Hilux Shootout

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Hilux Shootout

Post by pietpetoors »

Whose Hilux is the biggest and Meanest of them all? Post details like Tyre Size, engine size, ground clearance and some nice photographs here.
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Re: Hilux Shootout

Post by Riceburner »

heres mine :mrgreen: I wish!
Attachments
pokerrun2003-5_l[1].jpg
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

No fair :( Mine is still a baby :!:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Riceburner »

92 D\C 4y
Detroit rear, Lockrite front
5.29 ring and pinion gears
4.7:1 lowrange
Safari snorker
32/36 weber carb
ARB bumper, IPF 900XS lights
Procomp Xtreme alloy 10x15 wheels
33x12.5x15 BFG Muds
Custom dents and scratches.
Attachments
heavilymodifiedhiluxgg9.jpg
Greenhorn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2700i SRX Hilux

Post by Greenhorn »

The polar hilux
Attachments
polar_hilux.jpg
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Mine is not that big yet, but watch this space :lol: :lol: :lol:

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Hi Bennie, your's is not that big yet, but so beautiful. All it need for now is bigger wheels. I am sure with the body lift you should easily get 32" fitted without moving the diff forward?
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hay Bennie

Great looking van :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

pietpetoors wrote:Hi Bennie, your's is not that big yet, but so beautiful. All it need for now is bigger wheels. I am sure with the body lift you should easily get 32" fitted without moving the diff forward?
I need to move the diff or do some other mod as is due to my font suspension blades. I installed the Procomp 2.5 inch kit but it came with a bump stop extension. Then due to the engine and bull-bar weight the front sagged so much that there were only about an inch upwards travel left. I then removed the bump stop extension and now the front articulates very nicely but the wheels do catch if I articulate and turn sharp and the same time. But I do not want to add an extra blade to the front as the normal train of thought would be, because then I would loose flex.

If you look at the Hilux design with reference to the shackle movement, when the suspension travels upwards and the blades become “longer” when they become flat, the axle effectively move backwards. That is why the wheels the catch.

So I would have to either, move the axle forward a bit, add spacers between the diff and blades or extend the shackle and the hanger. I actually like the last idea the most. I was actually thinking that I could make a "sub-frame" that bolt onto my chassis and then fix the shackle and hanger to it.

If you are clever you can make this sub-frame in such a way that you can play with the axle position as well. The things to consider when you play with these dimensions are the length of the torque bar, drag link as well us the front prop shaft.

See this guy’s frame in place. I am not sure, but I would rather bolt it into the existing chassis rather then welding it on. (What do our resident mechanical engineers think would be the strongest option?)

See the extra set of holes on the hanger. It would be as simple as shifting on bolt to move the axle forward and backward. Well almost, but together with an adjustable draglink and torque bar it would be fairly easy to do.

Now I have another question for the clever mechanical engineering okes here. Would it be better to make a longer shackle that mounts at the normal position or make this sub-frame longer and also mount the standard length shackles on the sub-frame?

The other thing to consider is the angles on the Universal joints. I have seen some highly lifted Toyotas where this angle up front is very big. So you can tilt the axle to decrease this angle but my concern with this is the pinion bearing. If you tilt the axle, will this bearing still be lubricated , or can you "overfill" the diff so that oil level still reach there?

P.S

I ordered 50mm bodyspacers from RiceBurner which I will receive by the end of the week. But I am doing it to have more space in the engine bay primarily. :wink:

P.P.S

Hows this for front suspension travel?

iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Post by iHilux »

Although overland ready........

I know she's not the biggest, but oh, quite capable me thinks...

Will now also introduce my Hilux in "Members Rides"...
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Riceburner »

You must admit that shape of hilux must be the sexiest looking 4x on the road
Attachments
129_0607_08_z+1987_toyota_pickup+drivers_side_view.jpg
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Hi Wade

Have you seen this pic of Riceburner :?:

Behind him is me wheeling in your Van at Rust de Winter 8) 8)
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Riceburner »

No pic :shock:
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Concerning the question of bolting or welding, I will answer like this.

Depending who will be doing the welding, what machine will be used, if the welder person is a coded welderthese various factors must be taken into consideration, however I recon that a combination of welding and bolting must be used, too much welding can cause distortion in the frame work, welding also weakens the chassis in various places.

When a person does a modification like this, he has already accepted the fact that if it does not work or if he wants to bring his vehicle back to STD all he has to do is grind the welds off and remove the sub frame, however if he wanted to sell the vehicle at a later stage, the vehicle would have to go for a roadworthy test and the examiner would then ask for the coded welding certificate to be produced.
Which also has to be passed by The SABS,

Concerning the lengthening of the shackles, I would say rather just use the std ones, the reason is because the heigher you go the less stable this vehicle will become when concerning a suspension lift like this, I may be wrong but this is my reasoning.

I like this idea very much, please pass on the web site details where you got this info from.

Concerning the ront Propshaft, maybe you can fit a double cardan joint to each end of the propshaft, wedges under the springs might also help with the angles, I recon it will be a trial and error thing here, the same as it has been with the fitment of a front propshaft to my Hilux at the rear, this is when I removed the two piece propshaft and have done away with the centre bearing, yes I have also picked up a vibration, but found out only ater that it was caused from the output rear of the transfer case, the bearing had packed p due to not enough lubrication.

Concerning your question of oil in the diff, just overfill it and I am sure that it will be sufficient, you must remember that you will be using the front diff only for off-road and thus yes it can heat up, but the oil will be enough.
It is splash lub and as long as there is oil, it will get to all the places as required, just make sure that you do not have water comtamination in the oil and that it is replaced with new often, I would say every 6000km this is off-road use.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Photo showing what true articulation is all about on a Hilux

http://www.superiorengineering.com.au

Michael supplied us with the revolver shackles from Australia, he also suppliers other stuff.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”