in the manner you mentioned, then there is now reason for concern.

Although not a good option to fit the turbo, if driven correctly, you should have no problems. The problems occur when these engines are "pushed" past their limits (and the turbo allows this), but is the same for all turbo engines. The biggest advise I can give is not to labour the engine. IOW, when on the open road and coming to an incline, do not put your flat and "push" up the hill, rather change down to 4th, increase the RPM & relax on the acclerator, and "pull" up the hill. Always remember to "idle down" after extended trips.

Hope this helps a little
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: Healthy Toyota???

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Contact Barlow World or a company called Oil Check, they will send you some glass sample bottles, you then have to take some oil from the engine, gearbox, transfer case and the front and rear diffs, put a sample from each of the components into each bottle, sent them to Oil Check and they will then do some testing of the oil and give you a report on the condition of the various drive train components.

There is a cost envolved here, not sure what it costs now, but this is what I recommend you to do.

Yes the compression test will give you an idea of the compression, but not a true reading, the reason why I say this is because the valves open and close when this test is done, a dummy injector will have to be used, which I am sure you will not have, to do a comprsssion test on a diesel engine is different to a petrol engine where the sparkplugs are removed and the tester either screwed in or a rubber insert is stuck in the hole, also when a compression test is done (for the petrol guys) remove the coil HT Lead from the coil.

But basically maintenance is the best way to look after your vehicle, change the anti-freeze and brake fluid as well.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”