Soon to be owner...

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2007 4l V6 Hilux Raider D/C A/T

Soon to be owner...

Post by Giovann »

Hi,

The time has come for me to put my hatch back to rest and get my hands on a hilux. Would like some advice from existing onwers.

Im looking to spending arround R200k on 2010+ 2.5/3 D4D Double Cab for recreational use as well as a daily runner. I do fair amount of long distance, and find my self on gravel roads almost every weekend.

My concern is that with my budget I would have to get something with relatively high milage probably in the regions of or well over 100kms. I would never take a high milage sedan/hatchback but I'm told that the Hilux is notirious for its durability and long life span.

After how many kms do you typically have to replace things like clutch, cvs, joints etc. and are we talking like a couple of hundred rand for parts or in regions of a R1000+. What other wear and tear parts do you have to watch out for. Also what would minor/major services cost as well as insurance on this type of vehicle.

Should I be fine taking something like that where milage is concerned, or am I still setting my self up for a world of financial hurt?
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Re: Soon to be owner...

Post by Thunder02 »

Welcome, as to all your questions, it's a hilux and we are not going to admit to it's down falls if any. :tease:

I'm sure the guys will give you some great advice for your purchase. :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Sebata
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

welcome home :thumbup:
i bought my 2006 V6, was on 150 000km its now on 220 000km and still not worried about replacing anything :thumbup:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I can comment on the 3lt D4D. Mine has done 244 000 ks. I had the clutch fork assembly replaced by Toyota as it was noisy (sounding like a cricket) around 40 000 ks. Toyota supplied the parts. The clutch was not replaced. I replaced the water pump on 190000 ks when it started to leak. Toyota recently replaced the spiral cable in the steering wheel to fix a known fault of the airbag light staying on due to the cable failing. I also replaced the cambelt tensioner and pulley at 150 000 ks when the light came on. Other than that I have had absolutely no issues and the bakkie is going well. I can see a clutch replacement in the not too distant future though as I sometimes have a slight shudder on take off. I replaced the gearbox and transfer case oil with Castrol Syntrans.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2007 4l V6 Hilux Raider D/C A/T

Post by Giovann »

Mars wrote:I can comment on the 3lt D4D. Mine has done 244 000 ks. I had the clutch fork assembly replaced by Toyota as it was noisy (sounding like a cricket) around 40 000 ks. Toyota supplied the parts. The clutch was not replaced. I replaced the water pump on 190000 ks when it started to leak. Toyota recently replaced the spiral cable in the steering wheel to fix a known fault of the airbag light staying on due to the cable failing. I also replaced the cambelt tensioner and pulley at 150 000 ks when the light came on. Other than that I have had absolutely no issues and the bakkie is going well. I can see a clutch replacement in the not too distant future though as I sometimes have a slight shudder on take off. I replaced the gearbox and transfer case oil with Castrol Syntrans.

Thanks for the reply this what I was looking for :thumbup: . Doesnt sound bad to me... Thats more/less that I have to fix on my tiny car.

@Mars taking your repairs into consideration, in your opnion would say that its has a high/reasonable running costs?

As I said I would like to use it for re-creation as well, so I'm gonna hit dunes and trails as often as I can. Does doing this dramitically reduce the life span of the vehicle and parts or does it just take it like man....
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Seeing as I do all of the maintenance on the vehicle on my own my bakkie is actually very reasonable to run. It all depends on how you do your offroading. Driving like a hooligan is always going to cost you. I have done some pretty serious offroading with mine and you won't break it if you get some proper training, stick to the rules and use common sense.

Obviously driving on dirt/gravel roads a lot leads to more wear, particularly on some components such as shock absorbers and suspension bushes etc. and exposure to more dust may require more regular replacement of the air filter. These vehicles are tough and they can take it.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Giovann! :thumbup:

Get the Lux, you won't be disappointed! 100k km's on the clock is nothing, do your regular services / maintenance and it'll give you more than six times that. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Welcome Giovann (almost...) :)
True for any 2nd hand car, you do not know what the previous guy did to it, so having someone along who is knowledgable about cars when checking out possible candidates is a good idea.
That being said, a Hilux is probably bound to survive bad treatment better than most other bakkies out there.
I CAN tell you that it will last better than your Opel...
Of course we're pro-Hilux here. We like our Luxes. One of the reasons we like them is because they are reliable. Take care of your Lux, it'll take care of you.
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”