Hilux clutch fail

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Tyrone D4D
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D

Hilux clutch fail

Post by Tyrone D4D »

Hey guys.

My 2006 Hilux 3.0 D4D bakkie was going strong until I was on my way home now and the clutch pedal decided to stay flat on the ground.I tried to pump the pedal but it stayed down.What's wrong with my clutch guys???
Tyrone D4D
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: Hilux clutch fail

Post by Tyrone D4D »

Checked the pipe from the resevior and not blocked.Took metal pipe from master cylinder that feeds the slave cylinder no air in it and barely any fluid comin out.Also makes a hissing noise from the master.You think the master cylinder could be the fault?I need to get spares asap and stealers closed tomorrow.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yep, master cylinder. If you can get a kit from the stealers, it's normally a bit of a saving, but if you take labour time into account it's probably better to get a complete new unit. Don't go for the cheap generics, they don't work for too long before they start leaking. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tyrone D4D
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tyrone D4D »

I hope they open on saturday.Before I go to them I will get my dad to remove it and then we can decide if its worth getting the kit or replacing the unit.I won't waste my time with a generic with such a important part.Very funny my unit aint leaking but just completely failed.How much you think the unit will cost from stealers?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Not sure of the cost now, but I redid my clutch master on my '95 2x4 Hilux about a year or more back, the kit was a little under R400 and I did it myself so saved the labour cost.

Not difficult to take out ... it's just to disconnect the brake lines, unhook the spring from the pedal inside the cab, remove the clip and pin that attaches the pedal to the piston and undo the two mounting bolts on the firewall (engine bay side). The whole unit then comes out. IIRC there's a cir-clip at the back of the unit that holds the piston in, remove it and then the piston. You get a new piston and seals with the kit but you have hone and properly clean out the cylinder before fitting the new one - a light wipe on the seals with rubber grease helps to get them in without pinching or damaging them. From there is re-assemble following the above steps in reverse. Bleed the system and you're done. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Tyrone D4D
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tyrone D4D »

Hey.Replaced the Master cylinder(with generic thanks to stealers sleeping today)and seems its fixed up.Generic costs R1319.13 but I looked at the salesman and laughed and then got 45% off and paid R725.50.Generic is 100% identical to the unit I took out.Went in perfect,bleed the system and then adjusted the freeplay a little and now I'm a happy Toyota chappie.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Keep the old barrel, hone it out and give it a wipe with grease so that it doesn't rust (use rubber grease straight away if youy ahave so that you don't have to clean it up again when you need it), and when you got a gap, get a kit from Toyota, fit it, wrap the unit up nicely so that it stays clean and dry. If the generic gives you hassles later, you then have a refurbished OEM master on hand to be fitted. ;-)

Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

Post by Mars67 »

You don't get a kit for the master cylinder on the 3lt D4D from Toyota. Only for the slave cylinder. I am still trying to see if I can source the right seals for the master cylinder on these bakkies it will be a cheap and easy rebuild.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Mars67 wrote:You don't get a kit for the master cylinder on the 3lt D4D from Toyota. Only for the slave cylinder. I am still trying to see if I can source the right seals for the master cylinder on these bakkies it will be a cheap and easy rebuild.
Yoh! They keep for the SFA - assumed they would do the same for other models. :blink:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”